Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2016, 07:47 PM

3,766 posts, read 4,105,848 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins2 View Post
The Allegheny Institute considers these cities "peers".

Cities selected to compare with Pittsburgh include St. Louis (MO), Minneapolis (MN),
Cincinnati (OH), Arlington (TX), Anaheim (CA), Tampa (FL), Wichita (KS), Colorado
Springs (CO), and Raleigh (NC). Because of data and geographic mix considerations,
Miami (FL), Toledo (OH), Honolulu (HI), and Santa Ana (CA) were not included.
Saying that Arlington, TX is a peer city to Pittsburgh, PA is like saying that Monroeville, PA is a peer city to Dallas, TX. The Allegheny Institute should stick to politics because they obviously don't know much about cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2016, 07:55 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,597,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delco21 View Post
Pittsburgh is mostly a city of residents from there. You have a vocal minority in a few select city neighborhoods of transplants. A few of them post on this board. When you read those best lists there are 3 or 4 neighborhoods ever talked about as up and coming. When you read city data it makes Pittsburgh to be only east liberty or lawrenceville. Granted they turned a corner. What about the 80 other neighborhoods in a struggle for survival? A 2 square mile area does not make a city.

Pittsburgh has tons of cheap houses in large swaths of the city. Cleveland is the same way. The reason these large swaths are cheap is desirability. Nobody wants to live there. All those hardcore city dwellers refuse to put money where their mouth is. Why not invest in a Sheridan, carrick or Marshall shade land if you are hardcore about living in the city? Those same people complain about the housing crisis mirage in the east end. Non of them will pony up the money to live in an affordable yet undesirable neighborhood.
I've spent 4 hours in Cleveland in my whole life (I saw Michael Jackon's glove), so I'll leave that aside. And I agree that on the whole Ohio has a better state government than Pennsylvania.

But it is nonsense to say that 80 other neighborhood struggle for survival. In addition to up and coming neighborhoods, there are huge areas that never really declined. Squirrel Hill is, for example, by itself three square miles and like 9% of the city. The few neighborhoods that get talked about often constitute a very large portion of the city, a majority of it, depending on how you are counting. And while people here do complain about the housing crisis, it is very clear that large numbers of people have and are putting up the money to live in affordable neighborhoods.

Old 08-22-2016, 07:56 PM

1,795 posts, read 1,877,896 times
Why does everyone blast Columbus OH I grew up in Cincy and Columbus is def the best city in Ohio in my opinion I always have a great time when I am in Columbus. Columbus is a really socially progressive city for the Midwest.

Old 08-22-2016, 07:58 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,597,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderbiltgrad View Post
Why does everyone blast Columbus OH I grew up in Cincy and Columbus is def the best city in Ohio in my opinion I always have a great time when I am in Columbus. Columbus is a really socially progressive city for the Midwest.
Ever since they closed Deibel's, it's been no fun getting drunk in Columbus.

Old 08-22-2016, 08:21 PM

-first tier cities: New York

-second tier cities: Chicago, Los Angeles, Philadelphia

-third tier cities (all are peer cities of Pittsburgh): Boston, Baltimore, Washington, Charlotte, Atlanta, Miami, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Cincinnati, Detroit, St. Louis, Kansas City, Milwaukee, Minneapolis/St. Paul, New Orleans, Dallas, Houston, Denver, Phoenix, San Francisco, Oakland, San Diego, Seattle

-all of the above are the cities that have been in those positions for several decades, with the exception of Charlotte, which is a newcomer

-possibility of being added to the third tier someday: San Jose, Buffalo, Nashville, Memphis, San Antonio, Tampa, Indianapolis, Columbus

-cities far below, or not worth mentioning: Providence, Rochester, Hartford, New Haven, Salt Lake City, Tulsa, Sacramento, Virginia Beach, Mayberry, Norfolk, Hooterville, Raleigh

Old 08-23-2016, 07:42 AM

994 posts, read 901,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post

-third tier cities (all are peer cities of Pittsburgh): Boston, Baltimore, Washington, Charlotte, Atlanta, Miami, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Cincinnati, Detroit, St. Louis, Kansas City, Milwaukee, Minneapolis/St. Paul, New Orleans, Dallas, Houston, Denver, Phoenix, San Francisco, Oakland, San Diego, Seattle

-all of the above are the cities that have been in those positions for several decades, with the exception of Charlotte, which is a newcomer

-possibility of being added to the third tier someday: San Jose, Buffalo, Nashville, Memphis, San Antonio, Tampa, Indianapolis, Columbus

-cities far below, or not worth mentioning: Providence, Rochester, Hartford, New Haven, Salt Lake City, Tulsa, Sacramento, Virginia Beach, Mayberry, Norfolk, Hooterville, Raleigh
Let's start with the first peer city on your list. Boston. It's not close to being a peer city of Pittsburgh. Have you ever been there?

Old 08-23-2016, 07:56 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,966,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainDewGuy View Post
Let's start with the first peer city on your list. Boston. It's not close to being a peer city of Pittsburgh. Have you ever been there?
He's obviously joking. See Mayberry.

having moved here from Boston, I have to say that Pittsburgh clearly occupies a lower tier than Pittsburgh. That said, I MUCH prefer Pittsburgh. Boston's big problem is that it's priced higher than the actual tier it occupies.

What I'm gathering from this thread, is that Pittsburgh is probably the class of its tier. Baltimore is the only one of Pittsburgh's peer cities that offers more in terms of amenities, but it's significantly more expensive and has much higher crime.

Old 08-23-2016, 07:59 AM

1,577 posts, read 1,283,439 times
Quote:
Should have stopped reading before I got to SF. That is just loony.

Old 08-23-2016, 08:00 AM

1,577 posts, read 1,283,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
He's obviously joking. See Mayberry.

having moved here from Boston, I have to say that Pittsburgh clearly occupies a lower tier than Pittsburgh. That said, I MUCH prefer Pittsburgh. Boston's big problem is that it's priced higher than the actual tier it occupies.

What I'm gathering from this thread, is that Pittsburgh is probably the class of its tier. Baltimore is the only one of Pittsburgh's peer cities that offers more in terms of amenities, but it's significantly more expensive and has much higher crime.
Pittsburgh is the Pittsburgh of Pittsburgh.

Old 08-23-2016, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post

Quote:
Yes, I have not only been there, but I know it pretty well. Why is it not a peer city of Pittsburgh, in your view?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh