Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2016, 08:10 PM

4,177 posts, read 2,957,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
You know, I was thinking about this quite a bit because I really need to hear from you more and think about what you say. You might be correct that this has been going on for years. Heck Pittsburgh was a pretty dangerous place when I was a teen and going down there back in the day. Even skipping school and hanging out on Liberty Ave playing pinball was dangerous. Some of my friends were held up at gunpoint in the middle of the day. People would get robbed often downtown, hookers all over the place, pimps and drugs too boot. Pittsburgh has cleaned up a lot from the 80's and early 90's.

Maybe it is just social media that brings it to the surface. People are recording everything and if you aren't there you can be due to cell phones. I think we can do better, but maybe it is meaningless. I was pissed off about the shooting on the 4th! I was down here with my wife and I don't want to put my wife in danger. I live in danger everyday riding a bike around the city, so that is one thing, but I will not put my wife in harms way period.

Thanks WP. We need more input from you for balance.
GG im a grown ass man. I would never let a bunch of children dictate my summer. I am very cautious but at the same time I dont play with effin kids. Ever. Im old school and ill just beat the crap out of them in a loving type of way. Kids need their asses kicked. Thats all.

Old 08-08-2016, 08:37 PM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,969,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
& unfortunately every discussion falls into this pointless bickering & no solutions are ever explored as a result.
What if???? What if the police gathered up all the young people that are causing this mess and loaded them up in a bunch of vans, took them to a laser tag place or some fun place and played with them until they were tired and took them home and told them, I hope you had fun. What if..... Can we do better?

Old 08-08-2016, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Is there anything for 16-20 year olds to do in Pittsburgh? These kids seem aimless. They're just wandering around in big groups because there's nothing else for them to do.
Again, I have said countless times these kids need open gyms in their own neighborhoods with mentors!!!!!!!! There is ONLY ONE answer! I am tired of people not understanding! It doesn't even take much money at all. Pittsburgh Schools have gyms! All you need is a few people to mentor! Goodness!!!!

Old 08-08-2016, 08:43 PM

Quote:
What if???? What if the police gathered up all the young people that are causing this mess and loaded them up in a bunch of vans, took them to a laser tag place or some fun place and played with them until they were tired and took them home and told them, I hope you had fun. What if..... Can we do better?
This scenario happens every summer and involves inner city kids. My son along with several friends participate in the city of Pittsburgh police camp for the youth. The kids are picked up in a flat black unmarked van. The kids do everything from bike riding to laser tag. The also volunteer with senior citizen centers around the city. Most kids are good.

Old 08-08-2016, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins2 View Post
GG im a grown ass man. I would never let a bunch of children dictate my summer. I am very cautious but at the same time I dont play with effin kids. Ever. Im old school and ill just beat the crap out of them in a loving type of way. Kids need their asses kicked. Thats all.
Yeah, I am a big dude myself and could beat the crap out of most all of them, but I am whitey. They would gather on me because they dream of getting a piece of whitey. You know it and I know it.

Anyway, I am getting too old and if my lady is with me I am not dealing with it because it might mean someone dies that day and someone will go to jail probably. I don't need all that, so I know to avoid it. I know things can escalate and I maybe in a certain mood that would take it all the way. Not what I want. Best to avoid for me. They wouldn't gang on you probably. It is different being a white guy. I know from personal experience and I am not a kid. You know I am telling it like it is.

Old 08-08-2016, 08:47 PM

Quote:
This scenario happens every summer and involves inner city kids. My son along with several friends participate in the city of Pittsburgh police camp for the youth. The kids are picked up in a flat black unmarked van. The kids do everything from bike riding to laser tag. The also volunteer with senior citizen centers around the city. Most kids are good.
Well why don't most folks know about this? You know about it, but I don't and I will bet most don't outside of the organization itself. Never heard of it. Is there a website or is it on line somehow? Sound awesome!

Old 08-08-2016, 09:04 PM

This might be some video. Sorry if it doesn't work.

https://www.facebook.com/wpxi/videos/10153719533261615/

Proof of the Ferguson Effect? Yep. Now everyone can blame the police for "not doing anything". Isn't it interesting how people can just blame police for all of this! You wanted them to "pull back" and you got it. ENJOY!

Old 08-08-2016, 09:17 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,200,791 times
Quote:
yeah, i am a big dude myself and could beat the crap out of most all of them, but i am whitey. They would gather on me because they dream of getting a piece of whitey. You know it and i know it.

Anyway, i am getting too old and if my lady is with me i am not dealing with it because it might mean someone dies that day and someone will go to jail probably. I don't need all that, so i know to avoid it. I know things can escalate and i maybe in a certain mood that would take it all the way. Not what i want. Best to avoid for me. They wouldn't gang on you probably. It is different being a white guy. I know from personal experience and i am not a kid. You know i am telling it like it is.
You 2 should team up and help handle this problem.

Old 08-08-2016, 09:19 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,200,791 times
Quote:
You 2 should team up and help handle this problem.

Old 08-08-2016, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Well why don't most folks know about this? You know about it, but I don't and I will bet most don't outside of the organization itself. Never heard of it. Is there a website or is it on line somehow? Sound awesome!
It is known and all slots seem to fill. I believe its called Cops and Kids. Its a city summer youth program so i am sure it run by Citiparks and recreation

Last edited by wpipkins2; 08-08-2016 at 09:34 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh