Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2017, 09:23 AM

684 posts, read 419,644 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam1957 View Post
Hi,

I have Comcast and I've been looking into trying to cut the outrageous charges for my cable bill. Verizon Fios isn't available in my area. I don't totally understand how the streaming services work. I know I'd have to buy Roku or Fire and pay for the channels I want, buy an HD antenna and subscribe to basic cable.

Has anyone done this and are you happy you did? Is there a website where I could find out what the monthly charges for the channels I want are and even if they're available?

Thank you in advance for any suggestions or opinions!
Google how to install KODI on an Amazon TV . You can get tons of content for free that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2017, 04:45 PM

6,358 posts, read 5,055,067 times
What about Root Sports? Take cable away, with all its garbage and over pricing, but then you lose the one or two channels you actually do watch occasionally, and lose all Penguin content, pretty much.

Old 04-22-2017, 06:57 PM

1,860 posts, read 2,579,496 times
I haven't had cable in about 8 or 9 years. I only had it before because it was free for a while.

Because of that, I just watch netflix and sometimes amazon prime. I have a family member's login for HBO go. This cuts down my television time to almost nothing. I don't feel like I'm missing out.

Old 04-24-2017, 06:23 AM

1,577 posts, read 1,283,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
What about Root Sports? Take cable away, with all its garbage and over pricing, but then you lose the one or two channels you actually do watch occasionally, and lose all Penguin content, pretty much.
no way to stream root but apparently they are working on getting bucco game streaming and are expecting it to be operational in may

Old 04-24-2017, 08:10 AM

4,994 posts, read 1,991,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
I prefer to think of it as sharing. We use their Comcast login, they use our Netflix and NBA League Pass. Now, PPV events, I actually STEAL.

We use...they use... It is stealing period! I everyone involves gets caught.

Old 04-24-2017, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forging Steel View Post
These telecom companies rob their customers blind. i have no qualms about stealing from them like they have stolen from me over the years.

i am also a cord cutter.I use a combination of Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, and my friend's Comcast login. Along with Torrenting (stealing yes, anyone who is unfamiliar and wants to know how, DM me!) to make up for what I can't get otherwise. I have access to far more content than I could ever watch at a fraction of the price I was paying for comcast.
You are a big part of the reason why the services cost so much. Nobody is stealing from you because you are not forced to buy the product. However what you are doing is stealing and I hope you get caught.

Old 04-24-2017, 08:26 AM

1,214 posts, read 1,457,737 times
I actually got a warning about illegal copyright ot some such for torrenting a TV episode of a station I pay for.
Which begs the question, can you 'steal' something you already paid for?

Its just so much better as far as rewinding, pausing and quality than the streaming services I have (netflix/roku/amazon and hbo go)

Haven't done it since so warning worked.. but now i fall asleep in church.

Old 04-24-2017, 07:04 PM

153 posts, read 115,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
Same here, except it was from Radioshack. Unless you're looking at a roof/attic antenna there's no reason to spend more than $20 tops. People have used paper clips and still gotten a signal.
You exactly right and there really is no such thing as a digital antenna. HD content is broadcast over the same vhf and uhf airwaves as in pre hd days and antennas are basically just wire. One might add an amplifier to boost weak signals.

I use a $20 antenna stuck to my window but sadly, don't get PBS/WQED. Would like to have a stronger antenna in the attic or rooftop but would have to get an electrician to run wire.

Old 04-24-2017, 07:31 PM

684 posts, read 419,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enough_Already View Post
You are a big part of the reason why the services cost so much. Nobody is stealing from you because you are not forced to buy the product. However what you are doing is stealing and I hope you get caught.
No, the services cost what they do because people are willing to pay that much for them.

It's the way capitalism works. If they charged 10x the amount, nobody would buy it. If all of a sudden nobody "stole" anything, they'd still charge what they do because people would pay it.

Old 04-25-2017, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prnlvsxy View Post
No, the services cost what they do because people are willing to pay that much for them.

It's the way capitalism works. If they charged 10x the amount, nobody would buy it. If all of a sudden nobody "stole" anything, they'd still charge what they do because people would pay it.
That is how it works in a book. In fact most businesses price much of their product on a markup basis. If all the companies had more revenue because people did not steal, they would have lower costs (more customers same fixed costs) and better margins. Companies could then increase revenue by cutting their prices to attract new customer. Since those customers would be coming from other companies, those companies would cut prices to keep those customers. At equilibrium, the prices would stabilize at the new lower level reflecting the lower unit cost. Stealing content results in a transfer of dollars from the customer purchasing the content legally to the customer stealing the content.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh