Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2016, 06:15 PM

440 posts, read 549,681 times

Advertisements

Looking for a more career business oriented help on this one::

Are there any real legit type of marketing firms here in the city.... Not talking about the "fly by night" promotion companies or graphic artists companies cold calling firms... Talking legit companies doing legit work to be proud about??...

Shame that there are so many negative style marketing companies that sprung up, really gives the industry and companies a bad name..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2016, 08:26 PM

2,109 posts, read 2,159,791 times
Beyond Spots and Dots? I'm not so much into marketing but I have heard good things about them.

Old 09-12-2016, 08:46 PM

697 posts, read 778,267 times
What kind of job are you looking for? Have you tried the local American Marketing Association chapter/events?
Agree on spots and dots.

Old 09-13-2016, 06:03 AM

110 posts, read 95,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augie6 View Post
Looking for a more career business oriented help on this one::

Are there any real legit type of marketing firms here in the city.... Not talking about the "fly by night" promotion companies or graphic artists companies cold calling firms... Talking legit companies doing legit work to be proud about??...

Shame that there are so many negative style marketing companies that sprung up, really gives the industry and companies a bad name..
Merkle and Beyond Spots and Dots are okay, but if you want a career out of it, you'd be much better off cutting teeth at a real agency in NYC or LA for a few years.

Old 09-15-2016, 11:52 AM

5,652 posts, read 6,987,846 times
My experience as the guy who handles marketing for a $6 mill company here in Pgh, there isn't anyone who wants to take us seriously or devote time/energy to listen. I end up doing a lot myself and with freelancers I trust.

It's not unusual to have an hour meeting where nobody listens to a thing I'm saying, they simply want to talk about how smart they are and throw out their "proven templates for marketing/social media success". And then I won't ever get a proposal because I'm asking them to actually apply themselves with some new thinking.

Seems every "real" marketing agency only wants to work with national brands and not extend themselves too much in doing so. All about billable hours with as little actual creative as can be accomplished. If that's what you want for your career, there are plenty of places to work in and around Pittsburgh.

I came out of that background. I've sat in enough meetings as the client over the past decade to find it embarrassing for the agency(ies).

Old 09-15-2016, 04:45 PM

912 posts, read 1,732,958 times
MARC USA
Brunner
Gatesman + Dave
Merkle

Those are the biggest and the best agencies here. It's a pretty small industry in PGH. We lack branches of agencies from any of the big four holding companies.

I wouldn't recommend Beyond Spots and Dots. I've heard nothing but bad things from anyone who used to work there, and I've been unimpressed with anything I've seen from them.

Old 09-15-2016, 08:06 PM

1,776 posts, read 2,698,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYO View Post
MARC USA
Brunner
Gatesman + Dave
Merkle

Those are the biggest and the best agencies here. It's a pretty small industry in PGH. We lack branches of agencies from any of the big four holding companies.

I wouldn't recommend Beyond Spots and Dots. I've heard nothing but bad things from anyone who used to work there, and I've been unimpressed with anything I've seen from them.
This.

Add Chemistry, Engauge, Deep Local, Marc USA.

Old 09-16-2016, 07:20 PM

539 posts, read 523,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYO View Post
MARC USA
Brunner
Gatesman + Dave
Merkle

This. It's crazy that pittsburgh doesn't have an office for any of the major companies. While there is a lot of bs that goes with working for huge corporations, the resources and career opportunities at say a WPP are a lot better, at least at the beginning of your career than an independent place IMO. Still, all these places have good operations from what I've heard and you should check them all out!

Old 09-19-2016, 08:46 PM

440 posts, read 549,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaisyDaisy View Post
What kind of job are you looking for? Have you tried the local American Marketing Association chapter/events?
Agree on spots and dots.
Daisy -- So when I first graduated from college I use to be into the AMA stuff however, got away from the scene after moving away from 'traditional" marketing and into sales roles. (was my mistake)

You attend ? Do you also think the "city clubs'" are worth checking out ?

I really enjoy a lot of the Data Metric driven marketing ( especially social with Facebook )..

Unfortunately it seems most of the positions are "cold calling" promotional type gigs. I never get the feeling of a solid position or company... Will start to research the current ( and hopeful future) market soon.

Just a shot in the dark... What would everyone expect a medium range salary to be ?? ( I know vague but humor is as best as possilbe.. ;<---- Everyone can chime in ....

Old 09-26-2016, 06:05 AM

110 posts, read 95,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augie6 View Post
Daisy -- So when I first graduated from college I use to be into the AMA stuff however, got away from the scene after moving away from 'traditional" marketing and into sales roles. (was my mistake)

You attend ? Do you also think the "city clubs'" are worth checking out ?

I really enjoy a lot of the Data Metric driven marketing ( especially social with Facebook )..

Unfortunately it seems most of the positions are "cold calling" promotional type gigs. I never get the feeling of a solid position or company... Will start to research the current ( and hopeful future) market soon.

Just a shot in the dark... What would everyone expect a medium range salary to be ?? ( I know vague but humor is as best as possilbe.. ;<---- Everyone can chime in ....
Entry-level position without direct previous experience? Tough to say but I'd hazard a guess at 30K-35K.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh