Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 04:26 PM

160 posts, read 164,525 times

Advertisements

Is Heroin a major problem in Southside and the rest of Pittsburgh? I notice this when I was last in town.

Old 02-21-2008, 04:51 PM

2,245 posts, read 7,191,123 times
Heroin is not a major problem in the Southside. That area has little to do with drugs and much to do with bars.

Old 02-21-2008, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainulinale View Post
Heroin is not a major problem in the Southside. That area has little to do with drugs and much to do with bars.

I sure as hell got a VERY different impression.

Sadley, I have noticed a lot of people I have been meeting in Pittsburgh are users of illegal drugs such as Heroin. I am talking very educated wealthy people and they are acting like it is the IT thing to be involved in .

Heroin, Xananx and the Klonopin Kocktail have been the main event with most of the Elite I am meeting.

I was introduced to this very nice guy who comes from old money and asked me right off the bat do you want a Kolopin Cocktail I was like what........... Crystal with a Klonopin tablet and you just swing it back for a rush.

I have better things to do then be involved with people who find Heroin fashionable.

Old 02-21-2008, 07:46 PM

2,245 posts, read 7,191,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSTYLE View Post
I sure as hell got a VERY different impression.

Sadley, I have noticed a lot of people I have been meeting in Pittsburgh are users of illegal drugs such as Heroin. I am talking very educated wealthy people and they are acting like it is the IT thing to be involved in .

Heroin, Xananx and the Klonopin Kocktail have been the main event with most of the Elite I am meeting.

I was introduced to this very nice guy who comes from old money and asked me right off the bat do you want a Kolopin Cocktail I was like what........... Crystal with a Klonopin tablet and you just swing it back for a rush.

I have better things to do then be involved with people who find Heroin fashionable.
Well I don't hang out with "elite" socialites or modeling cliques, but I can assure you that South Side Flats is an extremely safe neighborhood. It is one of the great success stories of Pittsburgh gentrification, going from a blue collar industrial neighborhood to an area full of restaurants, bars and restored victorian row houses. The prefered substance of choice among most South Siders is alcohol not junk. Now Uptown/Bluff is an entirely different story (except for the row houses!)

Old 02-21-2008, 08:10 PM

Seems some of the people who own some of those trendy shops and lofts.........are also Heroin users and find it Tre Chic.

Old 02-21-2008, 08:18 PM

I am just upset because I just came back from a cocktail party and am upset about finding this out. I also found out my former boyfriend is a user and it makes sense now why his personality was kinda odd and makes sense why we broke up. He told me tonight that he fell out of love with me because of H that is is only love.

I am going to stop this I gather is not appropriate place to vent my personal experiences or my emotional feelings........ I am just in shock and numb that a well helled bunch of wealthy professionals find Speed balling Klonopin Kocktails and xanax a great way to spend a evening.

Disturbing is some of them are professional lawyers and doctors and financial analysts and they tell me that almost everyone does it for recreational use in Pittsburgh.

I got a text message from a woman who owns a boutiqe in Southside works saying that maybe I should hook up with some of the nuns in a convent. Because this is what socializing is about in Dah Burh.

Old 02-21-2008, 08:20 PM

2,902 posts, read 10,069,039 times
I'm not sure about Heroin. I surround myself with a lot of different people and see a lot of difference places (underground cultures, etc) and I've never seen heroin and my group of friends would never even fathom it.

But truthfully, I have no idea. I'm a young pharmacists and I see young, wealthy, and professional people on a daily basis and never see heroin being used. Maybe they are all talk? You know, it's fairly impossible to just be a "casual" heroin user. In fact, it IS impossible. These professional lawyers and doctors who claim to be doing heroin wouldn't be doctors or lawyers for long. Trust me.

People abuse Klonopin? It's very hard to abuse Klonopin, it's half-life is too long. Now XANAX!!! That's a different story. I'd take xanax if someone offered it to me. Then again, benzodiapines are actually one of the safest drugs ever created as long as you don't mix them with other depressive agents such as booze or narcotics.

Did you know that it is ALMOST (not ENTIRELY) impossible to overdose on JUST benzodiazepines alone? If you're a healthy adult with no respiratory impairments and are not mixing it with anything else, like I said, it is almost IMPOSSIBLE to overdose on them to the point of death.

Just a neat fact for ya. despite their potential for addiction, they are literally one of the safest class of drugs ever made.

Last edited by guylocke; 02-21-2008 at 08:28 PM..

Old 02-21-2008, 09:04 PM

2,039 posts, read 6,322,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSTYLE View Post
I am just upset because I just came back from a cocktail party and am upset about finding this out. I also found out my former boyfriend is a user and it makes sense now why his personality was kinda odd and makes sense why we broke up. He told me tonight that he fell out of love with me because of H that is is only love.

I am going to stop this I gather is not appropriate place to vent my personal experiences or my emotional feelings........ I am just in shock and numb that a well helled bunch of wealthy professionals find Speed balling Klonopin Kocktails and xanax a great way to spend a evening.

Disturbing is some of them are professional lawyers and doctors and financial analysts and they tell me that almost everyone does it for recreational use in Pittsburgh.

I got a text message from a woman who owns a boutiqe in Southside works saying that maybe I should hook up with some of the nuns in a convent. Because this is what socializing is about in Dah Burh.
I have to say that I am shocked. I don't even like Pittsburgh very much, but I certainly wouldn't portray the wealthy here as herion abusers. I'm not saying it doesn't exist, but as the for the chic thing to do? I highly doubt that.

As crazy as this sounds, Pittsburgh actually has some of the most intelligent people I have ever met. Even the high school drop-outs are smart! I'm not being a 'smart' arse, I'm just paying respect where respect is due.

Last edited by londonbarcelona; 02-21-2008 at 09:18 PM..

Old 02-21-2008, 10:49 PM

3,306 posts, read 4,154,654 times
When I lived in Pittsburgh I didn't notice much drug use in the university communities, but never was around the "young professionals" rather young researchers etc. But I did notice a lot of drug issues in general. There was more than one person dealing drugs in my first apartment. I have seen more drug deals on the side streets than I can count.

Old 02-22-2008, 04:53 AM

2,336 posts, read 7,778,287 times
I got the impression that Southside had a heroin problem back in the mid-nineties. I knew about a lot of punk rock kids (well young adults really) who lived in the area and yes, heroin was one of their drugs of choice. Today, I don't know if the story is the same. The crowd on the Southside has changed a bit. However, just because of the nature of the area (lots of trendy and university young people), I imagine that drugs will always be around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh