Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2016, 05:18 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,198,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Whoa! Erieguy and I agree on something else? Stop the presses!
Some things are just obvious to understand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2016, 08:21 AM

7,420 posts, read 2,708,277 times
[quote=UKyank;45953419]I don't think anyone would care about the old civic arena [/quote

The following comment/post in no way is a statement or opinion on the rationale behind the tear down and redevelopment of the Civic Arena and site, ( as I am mostly uninformed as to the politics and have not researched the topic at any length). Rather, these thoughts are just nostalgic regarding the above poster's words of "care about"

I recall the excitement and pride surrounding the construction of the Civic Arena in, I believe, 1960- 1961. It was fun to watch it take shape and even more exciting to attend an event there. I remember staying up as a young teenager to hear my mother tell of seeing Robert Goulet, under the stars, in Camelot, in one of the earlier shows there, brought by the CLO. I am under the impression that the arena was actually developed to house the CLO, ( Civic Light Opera) and additionally provide a place for the hockey team the Hornets. As an older teenager it was always thrilling to "go on a date" to the arena. ( concerts, circus, ice capades/follies and large rallies for various organizations. etc).

The arena was featured on many magazine covers, in news stories and on post cards. It was a new symbol ( at the time) of Pittsburgh. It was something to talk about, and others, around the country, would mention it when the topic of Pittsburgh arose.

So, those are my thoughts regarding the once modern marvel with the "space age" type retractable dome. Of course made with Pittsburgh Steel! Many probably have similar memories and prideful feelings that could be placed in a category of "care about"

Old 02-19-2017, 11:28 AM

1,705 posts, read 1,388,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
Station Square would be the best option. That is where all the visitors want to go for the view and bars. It is as though the South Side has fallen off the radar for the last few years.
Station Square might be on its way back.

Trolleys and duck boat tourism biz acts as harbinger of city's health | Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Tourists are filling up the tour buses, which is a good thing, they've even had had to add more. I've found Pittsburgh to be a good mini-vacation spot. There's stuff to do, and the vibe of the city itself is fun.

Old 02-19-2017, 12:15 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,600,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krogerDisco View Post

Trolleys and duck boat tourism biz acts as harbinger of city's health | Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Tourists are filling up the tour buses, which is a good thing, they've even had had to add more. I've found Pittsburgh to be a good mini-vacation spot. There's stuff to do, and the vibe of the city itself is fun.
I just walked from my Polish Hill tenement to the tip of Point State Park and back via the North Shore River Trail and over Herr's Island. The city is packed today. It was hard to pass slow-moving people on the trail or sidewalks anywhere because there were also throngs of families on bicycles traveling in both directions. I saw MANY people taking pictures everywhere, which indicates we are indeed now a tourism destination. I'm boggled as to how our hotels locally are hurting, actually, because, in my opinion, the city has only become MORE trendy since I moved here in 2010 (pats self on back).

I'm a city resident, but I also want to do both a Just Ducky tour and a Segway tour sometime when local employers realize I'm too smart to be making $30,000/year and can actually afford to do stuff like that, but I digress.

I will say, though, I was reminded today how WHITE of a city we were. I think I only saw TWO black families out and about (one in the Strip looking at produce and a mother and son sitting on steps at Point State Park looking across the river). Where are all the black people today?

Old 02-21-2017, 07:16 AM

2,094 posts, read 1,925,481 times
Quote:

Station Square could be so much more. That whole area screams for development. When I've gone there its kind of depressing. A few things at the top of Mt. Washington would be nice too. It's not worth the trip. The Strip is so much more enjoyable.

Old 02-21-2017, 04:11 PM

1,705 posts, read 1,388,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbsteel View Post
Station Square could be so much more. That whole area screams for development. When I've gone there its kind of depressing. A few things at the top of Mt. Washington would be nice too. It's not worth the trip. The Strip is so much more enjoyable.
Some things were at Station Square but failed, businesswise. But I'd stick with it because it is a good tourist spot. Extending The T's free ride zone to Station Square would help. I agree about Mt Washington, sadly not a whole lot to do up there, but the trip is worth it because of the view is pretty amazing.

Old 02-21-2017, 06:57 PM

2,269 posts, read 3,800,366 times
Quote:
Grandview Ave. could be a spectacular entertainment center, but too many people own million dollar homes up there, and barely tolerate the stuff that's already there.

Old 02-22-2017, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herodotus View Post
Grandview Ave. could be a spectacular entertainment center, but too many people own million dollar homes up there, and barely tolerate the stuff that's already there.
Agreed- the view is great up there. And when I've been up there there is a place or two to have a beer. It could be so much more, but I understand about the housing. Probably too late.

Old 02-22-2017, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Some things were at Station Square but failed, businesswise. But I'd stick with it because it is a good tourist spot. Extending The T's free ride zone to Station Square would help. I agree about Mt Washington, sadly not a whole lot to do up there, but the trip is worth it because of the view is pretty amazing.
Agreed about the view.

I think they should keep trying with Station Square. It could be great. The T would definitely help. There are 80 Pirates games a year that can be packed pre and post game if they keep the boats running.

Old 02-22-2017, 08:54 AM

29,742 posts, read 34,376,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herodotus View Post
Quote:
Agreed- the view is great up there. And when I've been up there there is a place or two to have a beer. It could be so much more, but I understand about the housing. Probably too late.
Wait, what? Are you guys saying that the neighborhood aspect of Mt. Washington, specifically Grandview ave., should be demolished to put up a shopping center? or am I misunderstanding?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh