Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 07:18 AM

114 posts, read 350,252 times

Advertisements

What are the best and worst fields for jobs in Pittsburgh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2008, 08:18 AM

803 posts, read 2,969,222 times
Well, as one who is about to move there and who has looked into the market, it SEEMS to be, that healthcare and tech are growth industries.... steel & glass, maybe not so much....

Old 02-25-2008, 08:37 AM

2,902 posts, read 10,066,347 times
Healthcare, high technology, and engineering (nuclear, bio) for sure. Pittsburgh is strong in financing, academia, law, robotics, and artifical intelligence. Pittsburgh's economy has transformed from a major industrial city to one of services. In fact, Pittsburgh has a low percentage of blue-collar workers, now.

Steel is actually doing very well again because of China. The steel and glass and industrial markets of Pittsburgh have picked up immensely.

Old 02-25-2008, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guylocke View Post
Healthcare, high technology, and engineering (nuclear, bio) for sure. Pittsburgh is strong in financing, academia, law, robotics, and artifical intelligence. Pittsburgh's economy has transformed from a major industrial city to one of services. In fact, Pittsburgh has a low percentage of blue-collar workers, now.

Steel is actually doing very well again because of China. The steel and glass and industrial markets of Pittsburgh have picked up immensely.

I stand, corrected. . . . and happily so....... sounds like good Ju-Ju for the future!!!!

Old 02-25-2008, 11:04 AM

Quote:
I stand, corrected. . . . and happily so....... sounds like good Ju-Ju for the future!!!!
I think you're right! But it has to stay diversified!! For example, Pittsburgh always had an incredibly strong industrial economy until the steel market collapsed which the city is STILL recovering from.

Thankfully, Pittsburgh's economic portfolia has diversified to the point that I don't think such an occurance could happen again. Even if industry has ups and downs or services has ups and downs, Pittsburgh is dabbling in a little bit of everything now.

Old 02-25-2008, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guylocke View Post
I think you're right! But it has to stay diversified!! For example, Pittsburgh always had an incredibly strong industrial economy until the steel market collapsed which the city is STILL recovering from.

Thankfully, Pittsburgh's economic portfolia has diversified to the point that I don't think such an occurance could happen again. Even if industry has ups and downs or services has ups and downs, Pittsburgh is dabbling in a little bit of everything now.
Agreed, that diversity is the key to a successful future economy, but also, the workforce needs to be adequately trained, retrained and made aware of the "new" opportunities, so that they won't keep fleeing to other cities, draining Pgh of it's future, before it even has a chance to enjoy it!.....

Old 02-27-2008, 09:08 AM

114 posts, read 350,252 times
When you say "tech" does that include things like software engineering or just IT? I ask because I am wanting to move to Pittsburgh and my husband has a degree in Comp Sci...I want to make sure he'll have decent job possibilities.

Old 02-27-2008, 09:35 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,685,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut33 View Post
When you say "tech" does that include things like software engineering or just IT? I ask because I am wanting to move to Pittsburgh and my husband has a degree in Comp Sci...I want to make sure he'll have decent job possibilities.
Have the job lined up before you move, or at least have some strong leads.

Old 02-27-2008, 10:04 AM

Quote:
I believe there ARE jobs in software engineering in Pittsburgh, however, when we say technology, we mean high technology. That would be artificial intelligence, advanced robotics, biological and medical technology, genetic technology, nuclear technology ect.

Old 02-27-2008, 12:21 PM

40 posts, read 181,746 times
There are always a variety of IT jobs in the Pittsburgh area. Everything from networking, to programming to help desk. As suggested, have some strong leads lined up before moving but you should be able to find something here.
Also, make sure to check all of the university websites...Pitt, CMU, Carlow, Chatham, Point Park, Robert Morris, LaRoche, CCAC, etc. I have found that they often don't post positions in the paper or on job search sites but will list them on their own sites. (My wife is a prof a Carlow and they basically dumped the entire IT staff and are now starting the process of replacing them.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh