Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2016, 03:22 PM

14,352 posts, read 17,012,289 times

Advertisements

Chartiers is a small suburban neighborhood located in the Greater West End. It is sometimes termed Chartiers City, which is a bit of a confusing moniker, considering there are no boroughs or townships with the name Chartiers within Allegheny County to confuse it with. There is, however, a Chartiers school district in the South Hills, and a Chartiers Township in Washington County, which is perhaps why the appellation of city was added.

Chartiers is a very compact little neighborhood, with only 477 people as of 2010. Unsurprisingly, the neighborhood is strung out along a stretch of Chartiers Avenue. Although it's considered by the city to be a separate neighborhood from Windgap, it shares a common road pattern with the northern half of that neighborhood, so that to any person investigating the area, they would appear to be one neighborhood. Indeed, both the Chartiers Playground and the Chartiers Early Childhood Center are actually within Windgap. Most of the housing stock in Chartiers is mid-20th century styles like ranches and split levels, although some streets have a fair number of early 20th century frame houses as well. There is no commercial activity within the neighborhood, although there are a few churches.

What makes Chartiers most distinctive is that it's a stable black middle class neighborhood within city limits (In 2010 the neighborhood was 68% black). The reasons for this are unclear to me, but the neighborhood attained its current racial balance by 1980 and has not had any further white flight since then. It's 90% homeowner occupied, is wealthier than the city as a whole, and only has a small number of abandoned houses. Local crime rates are very low as well. Hopefully it will continue to be in its present configuration for years to come.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2016, 11:45 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,598,215 times
Wow, that sounds really nice. Thank you. I always wonder why I don't hear more about the nicer parts of the west end.

Old 01-24-2018, 01:14 PM

7 posts, read 5,915 times
Hi. Can you tell me is the crime from the other surrounding areas affect Chartiers resident? I am thinking of moving there as it seems to be more affordable than East End.

Old 01-24-2018, 01:27 PM

969 posts, read 771,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pittsburgh-bound View Post
Hi. Can you tell me is the crime from the other surrounding areas affect Chartiers resident? I am thinking of moving there as it seems to be more affordable than East End.
Have you been here before? It is very hard to compare the East End to Chartiers, and there are many solid options in between.

Old 01-24-2018, 01:37 PM

@xdv8, I have not driven through Chartiers but have Google Earthed it. The area is older and reminds of small suburban areas of New Orleans that I grew up in. Chartiers became a potential because it has diversity that I like, seems "stable" according to reviews, crime maps, etc.

I have been looking extensively at East End for two years trying to find affordable housing near the universities, but the prices kept rocketing up, up beyond my reach. So now I am looking at other possibilities.

Old 01-24-2018, 01:46 PM

I am going to check out the area this weekend with a realtor. Realtor, by regulations, can't tell me honest answer about area but so I need community feedback.

If I buy anything it will be to live in for another 20-30 years so hopefully it will be happy years without the stress of crime.

Thanks!

Old 01-24-2018, 03:42 PM

3,711 posts, read 2,691,854 times
Actually, the South Hills school district is called Chartiers Valley, not Chartiers.

Chartiers has the West End Overlook, no? Or it that in the West End? West End is still waiting for a takeoff. James Street Gallery moved there many years ago. Could be a cool area. Close to 279.

Old 01-24-2018, 06:48 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zalewskimm View Post
Actually, the South Hills school district is called Chartiers Valley, not Chartiers.

Chartiers has the West End Overlook, no? Or it that in the West End? West End is still waiting for a takeoff. James Street Gallery moved there many years ago. Could be a cool area. Close to 279.
The West End Overlook is in Elliott.

Old 01-25-2018, 09:38 AM

3,463 posts, read 4,644,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pittsburgh-bound View Post
@xdv8, I have not driven through Chartiers but have Google Earthed it. The area is older and reminds of small suburban areas of New Orleans that I grew up in. Chartiers became a potential because it has diversity that I like, seems "stable" according to reviews, crime maps, etc.

I have been looking extensively at East End for two years trying to find affordable housing near the universities, but the prices kept rocketing up, up beyond my reach. So now I am looking at other possibilities.
I live in Crafton and have had medical issues that required frequent doctor's appointments at UPMC Presbyterian and Magee. I didn't find the commute to be too difficult. Those hospitals are near the universities. Wanted to give you my experience with commuting from a western neighborhood. You do have to cross the bridge, but there are ways to go around the Fort Pitt tunnel.

Old 01-25-2018, 10:55 AM

@Goodjules, thanks, very helpful. I hope your health issues are better for you.

I am curious, do you experience the West side/ East side snobbery?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh