Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2016, 05:52 AM

387 posts, read 471,214 times

Advertisements

deer, ground hogs, squirrels, hawks/falcons, chipmonks, black rat snakes, garter snakes, rabbits, ducks/geese, turtles, raccoons, bats, turkeys-turkeys fight & can be very mean to each other I recently found out while trying to break up a turkey fight that was blocking traffic last year!

Had a possum living in my yard til my pooch evicted it when she was a pup.

On a very few rare occasions, a solo red fox on the back trails between Grandview park & Bigbee.
Have seen a red fox family-mom/dad/baby fox on/off the trails between Duquesne & Homestead along the river by the tracks.

There are coyotes in Elizabeth Twsp from the Boston side to Buena Vista along the bike trails-so be careful on those trails-they span over to the Lincoln side. I've known this for years, but recently a coyote attempted to attack a child & the father got in between & got bit, the coyote was caught & tested positive for rabies-that hit the news about a month ago. That's still Allegheny county, so there's rabies around that area, just putting that out as an FYI.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2016, 06:46 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,030,476 times
In addition to what I noted above, I've of course seen plenty of Canada Geese (I was even attacked by one once). Lots of ducks, turtles, and a fair amount of frogs as well in ponds in the parks and cemeteries, but I dunno how "wild" a lot of these are - some might have been introduced.

Has anyone ever a freshwater jellyfish in the rivers around here? I know they live in the Allegheny now, but I dunno if they are found around Pittsburgh proper.

Old 09-15-2016, 07:13 AM

2,195 posts, read 2,589,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post

Has anyone ever a freshwater jellyfish in the rivers around here? I know they live in the Allegheny now, but I dunno if they are found around Pittsburgh proper.

I learned something new today. Thank you. I had no idea that such a creature existed.

Old 09-15-2016, 07:34 AM

4,177 posts, read 2,958,658 times
Did anyone mention Blue Cranes? Years ago I dropped my daughter off at my mothers house in Stanton Heights. While driving a shadow appeared above me. Initially I thought it was a Pterodactyl. Really!!. The crane landed on a tall chimney. I figured it escaped from the Aviary or zoo but later found out that they are back wpa and nest on the Allegheny near the Highland Park Bridge.

Old 09-15-2016, 07:41 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,030,476 times
While not exotic, the last few years I've been seeing some seagulls hanging out on the rivers, especially by the bridges. Looking over the news stories, it seems they migrated here back in 2014-2015 when winter cold snaps froze over the Great Lakes. Some seem to have stuck around.

Old 09-15-2016, 07:46 AM

2,195 posts, read 2,589,697 times
Spotted an osprey on the Homestead Greys Bridge a couple of years ago. Good thing I wasn't driving or there might have been a wreck when took a double take. Last time I saw one of those I was on a fishing boat on Block Island Sound, CT.

Old 09-15-2016, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
While not exotic, the last few years I've been seeing some seagulls hanging out on the rivers, especially by the bridges. Looking over the news stories, it seems they migrated here back in 2014-2015 when winter cold snaps froze over the Great Lakes. Some seem to have stuck around.
Seagulls have been in Pittsburgh since the late 90s. They are common around the Highland Park Bridge area. The seagulls took over downtown and the Northshore in 2014-2015.

Old 09-15-2016, 08:49 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,154,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins2 View Post
Seagulls have been in Pittsburgh since the late 90s. They are common around the Highland Park Bridge area. The seagulls took over downtown and the Northshore in 2014-2015.
I've noticed a lot of seagulls tend to hang out around the Highland Bridge as well for many years now.

Old 09-15-2016, 09:02 AM

29,746 posts, read 34,389,499 times
I was pretty excited earlier this year when I saw a mama turkey and baby turklings in a park in my neighborhood. I'd seen turkeys around before, but never fuzzy little baby ones.

Old 09-15-2016, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I was pretty excited earlier this year when I saw a mama turkey and baby turklings in a park in my neighborhood. I'd seen turkeys around before, but never fuzzy little baby ones.
mama will kick your ass about her babies. We used to chase them as children. Once the mother gets fed up she opens a can of whoopass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh