Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2016, 12:59 PM

1,491 posts, read 1,460,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingstonsMommy View Post
Ok, I'm definitely feeling better about the options. I just haven't had a clue on where to look and have only really heard Dormont and Mount Lebanon so this is definitely giving me some other ideas

As far as my wants in a neighborhood, I'm THINK I'm pretty easy to please now that I have a kid. I like to be close to a grocery store, a good yoga place, a nice daycare, a Target nearby would be nice, parks nearby would be cool, easy access to mall, and maybe easy access to the city on the rare occasion that I get a babysitter and go out.
moon township or sewickley would be good, as well as crafton or robinson depending on your preference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2016, 10:04 AM

93 posts, read 91,508 times
I'll chime in and also suggest Moon or Sewickley as well, and I will throw in Robinson Township as well. All have solid school districts (Moon, Quaker Valley and Montour, respectively) and have or are very close to shopping. The Robinson Town Center complex is a huge indoor and outdoor mall, a bit short on high-end shopping such as Nordstrom/Saks, but otherwise has everything you could ever want.

It appears that you are from Northern Jersey -- my wife lived there for many years, so I am somewhat familiar with that area. Sewickley is really the only area in Pittsburgh that I feel is similar -- a small, bustling, relatively wealthy town center surrounded by older housing. If that is what you are looking for, Sewickley is the place to go. One issue is that you will have to cross the 2-lane Sewickley bridge to get to Moon/Coraopolis, and traffic can back up somewhat during rush hour.

Moon and Robinson are all standard suburban-type areas, with lots of families, good roads and most likely close to your workplace.

Also, I do not know how much travel your new job would require, but all of these areas are very convenient to the airport.

Finally, Pittsburgh is an area (one of few remaining?) where it is generally cheaper to buy than rent, although I hasten to add I am not familiar with rental prices in Sewickley/Moon/Robinson. Assuming you move hear and decide to stay, I would rent for a year, and once you are familiar with the area I would go ahead and buy a residence.

Good luck and best wishes with your decision.

Old 08-14-2016, 10:18 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by punctus_contra_punctum View Post

Finally, Pittsburgh is an area (one of few remaining?) where it is generally cheaper to buy than rent, although I hasten to add I am not familiar with rental prices in Sewickley/Moon/Robinson.
A family member in Coraopolis bought a three bedroom house, because the mortgage/taxes were almost half the price of a two bedroom rental.

Old 08-14-2016, 11:25 AM

3,298 posts, read 3,891,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingstonsMommy View Post
Ummm so as I mentioned in the original post I would working in CORAOPOLIS.
Also, NO I don't need to necessarily live around AA's in a "black" neighborhood. I was raised in suburban NJ in a 95% white neighborhood and never felt uncomfortable and have also lived in Austin, Dallas, DC, and Philadelphia in "black" and "white" area and never felt uncomfortable. SOME diversity would be nice but I'm not sure what you mean by transition to black or white. I don't want to go back to my "black neighborhood" or "white neighborhood"... I want to go back to my SAFE neighborhood where I can raise my child. There's a difference between a place being ALL black or ALL white and just having a very limited amount of diversity. In any case I'm raising a black son and would like to make sure I'm raising him in an area where he will be treated fairly. PERIOD.
I've always found this notion of "diversity" to be a little pie in the sky. I'm from a mixed family and have lived all over the US. The truth is that I haven't come across a city yet that isn't separated by ethnic boundaries. People tend to gather with those that are they are most comfortable with and share a common background. Even the whites in Pittsburgh have various ethnic backgrounds, for instance the Irish, Italian, and Eastern European, that tend to have their own culture and historic neighborhoods.

I've heard rumors that Coraopolis is attempting to revitalize their downtown. That might be a plus for you.

Old 08-14-2016, 12:17 PM

3,595 posts, read 3,393,123 times
The problem with coraopolis is the school district, if I have a young child I would rather live in a better district for the same money.

Old 08-14-2016, 12:22 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy2073 View Post
The problem with coraopolis is the school district, if I have a young child I would rather live in a better district for the same money.
See post #7

Old 08-14-2016, 12:37 PM

3,595 posts, read 3,393,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
See post #7
The moon tax payers are not in favor of it, it may not happen

Old 08-14-2016, 01:43 PM

1,139 posts, read 2,496,883 times
Based on the OP's job being at a healthcare company, my guess is it is actually Cigna, Aetna, Bayer, or some other office building that is actually located near 376 in Moon, Robinson, or North Fayette Township, carrying the Coraopolis 15108 designation, and not actually in the Borough of Coraopolis.

I find it easier to search by school district in this area, than by using actual municipalities. My suggestions would be to search for a place in West Allegheny School District, Moon Area School District, or Montour School District.

With your budget you should be able to find a multi-bedroom condo or townhouse to rent in a safe area that is convenient to work, schools, and amenities. Craigslist is beneficial for places that are for rent by owner, or I can suggest some actual developments to look into (The Polo Club, Ventana Hills, Forest Glen, Highlands at Montour Run, Walden Woods, Hawthorne Village, Pleasantview Estates, Waterford Landing, Chestnut Ridge, and the list goes on).

Old 08-15-2016, 09:33 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,530,984 times
Personally, I would be more interested in daycare right now than school district. Our kids are in school now but when they were in daycare our daycare was affordable. On the other hand we had friends that paid 1200 a month per kid.

Old 08-15-2016, 11:21 AM

4 posts, read 4,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobrob View Post
Personally, I would be more interested in daycare right now than school district. Our kids are in school now but when they were in daycare our daycare was affordable. On the other hand we had friends that paid 1200 a month per kid.
Yes, daycare is definitely a concern. I'm calling around today trying to get an idea of how much it is there and which ones have space. I was paying $1200 in Atlanta for him but he's been home with me this summer since I work remotely right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh