Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2016, 07:40 AM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,969,691 times

Advertisements

According to the article the airport is much too big and should be downsized because it feels empty.

http://www.post-gazette.com/business...s/201608110095
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2016, 07:47 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,591,772 times
Probably a good idea, but then why is Southwest making me trek to the far end of A Concourse to board planes?

Old 08-11-2016, 07:55 AM

4,240 posts, read 4,917,434 times
At first I thought this is just the airport admitting failure. But if the gates they plan to eliminate are obsolete, then from a money and maintenance standpoint maybe this is a good idea.

Old 08-11-2016, 08:07 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,893,724 times
And they're not physically demolishing any of the Airports body.. It will still have its X design. They're just removing gates to help it look less empty. I'm on board with this. And the Airport Executive stated the gates can easily be restored should growth ever exceed the reduced capacity.

Old 08-11-2016, 08:22 AM

1,776 posts, read 2,697,532 times
Agreed, if they're obsolete then I guess it makes sense. The airport finally seems to be in great hands with Christina Cassotis. Jumping from 37 destinations to 58 since she took over is pretty major. Once an airport has momentum like that it starts to fuel itself. Can't wait to see what they pull off next.

Old 08-11-2016, 11:36 AM

994 posts, read 900,926 times
"Eliminating gates could reduce operation and maintenance costs, provide more savings to the airlines, free up money for needed capital improvements, and create an airport more representative of the region’s arts, culture, and economic vibrancy, Ms. Cassotis said."

And there it is. Someone has an idea to spend lots of money on something else at the airport, and needs to "downsize" the current structure to make the "capital improvements" more tolerable.

Here's an idea. Use the savings from downsizing the airport on the hundreds of millions of dollars of debt still owed on the airport.

Old 08-11-2016, 12:00 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,251,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
Probably a good idea, but then why is Southwest making me trek to the far end of A Concourse to board planes?
Because exercise is good for you..😀

I'm always amazed the mall section is still open. That's what I figured they would take out before I read the article.

When I fly in to Pittsburgh, the airport doesn't seem empty. I feel I'm still in a crush of people, even though I duck into the phone kiosk area to call my sister, the head to the restroom and take my time, then head to the luggage carousel. I take my sweet time because I'll be sitting outside waiting any way.

I'll have to pay attention when I come home in October...

Old 08-11-2016, 12:26 PM

1,776 posts, read 2,697,532 times
^^ It really just depends on when you're there. During peak flight banks the place still feels like a hub, but then once those have left before the next arrivals, it gets sad really quickly.

Old 08-11-2016, 04:10 PM

369 posts, read 462,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by speagles84 View Post
At first I thought this is just the airport admitting failure. But if the gates they plan to eliminate are obsolete, then from a money and maintenance standpoint maybe this is a good idea.
The gates are pretty much all the same, so if one is obsolete then they all are. I don't get Ms. Cassotis' "obsolete" remark. How are they obsolete? To be clear, gates are the inside waiting areas, not the jetway (boarding bridge to the aircraft). They already removed several jetways. In the next 10 years the majority of aircraft serving PIT will be new generation B-737s, A-320s, and larger regional jets. There is nothing about them that would make the current gates obsolete.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
And they're not physically demolishing any of the Airports body..
Physically demolishing part of the terminal is exactly what they are talking about. That costs money. Why do this.... just to make the airport look less empty.

Old 08-11-2016, 04:54 PM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,969,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITairport View Post
The gates are pretty much all the same, so if one is obsolete then they all are. I don't get Ms. Cassotis' "obsolete" remark. How are they obsolete? To be clear, gates are the inside waiting areas, not the jetway (boarding bridge to the aircraft). They already removed several jetways. In the next 10 years the majority of aircraft serving PIT will be new generation B-737s, A-320s, and larger regional jets. There is nothing about them that would make the current gates obsolete.

Physically demolishing part of the terminal is exactly what they are talking about. That costs money. Why do this.... just to make the airport look less empty.
Thanks for chiming in PITairport. Nice to hear from someone that really knows the business well. Cassotis's remarks sounds like the typical remarks people make when they want to force something through. You know when someone wants to tear down a building, they say, well the roof is caving in or whatever it takes to promote their cause. Obsolete makes no sense at all of course. How else are you going to board a plane? If our gates are obsolete then so are the ones at every airport.

Personally, I wish they wouldn't tear anything down. Nothing wrong with open spaces. Sure when I arrive from ATL and compare the two airports, PIT is dead, but it is relaxing. Maybe embrace that and play nice music and such and also get rid of that news feed that is on the screen above the security checkpoint. That is horrible! No one wants to see all the terrorist crap and more when getting on a plane. Geez, what about using some common sense!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh