Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2017, 10:59 AM

41,016 posts, read 18,207,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat lou View Post
Indeed. And you would think that people who hold these views would live in Homewood or Wilkinsburg or someplace. But no: they always seem to live amongst those rotten white people, with their embarrassing genes (whatever the f&** that's supposed to mean.)
Winner.

Old 01-28-2017, 11:04 PM

3,595 posts, read 3,393,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
I agree with the sentiment that we have many people who moan about such things who won't ever do any job regardless of illegal aliens or not; I can't however discount the fact that there are actual fields that are negatively affected. Talk to any contractor for example from an area where illegal immigration is rampant & you'll find that wage suppression is a very real thing & it's virtually impossible to run a legal business & compete.
There is a large percentage of customers that want a clean cut english speaking crew in their home, if a contractor is competing for jobs on price alone instead of using his skill and the skill and reliability of his crew, he deserves to fight for work from the bottom of the pile. In my business the contractors that hire the illegals are just doing me a favor by being an example of who not to hire.

Old 01-29-2017, 08:31 AM

5 posts, read 2,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy2073 View Post
There is a large percentage of customers that want a clean cut english speaking crew in their home, if a contractor is competing for jobs on price alone instead of using his skill and the skill and reliability of his crew, he deserves to fight for work from the bottom of the pile. In my business the contractors that hire the illegals are just doing me a favor by being an example of who not to hire.
I worked with a contractor for a few years and we hired undocumented workers because the white workers wouldn't show up reliably. We even had to "bring in" a worker it was so bad. This was around 2009, when the credit crunch made finding jobs to bid difficult.

The guys we paid for finish carpentry, framing, masonry were as good as any native worker, but they were reliable and that was the key reason we hired them. We knew we could hone skill deficiency but we never really had any problems.

We worked in the city almost exclusively, so thankfully we didn't have any fun experiences with people who prefer or only hire white faces.

Old 01-29-2017, 08:42 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityisOurs View Post
I worked with a contractor for a few years and we hired undocumented workers because the white workers wouldn't show up reliably. We even had to "bring in" a worker it was so bad.
That is what the contractor said to people because the bottom line was he didn't want to pay a living wage and he found a way to find someone to do the dirty work for about nothing. Just the contractor's excuse because he knew what people were thinking. Come on, you know that is the real truth. I don't buy into your story one bit.

Old 01-29-2017, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
That is what the contractor said to people because the bottom line was he didn't want to pay a living wage and he found a way to find someone to do the dirty work for about nothing. Just the contractor's excuse because he knew what people were thinking. Come on, you know that is the real truth. I don't buy into your story one bit.
Did you work with us? No, so you don't have a clue. Come on, you know you can't tell people what their experiences were, especially when you weren't there.

Old 01-29-2017, 08:59 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
Quote:
Did you work with us? No, so you don't have a clue. Come on, you know you can't tell people what their experiences were, especially when you weren't there.
So you are going to tell me that he couldn't find anyone to work hard locally? Really? I have restored many homes and been in the business for decades. Sorry, there is only ONE excuse to import labor and that is to make more money for oneself. I don't blame people for doing it, but I don't buy into the "there are no hard workers". Bottom line is there aren't many hard workers willing to work for $10 an hour anymore. Why should they, unless they are here illegally. I don't need to be there, I have lived it for a very long time restoring very large homes. You keep telling yourself that there are no hard workers in the US and it will make you feel better though. lol

Old 01-29-2017, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
So you are going to tell me that he couldn't find anyone to work hard locally? Really? I have restored many homes and been in the business for decades. Sorry, there is only ONE excuse to import labor and that is to make more money for oneself. I don't blame people for doing it, but I don't buy into the "there are no hard workers". Bottom line is there aren't many hard workers willing to work for $10 an hour anymore. Why should they, unless they are here illegally. I don't need to be there, I have lived it for a very long time restoring very large homes. You keep telling yourself that there are no hard workers in the US and it will make you feel better though. lol
I never said one thing other than my own experience. You have your own experience. I'm not arguing with you, I didn't quote you, so what's the problem? You need to relax.

Old 01-29-2017, 09:33 AM

Quote:
I worked with a contractor for a few years and we hired undocumented workers because the white workers wouldn't show up reliably. We even had to "bring in" a worker it was so bad. This was around 2009, when the credit crunch made finding jobs to bid difficult.

The guys we paid for finish carpentry, framing, masonry were as good as any native worker, but they were reliable and that was the key reason we hired them. We knew we could hone skill deficiency but we never really had any problems.

We worked in the city almost exclusively, so thankfully we didn't have any fun experiences with people who prefer or only hire white faces.
I am sorry but i dont recall saying my customers only prefer to hire white people. My customers want a worker who shows up clean, on time, not smoking, dressed professionally, and not blasting a radio in their house. These qualities can be found over multiple races just not white people. I invest into my workers and i charge a premium for it, when other companies choose to hire a undocumented worker and fight for garbage work that is their choice.

Old 01-29-2017, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy2073 View Post
I am sorry but i dont recall saying my customers only prefer to hire white people. My customers want a worker who shows up clean, on time, not smoking, dressed professionally, and not blasting a radio in their house. These qualities can be found over multiple races just not white people. I invest into my workers and i charge a premium for it, when other companies choose to hire a undocumented worker and fight for garbage work that is their choice.
Most of the work we bid on involved historical preservation or other custom build-outs of properties in the East End. We didn't do a huge amount of work, around $1m a year, but we had a website, offered design-build and generally took a lot of pride in the end product. Not sure if that's garbage work, but I don't really know a lot about the industry, just my experience.

Old 01-29-2017, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Most of the work we bid on involved historical preservation or other custom build-outs of properties in the East End. We didn't do a huge amount of work, around $1m a year, but we had a website, offered design-build and generally took a lot of pride in the end product. Not sure if that's garbage work, but I don't really know a lot about the industry, just my experience.
I am not saying what you did was garbage work, but if a company has to hire undocumented workers or they are having a issues with employee's to the point of considering that, they should look at the way they structured their business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh