Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2017, 08:23 AM

969 posts, read 772,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enough_Already View Post
When people start responding like you did I know it is even more likely. This company has deep rooted mangement problems that are already hurting its business.
My response to you was as filled with insight as yours, only it lacked the negativity.

Posts yours go largely ignored because of their gloom and doom nature. Constant negativity and poor comparisons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2017, 08:27 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VASpaceMan View Post
We'll check back in with you and UKYank when both of you, and most people you know, can no longer get a job and provide for your families. Accelerating technology including machine learning will make more and more industries obsolete before new ones can take their place. I say this as a techie. What happens when there's 15% unemployment, how about 35%. 55%? 85%? I wonder at which percentage number the worlds cities are set ablaze..
Yes, let's go back to making buggy whips. You're not going to stop technology.

Old 03-15-2017, 08:41 AM

2,109 posts, read 2,159,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Yes, let's go back to making buggy whips. You're not going to stop technology.
Yeah I tried not to respond to that bait. We may be entering a paradigm shift whereby automation supplants the need for a lot of human labor. That is a global issue. Trying to solve it by putting a plastic gate in front of a moving train won't do much.

We will need to figure that one out as a human race. I've heard varying interpretations on what that could mean, but there isn't much one can do other than learn some practical skills and figure out what makes one happy.

Old 03-15-2017, 08:50 AM

3,291 posts, read 2,771,337 times
No company can be the "next" Enron. Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac, and Countrywide already took care of that a decade ago.

Old 03-15-2017, 09:37 AM

41,016 posts, read 18,200,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enough_Already View Post
Not yet but it is certainly a possibility when you have a management team and CEO as arrogant as the one managing Uber. Lots of people do not approve of the methods and atmosphere inside Uber. Uber is pricing its service well below cost. They will need frequent infusions of capital which could be limited in the sources of that capital do not approve of Uber management. Enron is just one example. Many large organizations have just disappeared for similar reasons.
Arrogance of CEO's and "could" can be said about any number of companies. Your issue with Uber is obviously more personal than anything else and you sound more like a disgruntled employee/former employee hoping for their demise.

Old 03-15-2017, 10:22 AM

1,653 posts, read 1,585,714 times
I don't disagree with EA. Based on their business plan hinging on them solving a complex technical problem that they may not solve before running out of money, and their valuation being what it is, it gives my flashbacks to Silicon Valley in the late 1990s. I'm not sure why people are being so defensive. Nobody thought they were in a bubble in '99 either.

Old 03-15-2017, 11:16 AM

41,016 posts, read 18,200,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sealie View Post
I don't disagree with EA. Based on their business plan hinging on them solving a complex technical problem that they may not solve before running out of money, and their valuation being what it is, it gives my flashbacks to Silicon Valley in the late 1990s. I'm not sure why people are being so defensive. Nobody thought they were in a bubble in '99 either.
Time will certainly tell but I'm doubting anyone is betting any actual money against them going by the wayside. Many have personal issues with them which often clouds reality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh