Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2016, 07:35 PM

560 posts, read 452,428 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!

When I was apartment hunting in Cranberry this August most places mentioned that Gas was through Columbia and Electricity was through Penn Power. One place mentioned that Penn Power has other companies you can choose from with lower rates? Is this true? I've never lived in an apartment before.

For internet I didn't see Comcast or Verizon in Cranberry, but they all said Armstrong or Consolidated. Anyone have experience with these companies? Three apartments I looked at include Internet and Cable, but they said we can add on and they bill the difference. Thought that was a cool money saver to not pay for Internet or cable.

How much would you guys say utilities would be in Cranberry or that general area? Most places didn't include any utilities minus those three with the Internet/cable. In Maryland where I live it's just one company for our gas and electric so it seems to be different from Cranberry. I got very wide ranges from the apartments. I would just have a one bedroom and one bath. Just myself and my dog living there.

Thanks for any advice. This forum has been a great help so far
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2016, 07:45 PM

41,018 posts, read 18,178,184 times
Can't help you on prices for utilities for an apartment but yes you can choose your electric supplier.
PA Power Switch - Pennsylvania Public Utility Commission

I have Directv but I'd look into Armstrong if you're going with cable.

Old 09-01-2016, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Can't help you on prices for utilities for an apartment but yes you can choose your electric supplier.
PA Power Switch - Pennsylvania Public Utility Commission

I have Directv but I understand Armstrong is cable service.
Thanks! What's the difference between the fixed and variable rate? How would you know to choose a good one. I see Penn Power rate is like 47.73 for .06819 per kW, but Ambit Energy on variable is 47.11 for .0673.

I have direcTV where I am now, but none of the apartments said they could get it there.

Old 09-01-2016, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohyellowbug View Post
Thanks! What's the difference between the fixed and variable rate? How would you know to choose a good one. I see Penn Power rate is like 47.73 for .06819 per kW, but Ambit Energy on variable is 47.11 for .0673.

I have direcTV where I am now, but none of the apartments said they could get it there.
Can't help you with the variable rate as I don't know what the fluctuation would be. You can choose a fixed rate that will stay the same for the term you choose and can pick one with no cancellation fee should a better deal come along.

Can't help you there. I've always had Directv.

Old 09-01-2016, 09:03 PM

1,304 posts, read 3,033,582 times
I have had Consolidated Communications and Penn Power for years. Despite having options to choose other electrical service providers available, Penn Power delivers their power to your area (and charges you for this). The long and short of it is that I don't believe that really save much by having another service provider. On the plus side, is that Penn Power is very reliable with rare outages.

Consolidated is considerably less expensive than Armstrong, and I believe, delivers a much better product. I can't compare it to Direct TV because I've never used this service. I would think that it might be more challenging to find an apartment building, or even a landlord, who will allow for the installation of an outdoor dish. Hope this helps...

Old 09-01-2016, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiredcoach View Post
I have had Consolidated Communications and Penn Power for years. Despite having options to choose other electrical service providers available, Penn Power delivers their power to your area (and charges you for this). The long and short of it is that I don't believe that really save much by having another service provider. On the plus side, is that Penn Power is very reliable with rare outages.

Consolidated is considerably less expensive than Armstrong, and I believe, delivers a much better product. I can't compare it to Direct TV because I've never used this service. I would think that it might be more challenging to find an apartment building, or even a landlord, who will allow for the installation of an outdoor dish. Hope this helps...
Thanks! I am thinking Penn Power is like our electric company. They are the big main one and my dad just told me there others but they aren't cheaper. Plus he said always go with the bigger name, it's likely they are more realible.

I don't think I will be watching much tv, but I would want my internet to be able to keep up with Netflixs or Hulu. Right now we have Comcast which is 150 Mbps, but I know I couldn't afford a speed like that on my own. Is Zoom the Internet for Armstrong? I know one of the three places they said there deal is with Armstrong and that's who they pay to have the Internet and cable done by.

Old 09-01-2016, 10:52 PM

3,595 posts, read 3,386,470 times
Electric bills skyrocket under variable rates, prompt PA attorney general investigations. - tribunedigital-mcall if it was me I would stick with the fixed rates. The other companies seem very shady to me, one sent a letter to look like Penn powers saying our service would be terminated if we didn't pick a new supplier, we have people coming to the door all the time offering us gift cards and prizes if we switch. I tell them all I am waiting for my solar panels to be delivered. Unless you are running a grow house I don't thing an apartment dweller should have to worry about price shopping, like previously mentioned you won't use alot plus you will still get a supply bill from Penn power for line maintenance and delivering the power.

Old 09-02-2016, 06:42 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,584,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy2073 View Post
Unless you are running a grow house I don't thing an apartment dweller should have to worry about price shopping, like previously mentioned you won't use alot plus you will still get a supply bill from Penn power for line maintenance and delivering the power.
If you are running a grow house, you should pick the most expensive electric provider. They're making more money off you and thus are less likely to tell the DEA about a guy with one bedroom and $600/month electric use. I've heard.

Anyway, I never messed around with any of the alternative providers either. They do indeed seem shady.

Old 09-02-2016, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
If you are running a grow house, you should pick the most expensive electric provider. They're making more money off you and thus are less likely to tell the DEA about a guy with one bedroom and $600/month electric use. I've heard.

Anyway, I never messed around with any of the alternative providers either. They do indeed seem shady.
Nothing shady about the companies with a fixed rate. I've always taken the cheapest fix rate. Can't speak for the variable rates as I've never gone that route.

Old 09-02-2016, 08:43 AM

2,195 posts, read 2,586,681 times
Variable rates seem like a great idea until we have a winter like 2013/14. I made the mistake of going with a variable rate company. My electric bill went from about $30 a month in August to $90 a month in December to over $400 for the months of Jan and Feb. Some people ended up with bills over $1000 for One month.

Stick with a fixed rate company, preferably one with no contract. Yes it might cost a little more at first but you have the option to change companies if they suddenly jack up their rates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh