Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2017, 08:03 AM

1,577 posts, read 1,282,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdv8 View Post
It is a problem outside of the City too, but we are the punching bag. Fighting isn't great. Drug shootings are very bad, and nowhere is completely immune.

Arrest made in shooting in Cranberry Township | WPXI

“My goodness, yeah, never heard of any shooting here,” said Koebler. “I mean, it's a real nice neighborhood. But, oh gosh, it's falling apart.”
Ignoring the irrelevant story about cranberry, you are saying that this pittsburgh centered forum shouldn't talk about a pittsburgh event in the central business district? i understand things are blown our of proportion but i don't see the harm here. yes the news is terrible with these types of things but i think that is even more of a reason to discuss this to find out the real problems.

Old 08-09-2017, 08:04 AM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
It's probably because we see the race-baiting in your histrionics. No one posts about the seventeen arrests at each Steelers game.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...=.dd17e1e7f775
I do agree to a point about the potential of race baiting, but I haven't read it on here this time around. I think we need to focus on a better solution than police muscle. These kids know this is going down and they all show up. That should be an advantage. Maybe pure kindness and have adults show up with pizza and cake and people just treat the kids great instead. Maybe it would be so shocking they would just chill. I don't have a good answer, but there has to be some angle we are missing.

As far as the Steeler games, I read that article and the most important part is the very end. The data is total BS. Arrests for what? Public drunkenness? Peeing on the sidewalk? Underage drinking? The article is a fabrication because the data isn't specific and is totally incomplete. The Washington Post is a joke. Anyway, it doesn't matter. How do we fix this continual problem of these fights, or do we just figure kids will be kids and let it go on? I have a feeling you would have a lot to offer and so would wpipkins as far as a solution or some ideas, but anger over someone posting about it isn't a solution. Do I think cake and pizza would work? I don't even know how you would stop the kids long enough for them to get the fact that they are being offered something and people are just wanting to treat them with kindness and respect. What would happen?

Old 08-09-2017, 08:44 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,879,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcider View Post
Don't know how they'd enforce it but maybe kids under 18 have to have a parent with them to attend these events. This is just as unacceptable as the ongoing violence in the South Side and the shootings all over the city, and REGION. I do not accept it, I don't appreciate the insinuation that I have a lower set of standards for myself and family because I choose to live in the city either.
When ones reaction to these ongoing issues at this particular part of the city during family friendly events is something akin to 'how dare you even bring this up you racist', that's ignoring the problem & accepting low standards for behavior of those that show up to events in those areas that apparently can't help themselves but to start brawling. Such actions will continue as long as the consequences of acting in such uncivilized ways remain virtually nonexistent & people continue to downplay such things as no big deal.

Old 08-09-2017, 08:49 AM

969 posts, read 771,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul2421 View Post
Ignoring the irrelevant story about cranberry, you are saying that this pittsburgh centered forum shouldn't talk about a pittsburgh event in the central business district? i understand things are blown our of proportion but i don't see the harm here. yes the news is terrible with these types of things but i think that is even more of a reason to discuss this to find out the real problems.
My point was it's a tired conversation started by the usual suspects who come to the same conclusions and then the other usual suspects state a rebuttal and it devolves from there. But, yeah, by all means go through the motions - maybe you will figure it out this time? But mostly it just reads like CBD/City leadership bash with defensive stances in response.

I had a great time at the Regatta, it was my first time.down in a decade. I didn't see any real mischief, and if I did I sure as hell wouldn't need to clean my pants afterwards.

Old 08-09-2017, 08:53 AM

3,110 posts, read 2,915,413 times
Quote:
My point was it's a tired conversation started by the usual suspects who come to the same conclusions and then the other usual suspects state a rebuttal and it devolves from there. But, yeah, by all means go through the motions - maybe you will figure it out this time? But mostly it just reads like CBD/City leadership bash with defensive stances in response.

I had a great time at the Regatta, it was my first time.down in a decade. I didn't see any real mischief, and if I did I sure as hell wouldn't need to clean my pants afterwards.
Every year it’s the same thing on this thread....some high school kids fight (or riot depending on who is posting), people are afraid to go downtown, three people chime in that we need to “crack some heads” or whatever, they arrest some kids, things settle down, people never stop going downtown no matter what, someone calls the mayor Bicycle Bill, race baiting, dog whistles, etc, etc...12 months later we reboot and start again. All the while life goes on....

Old 08-09-2017, 09:26 AM

41,018 posts, read 18,189,699 times
Quote:
It is a problem outside of the City too, but we are the punching bag. Fighting isn't great. Drug shootings are very bad, and nowhere is completely immune.

Arrest made in shooting in Cranberry Township | WPXI

“My goodness, yeah, never heard of any shooting here,” said Koebler. “I mean, it's a real nice neighborhood. But, oh gosh, it's falling apart.”
Thanks for the info, we can always use some excitement muphere every so often. Hopefully they all get arrested.

Old 08-09-2017, 09:38 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,148,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
Every year it’s the same thing on this thread....some high school kids fight (or riot depending on who is posting), people are afraid to go downtown, three people chime in that we need to “crack some heads” or whatever, they arrest some kids, things settle down, people never stop going downtown no matter what, someone calls the mayor Bicycle Bill, race baiting, dog whistles, etc, etc...12 months later we reboot and start again. All the while life goes on....
"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to PghYinzer again."

I have been going Downtown daily for over 10 years now and I can honestly say it is much better now than in let's say 2005.

Old 08-09-2017, 09:44 AM

2,401 posts, read 2,100,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
Yup, circle jerk. It gets the people fired up until stuff settles down and then one of the regular sky is falling types here regurgitate this conversation.

Old 08-09-2017, 10:25 AM

6,357 posts, read 5,050,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcider View Post
Yup, circle jerk. It gets the people fired up until stuff settles down and then one of the regular sky is falling types here regurgitate this conversation.
but no one is saying the sky is falling. no one is swearing off downtown. i feel these things are stated in your comment are to characterize some people as overly fearful and pessimistic.

i will leave this thread - but i am amazed that people are not disturbed that kids are again beating the hell out of each other...on the street and into local businesses...with at least one knife.

Old 08-09-2017, 10:28 AM

41,018 posts, read 18,189,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
but no one is saying the sky is falling. no one is swearing off downtown.

i will leave this thread - but i am amazed that people are not disturbed that kids are again beating the hell out of each other...on the street...with at least one weapon.
They think it's no big deal and obviously why these criminals think it's no big deal.

Personally, I don't know anyone that's afraid to go downtown. However, these hoodlums are a problem and deserve to get punished for it. If you can't do the time, don't do the crime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh