Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2016, 03:03 PM

2,269 posts, read 3,798,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lo-Fi View Post
Columbus is terrible as a college city, too. Lacks that nice, dense urban core full of interesting options adjacent to campus.

Columbus as a whole grew up and out too late...and then too quickly when it finally did. The result is maybe the most pathetic and downtrodden downtown for a city its size anywhere in the country, and then 750,000 people worth of urban sprawl, without the accompanying urbanity to make it worthwhile.

Easily my least favorite city that I've ever had the misfortune to call home for a time. And nowhere near being peer to Pittsburgh, Cleveland, or Cinci in any arena but economic. Couldn't get out fast enough.
I prefer it to Indy though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2016, 07:05 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,084,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
I certainly don't think Minneapolis is a peer city. While I personally prefer Pittsburgh, Minneapolis beats Pittsburgh on a TON of metrics. Arlington almost doesn't count, as it's part of a Metroplex.
Are you counting just the city itself or including St. Paul and other parts of the metro area?

Old 09-01-2016, 07:35 AM

100 posts, read 103,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herodotus View Post
Well, sure. I prefer Clinton to Trump, but it's hard to believe any sane person would want anything to do with either of them.

Old 09-01-2016, 08:05 AM

14,352 posts, read 17,012,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herodotus View Post
Indy has nothing like German Village, which is a nice, intact, 19th century neighborhood with a unique vibe (if a bit too gentrified now). Indy's best neighborhoods (and the remainder of the nice older neighborhoods in Columbus) are basically clones of Highland Park or Friendship.

Old 09-01-2016, 11:31 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,975,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Indy has nothing like German Village, which is a nice, intact, 19th century neighborhood with a unique vibe (if a bit too gentrified now). Indy's best neighborhoods (and the remainder of the nice older neighborhoods in Columbus) are basically clones of Highland Park or Friendship.
I'm curious as to what constitutes "too gentrified"?

Indy doesn't really have 19th century neighborhoods, but there are some pretty analogous neighborhoods. Broad Ripple is Shadyside sans chains, Fountain Square is Lawrenceville with different architecture, Irvington is Regent Square with a bigger business district, Mass Ave's Business district is a less alcohol-focused South Side.

I'd say Indy is notably missing a Strip District and Bloomfield. Pittsburgh is missing the more useful downtown with regards to nightlife and retail.

Old 09-01-2016, 12:02 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,955,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post

Indy doesn't really have 19th century neighborhoods, but there are some pretty analogous neighborhoods. Broad Ripple is Shadyside sans chains, Fountain Square is Lawrenceville with different architecture, Irvington is Regent Square with a bigger business district, Mass Ave's Business district is a less alcohol-focused South Side.

I'd say Indy is notably missing a Strip District and Bloomfield. Pittsburgh is missing the more useful downtown with regards to nightlife and retail.
I've never been to Indianapolis, but I think Pittsburgh's downtown night life is better than people give it credit for being. Most of the newer restaurants act as bars. I will say, however, that downtown shopping is pretty sorry. It's the only thing about Pittsburgh that has gotten worse since I've lived here. Larrimors and Nettleton Shoes are literally the only reasons to shop downtown. Brooks Brothers, too, if you're into that sort of thing.

Old 09-01-2016, 12:13 PM

3,291 posts, read 2,768,878 times
Quote:

It looks like a few of these comparisons are off in terms of the size of the districts though. For example, isn't Fountain Square much smaller than Lawrenceville, and lacks the housing density of Lawrenceville for sure, by a long shot.

And isn't the Mass Ave district a lot smaller than South side? also you mentioned that Indy's downtown is more useful for nightlife & retail, but isn't the Mass Ave district in downtown anyway? So the comparisons don't seem equivalent at all to me.

But full disclosure I have had no real experience with Indianapolis - I'm just checking it out on streetview.

Last edited by _Buster; 09-01-2016 at 12:24 PM..

Old 09-01-2016, 12:16 PM

3,291 posts, read 2,768,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
I've never been to Indianapolis, but I think Pittsburgh's downtown night life is better than people give it credit for being. Most of the newer restaurants act as bars. I will say, however, that downtown shopping is pretty sorry. It's the only thing about Pittsburgh that has gotten worse since I've lived here. Larrimors and Nettleton Shoes are literally the only reasons to shop downtown. Brooks Brothers, too, if you're into that sort of thing.

Agree on both points. maybe if the PDP came up with a year-round weekend/evening parking validation for shopping, that would convince some retail shops to give it more consideration.

Old 09-01-2016, 12:22 PM

2,269 posts, read 3,798,780 times
Quote:

The layout and architecture is a major reason why the cores of northeastern, and a few selected cities outside of the region (Cincy, St. Louis, NO, SF, Chi for starters) are better than those of places like Indy.

Old 09-01-2016, 12:26 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,975,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Buster View Post
It looks like a few of these comparisons are off in terms of the size of the districts though. For example, isn't Fountain Square much smaller than Lawrenceville, and lacks the housing density of Lawrenceville for sure, by a long shot.

And isn't the Mass Ave district a lot smaller than South side? And also you mentioned that Indy's downtown is more useful for nightlife & retail, but isn't the Mass Ave district in downtown anyway? So the comparisons don't seem equivalent at all to me.

But full disclosure I have no real Indy experience - I'm just checking it out on streetview.
Fountain Square may be smaller than Lawrenceville, but they are both hipstery slowly turning yuppie places and have very similar businesses, right down to the bowling alley and cider house. There's lots of flips and construction going on too.

Yeah I guess Mass Ave is actually in downtown's boundaries technically. Kind of similar to how the Cultural District is in downtown Pittsburgh. Mass Ave feels more distinct from the rest of downtown Indy though, while the cultural district definitely feels like an integral part of downtown Pittsburgh.

I don't think you're ever going to find neighborhoods that 100% correlate to each other in different cities, but the examples I gave are pretty similar feeling to me. Part of it is definitely just the vibe, which is hard to pick up from streetview.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh