Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2016, 06:46 AM

697 posts, read 777,862 times

Advertisements

I like Bloomfield. A friend sold a house there over the summer. It was on the market for a week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2016, 07:43 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,148,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Bloomfield is indeed on the low side for tree canopy in Pittsburgh.

Of course, this map tracks all trees, not trees visible from the street. You can look at street tree coverage here, though you have to futz with th efilters to turn them on. Some Bloomfield steets, like the lower part of Cedarville, Indeed have no trees at all.
Wow, you certainly do notice much less green in Bloomfield compared to places like Lawrenceville, South Side, etc.

Old 01-31-2018, 08:11 AM

14,352 posts, read 17,012,289 times
Bumping this to note that big changes are maybe coming to Bloomfield. Developers want to replace the ShurSave with a new mixed-use building:

Recent news report...

Some NIMBYs are already NIMBYing.

Old 01-31-2018, 08:15 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,691,854 times
Ugly, looks like any other building in any other city. More demolition under Demo Man Peduto. So no basic grocery store in Bloomfield? This is a black eye for the neighborhood. But hey, Peduto loves the developer money to fund his re-elections so this isn't surprising at all.

Old 01-31-2018, 08:17 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,588,550 times
I was wondering how long that store could stay in business with all the new competition from two different Aldis.

Old 01-31-2018, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalewskimm View Post
Ugly, looks like any other building in any other city. More demolition under Demo Man Peduto. So no grocery store in Bloomfield? This is a black eye for the neighborhood. But hey, Peduto loves the developer money to fund his re-elections so this isn't surprising at all.
The developers actually want a grocery store there, although they haven't lined up a tenant yet. And the new building will allow for space for a larger grocery store than the old one.

That said, a depressingly possible outcome is NIMBYs force the developer to scale back (reducing the height to three stories, reducing the FAR, etc), and in order to recoup the reduction in profitability, the grocery store (which won't make them much, if any money) is scrapped in exchange for either first-floor apartments or more structured parking.

Edit: Also, Bloomfield has an Aldi now on Penn Avenue, plus two remaining Italian markets and a greengrocer. It's far from a food desert, having a better selection of food retail than nearly anywhere else in the city.

Old 01-31-2018, 08:36 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,887,444 times
Quote:
Edit: Also, Bloomfield has an Aldi now on Penn Avenue, plus two remaining Italian markets and a greengrocer. It's far from a food desert, having a better selection of food retail than nearly anywhere else in the city.
Where can you buy a pint of Haagen-Dazs, though, in that neighborhood, without spending $5-6 at RiteAid?

Old 01-31-2018, 08:44 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zalewskimm View Post
Ugly, looks like any other building in any other city. More demolition under Demo Man Peduto. So no basic grocery store in Bloomfield? This is a black eye for the neighborhood. But hey, Peduto loves the developer money to fund his re-elections so this isn't surprising at all.
Geez, I think that Sure Save is a dump. Pretty much anything would be an improvement.

Old 01-31-2018, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Geez, I think that Sure Save is a dump. Pretty much anything would be an improvement.
When I first moved to Pittsburgh, I lived in Bloomfield, on a back alley behind Liberty. I shopped in the predecessor of the Shur Save (Foodland) once and only once, because it was so nasty that the proximity wasn't really a plus. I hear it's gotten slightly better since, but still, a different grocery store would be much appreciated.

Old 01-31-2018, 09:10 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,887,444 times
Quote:
When I first moved to Pittsburgh, I lived in Bloomfield, on a back alley behind Liberty. I shopped in the predecessor of the Shur Save (Foodland) once and only once, because it was so nasty that the proximity wasn't really a plus. I hear it's gotten slightly better since, but still, a different grocery store would be much appreciated.
The year I lived in Lawrenceville, it was my closest supermarket (I forget in which incarnation). It was the year I shopped almost exclusively in the Strip District.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh