Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2016, 10:12 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,488,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I quite like Beaver County! Maybe you could retire there?
One daughter lives here, one in Minneapolis. I don't think so, although otherwise it'd be fine with me. It's grown on DH since he first met me. He doesn't like all the trees though, feels claustrophobic. The older DD is the same way. It's a hazard of living on the open prairie.

Old 10-28-2016, 04:56 AM

684 posts, read 417,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
It depends on what you're specialized in setting up networks can't be completely outsourced...coding can be. Then you have govt contract vs. private contract.
I'm a SW Dev. I've found that there was a big offshore/outsourcing shift about 10+years ago but the pendulum has swung back. In my experience, most firms realized that the quality work is here in the US, and that there's a big advantage in having someone on site.

Old 10-28-2016, 07:35 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,126,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
Why is that ironic? It makes perfect sense that when people start picking a place to live, "not next to a giant coke oven" would be a very common criteria.
I just said it seems ironic about Braddock how little there is in the rest of it, nothing about Clariton......

Old 10-28-2016, 07:52 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,561,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
I just said it seems ironic about Braddock how little there is in the rest of it, nothing about Clariton......
I thought Braddock had a coke oven. Wikipedia says I'm wrong and it's a mill.

But I think my main point stands. Having a working factory in a town, especially one as small as Braddock, isn't an asset as far as getting people to live there. There are jobs in the factory, but if you have one of those jobs, you're going to make enough money to live somewhere not so close to the factory. Not wanting to live next to a working factory is a very understandable preference.

Old 10-28-2016, 08:03 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,524,283 times
Quote:

But I think my main point stands. Having a working factory in a town, especially one as small as Braddock, isn't an asset as far as getting people to live there. There are jobs in the factory, but if you have one of those jobs, you're going to make enough money to live somewhere not so close to the factory. Not wanting to live next to a working factory is a very understandable preference.
That's why everyone who could moved out of the city between 1890 and 1970. New waves of immigrants moved in to take their place for awhile.

Old 10-28-2016, 08:15 AM

14,362 posts, read 16,949,095 times
Quote:
The point is the dominant narrative of why Braddock died - because the mills closed - is absolutely false. Sure, mill employment fell dramatically due to automation over time, but Braddock's population began declining in the 1920s, and headed into steep decline by the 1950s - many decades before the bottom fell out on steel employment.

Braddock's decline also can't really be attributed to white flight - at least not in the classically used sense, where white people were fleeing neighborhoods because black people were moving in. If you look at the population history of the borough, the black population today is identical in terms of raw numbers to 1940. Braddock wasn't like Wilkinsburg where there was a big influx of black residents. Basically, most of the white people moved out when they got the money to do so, while the black residents stayed behind.

Regardless, you're dead on about the reasons for the decline. If you could live somewhere else, why wouldn't you? But that's not the reason which has been mythologized.

Old 10-28-2016, 01:49 PM

7,420 posts, read 2,698,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
I have noticed that home sales seem to be slowing also. Maybe its just me, and I know the spring is the best time for house sales, but I have seen signs up now for a few months and nothing biting.

I agree, okaydorothy. I also have seen longer days on market, (some years), heftier and multiple reductions in asking prices, and sale prices lower than the seller/ owner previously paid and large losses upon closing. It seems as if the bubble that didn't happen may be bursting. Most of this is in suburban areas, but not limited to them, per my observations, and additionally in very popular and close-in communities.

Old 10-30-2016, 12:24 PM

255 posts, read 283,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
The area should be allowed to return to nature.
The towns can't even afford to knock down all the abandoned houses.

Old 10-30-2016, 12:29 PM

255 posts, read 283,809 times
Quote:

This is another generalization. First off part of that mill is in North Braddock and I know people that live in North Braddock that work there and many from Braddock and North Braddock that retired from there..

Old 10-30-2016, 12:57 PM

14,362 posts, read 16,949,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechCom View Post
This is another generalization. First off part of that mill is in North Braddock and I know people that live in North Braddock that work there and many from Braddock and North Braddock that retired from there..
Which part of North Braddock? The portion which is right next to Braddock, or the one on the far side of the Grand View Golf Club which is more suburban? I'm guessing the latter.

No one doubts that back in the day many people who worked in the mills lived in these neighborhoods. They were called mill towns for a reason. But once unions brought good wages, and the average person could afford a car, there was no reason someone had to live within walking distance of the mill any longer, which made the whole concept of a "mill town" irrelevant even before the mills began reducing their employment levels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh