Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2016, 08:53 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,154,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
It would be a better use of land than the Goodyear.
It does amaze me that place still hasn't been developed into anything more than that after all of these years.

Old 08-12-2016, 08:56 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,030,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
It does amaze me that place still hasn't been developed into anything more than that after all of these years.
The Pittsburgh Cultural Trust owns the Goodyear building and its parking lot. Presumably they'll redevelop it in their own sweet time.

Old 08-12-2016, 09:53 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,982,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
They probably do pretty good business with downtown employees dropping their car off for inspection in the morning, walking to work, and picking it up at the end of the day.

Old 08-12-2016, 11:38 AM

1,901 posts, read 4,379,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins2 View Post
Please keep in mind that the kids that caused the confusion at Monroeville Mall over the Christmas holiday and the kids that fight in and around downtown are the same kids. Most of them attend alternative schools like Clayton. These kids come from families that ignore / condone illicit behavior. The parents and relatives of these children were in the news doing the same things in the 80's and 90's. This is an iniquitous cycle and in biblical times it would be considered a family curse. Working and middle class "decent" black folk have had to deal with these families for years now. It is a vicious cycle and it involves the same families. Many of the families impacted by senseless murder or acts of violence have dealt with this before. I see some of the names of the children killed on the city streets and many of them were orphaned in the 1990's and early 2000's. Middle class and working class teenagers have to deal with this. Good kids can become a victim by simply walking down the street at the wrong time. My daughter went to the Regatta on Friday and did not encounter any of this.
The truth...
Quote:
I don't think this is true at all. They chose Downtown for two reasons:

1. It's neutral territory, while many of their home neighborhoods are nominally gang affiliated. Presumably they were looking for a fistfight, after all, not to get shot.

2. Many of these kids don't have cars, but can easily catch a bus to Downtown.
You're exactly right...

Old 08-12-2016, 11:43 AM

41,016 posts, read 18,207,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptown kid View Post
The truth...

You're exactly right...
Since there are some of you here that seem to know all about these problems, kids, how they operate, etc..., are you participating to help the kids or anything to help fix the problems or just watching it continue and talking about it?

It sure sounds like you guys could get through to the misguided and misunderstood youth before something serious happens.

Old 08-12-2016, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
This almost sounds like Wendy Bell could have written it.

I suspect your daughter knew where to go and where not to go.
Not necessarily. I'd presume that your daughter or niece would the same lack of knowledge. As middle class black youth can often still be completely separated from the happenings of the inner city Pittsburgh streets.

Old 08-12-2016, 11:50 AM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
Quote:
Not necessarily. I'd presume that your daughter or niece would the same lack of knowledge. As middle class black youth can often still be completely separated from the happenings of the inner city Pittsburgh streets.
With social media running all young people's lives, I just figured everyone knows where and when this is going to happen these days, but I suspect you would need to know some of the youths that like to go downtown to box.

Old 08-12-2016, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Since there are some of you here that seem to know all about these problems, kids, how they operate, etc..., are you participating to do something about it or just watching it continue?
Right now not really just watching it continue. . The entire generation of 1998-2001 born kids need a miracle... They're already too deep into the gangster life. I have hope for their younger sibling's generation and I help out individuals who seek a way out the best way that I can. To answer your question IMO: I'm also not in the best position to help these kids as say the One Life or PIRC non-law enforcement workers.

Old 08-12-2016, 12:07 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,207,721 times
Quote:
Right now not really just watching it continue. . The entire generation of 1998-2001 born kids need a miracle... They're already too deep into the gangster life. I have hope for their younger sibling's generation and I help out individuals who seek a way out the best way that I can. To answer your question IMO: I'm also not in the best position to help these kids as say the One Life or PIRC non-law enforcement workers.
It's a sad deal, especially when those who know all about it and tell everyone why it happens and while many defend actions against it don't do more about it. When something serious happens and someone gets badly injured or killed, society will be blamed by those who could help but won't.

Old 08-12-2016, 12:35 PM

4,177 posts, read 2,958,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
It's a sad deal, especially when those who know all about it and tell everyone why it happens and while many defend actions against it don't do more about it. When something serious happens and someone gets badly injured or killed, society will be blamed by those who could help but won't.
I volunteer with

Pittsburgh Promise - Black male professional mentor.

Petra International Ministries - Youth church.

Lincoln Lemington Youth Football Team.

Mentor and encourage neighborhood kids.

Distribute toys for tots.

What to you do?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh