Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2016, 06:34 AM

1,577 posts, read 1,282,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
It's more about attitude than affluence. Squirrell Hill affluent is not the same as Fox Chapel affluent. There's a certain personality type that chooses to live in a place like Fox Chapel. It doesn't have the area's best school district or amenities. People seek it out for its exclusivity.
I would like to say I expected more from you, but I'm not surprised at you stooping to stereotypes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2016, 06:41 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,588,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul2421 View Post
I would like to say I expected more from you, but I'm not surprised at you stooping to stereotypes.
I don't see how this is a stereotype. With zoning and minimum lot sizes, Fox Chapel has very deliberately made it basically impossible to live there if you aren't able to spent thousands a month on a house and hundreds on a car for each adult. Squirrel Hill is more mixed and, despite the increasing rents, still affordable on a lower income (especially if you don't need a car).

Fox Chapel's mean income is much higher than Squirrel Hill's, not because Squirrel Hill doesn't have as many rich people as Fox Chapel but because Squirrel Hill doesn't exclude everybody else.

Old 08-30-2016, 07:40 AM

540 posts, read 867,932 times
Just an aside on the gifted program discussion: I know from experience that Pittsburgh Public doesn't use only the IQ test to determine who goes to their gifted program. The psychological evaluation and the teacher recommendations are also considered for those close to, but not quite at, the cut-off IQ score.

Old 08-30-2016, 09:24 AM

1,577 posts, read 1,282,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
I don't see how this is a stereotype. With zoning and minimum lot sizes, Fox Chapel has very deliberately made it basically impossible to live there if you aren't able to spent thousands a month on a house and hundreds on a car for each adult. Squirrel Hill is more mixed and, despite the increasing rents, still affordable on a lower income (especially if you don't need a car).

Fox Chapel's mean income is much higher than Squirrel Hill's, not because Squirrel Hill doesn't have as many rich people as Fox Chapel but because Squirrel Hill doesn't exclude everybody else.
they said nothing about income. they inferred a "personality type"

Old 08-30-2016, 09:27 AM

969 posts, read 771,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-burgher View Post
To the OP: You are concerned about the effect that living in this area will have on your children and you are correct to be worried. I grew up in this kind of area (O'Hara - Fox Chapel School), and the kids were cliquish and often nasty. Kids are greatly influenced by their peers. Thank goodness my parents were able to insert other influences into my life - summer programs in the city, travel, Unitarian church, etc. My father lived in Squirrel Hill - what a difference in his neighborhood! You will find a more open-minded and progressive community in the city of Pittsburgh or any city with universities than you will in an outlying suburb - ANYWHERE in the country. Here in Charlotte as well - where I live now. However overall Charlotte is more open to newcomers than Pittsburgh because it has grown so much recently.

I wish you luck.
This is a very accurate description of my experience as well. I grew up in Shadyside and got a private education and the Fox Chapel people were horrible to deal with, even as a city peer. Out of the 100s of Fox Chapel people I hung out with I only found maybe two of them to have an acceptable world view with regards to treat others.

Old 08-30-2016, 09:27 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,588,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul2421 View Post
they said nothing about income. they inferred a "personality type"
Wanting to be sure you aren't near anybody with a low income is a personality type.

Old 08-30-2016, 09:42 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,955,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
Wanting to be sure you aren't near anybody with a low income is a personality type.
I think where a person chooses to live, and make no mistake everyone in Fox Chapel has a choice, says far more about them than their level of affluence. My Pittsburgh social circle is comprised mostly of people who could afford to live anywhere in the region, get I've never developed any level of affinity for anyone who chose to live in Fox Chapel. It's about more than the money.

Old 08-30-2016, 10:21 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,539,703 times
I feel the same way about people who live in the city.

Old 08-30-2016, 10:28 AM

969 posts, read 771,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
Are you from FC? Thanks for helping our narrative.

Old 08-30-2016, 10:31 AM

12,529 posts, read 17,536,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
Stand back!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh