Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2016, 01:09 PM

1 posts, read 1,421 times

Advertisements

Hi friends,

i will be relocating to pittsburgh. Could you please let me know some of the decent apartments with some indian community. I will be working in the downtown area.

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2016, 01:17 PM

595 posts, read 600,295 times
Green Tree, Scott Township, Banksville (Pittsburgh neighborhood), Carnegie. There's also a community in Monroeville and a community in Moon Township, but both are a more challenging commute to downtown.

Carriage Park apartments is widely known for being a predominantly large Indian Community and is also close to an Indian grocery store called Manpasand. But ultimately, anywhere close to the intersection of Greentree Rd and Cochran Rd in Scott Township is pretty deep in the Indian Community of Pittsburgh.

Old 11-23-2016, 01:17 PM

22,584 posts, read 47,649,975 times
Here are some threads from earlier this year...
//www.city-data.com/forum/pitts...nsylvania.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/pitts...ntonville.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/pitts...rgh-south.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/pitts...ouston-pa.html

A search will get you even more.

Old 11-23-2016, 01:44 PM

4,240 posts, read 4,917,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lprmesia View Post
Green Tree, Scott Township, Banksville (Pittsburgh neighborhood), Carnegie. There's also a community in Monroeville and a community in Moon Township, but both are a more challenging commute to downtown.

Carriage Park apartments is widely known for being a predominantly large Indian Community and is also close to an Indian grocery store called Manpasand. But ultimately, anywhere close to the intersection of Greentree Rd and Cochran Rd in Scott Township is pretty deep in the Indian Community of Pittsburgh.
This.

Also there is a decent Indian community in Franklin Park and off Cook School Road in Upper Saint Clair Township if you have more money to spend.

Old 11-23-2016, 04:01 PM

6,358 posts, read 5,053,234 times
This is the THIRD such post within the last couple years- a person of Indian descent looking for an Indian community. Are these people comfortable with their xenophobic tendencies?
Why is it that important that you reside adjacent to people of your particular ethnicity? Are you that insecure?

Old 11-24-2016, 05:00 PM

5,047 posts, read 5,801,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
This is the THIRD such post within the last couple years- a person of Indian descent looking for an Indian community. Are these people comfortable with their xenophobic tendencies?
Why is it that important that you reside adjacent to people of your particular ethnicity? Are you that insecure?
As an immigrant, I can give you my perspective. It is easier to live amongst those who have similar background to me. I have never done this, but miss it a lot in Pittsburgh. When we lived in nY, we didn't live in an Irish community but did have some irish friends. It is not a xenophobic tendency, however just to know that someone understands our background.

Old 11-24-2016, 05:32 PM

6,358 posts, read 5,053,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
As an immigrant, I can give you my perspective. It is easier to live amongst those who have similar background to me. I have never done this, but miss it a lot in Pittsburgh. When we lived in nY, we didn't live in an Irish community but did have some irish friends. It is not a xenophobic tendency, however just to know that someone understands our background.
Dorothy, my parents are immigrants. It's one thing to want to have connections based on your country of origin, but to make this your criteria for a specific housing location reeks of hypocrisy. I honestly do not want to direct a thread to being ugly. I just want to express that this is distasteful to me, since if it were the other way around, the American or Englishman living in India (or wherever) would be considered, well, narrow, self-superior, or whatever else.

Old 11-24-2016, 10:44 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,969,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
I have never done this, but miss it a lot in Pittsburgh. It is not a xenophobic tendency, however just to know that someone understands our background.
Birds of a feather flock together. Of course Americans will say "xenophobic" It is a new buzzword that people love to throw around that are ignorant and focused on their own agenda and could care less about others. Shame people are so unkind these days just because someone wants to live around others from their same country. I certainly see no problem with it, but the xenophobic crowd will be all over it. It is quite fashionable to just use the term.

Old 11-25-2016, 02:38 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,727,132 times
This is an interesting topic, maybe even for the "great debates" forum, but in this thread please focus on actually helping the op.
Yac.

Old 11-25-2016, 11:52 AM

28 posts, read 70,903 times
Indian friends of mine from Pittsburgh lived in Monroeville area and liked it. It's also close to one of America's earliest temples

https://www.svtemple.org/Home.aspx
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh