Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2017, 11:49 AM

14,352 posts, read 17,017,204 times

Advertisements

Crafton is a suburban municipality found within the Greater West end of Pittsburgh. It along with Ingram are the only two "inner suburbs" in the West End, being on the near side of the Chartiers Creek, which otherwise forms the western border of the city. Crafton developed as a true streetcar suburb, with the bulk of its growth taking place between 1000 and 1930, although growth continued at a lower pace up through to 1960. The housing stock of the borough is quite diverse, but it includes many grand old foursquares - some of which have maintained much of their historic interiors. These are particularly common in the areas immediately to the east of the core around Noble Avenue. I have noticed that Crafton has more wood frame and less brick grand houses than similar vintage neighborhoods in Pittsburgh proper.

Crafton lacks a true walkable business district. However, it has a sort of town center at the roundabout where Stolz Ave, White Ave, and Crennel Ave come together. This area has an interesting jumble of civic buildings, houses, and some retail options. It appears that urban renewal took out a lot of historic buildings in this area, but it was always mostly residential even in the early 20th century. Given it is also immediately adjacent to a stop on the West Busway, it seems like it would be a great location for mixed-use denser infill if the market in the area ever warrants it. In addition, most of the Crafton-Ingram shopping Center is within Crafton.

Crafton has been seeing a sort of slow-motion gentrification over the past decade or so, mainly due to the pluses of its historic housing stock and proximity to the city. It is unlikely it will become a "hip" area any time in the near future. However, given much of the rest of the Greater West End (both inside and outside of the city) is either stagnant or in outright decline, being an area which is seeing slow appreciation is a very good outcome indeed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2017, 12:46 PM

325 posts, read 322,945 times
There are some high priced massive homes, beautiful homes for sale there over 300k... Surprised people would pay that to live out there

https://www.redfin.com/PA/Pittsburgh.../home/73581118

https://www.redfin.com/PA/Pittsburgh.../home/73590715

Old 01-23-2017, 01:08 PM

1,577 posts, read 1,282,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky329 View Post
There are some high priced massive homes, beautiful homes for sale there over 300k... Surprised people would pay that to live out there

that kind of came off as a backhanded compliment as i am sure people would say that about your area as well. i actually am glad to see people restoring and getting top dollar for these old homes. love the character and your would pay triple in the east end.

Old 01-23-2017, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul2421 View Post
that kind of came off as a backhanded compliment as i am sure people would say that about your area as well. i actually am glad to see people restoring and getting top dollar for these old homes. love the character and your would pay triple in the east end.
haha wasn't taking shots at crafton lol... Its just sorta far out from the core, the east and the south side.. not much going on in the neighborhood. From what I have been seeing it has nice houses.. GRANDE... Just seems like it would attract a older buyer

Old 01-23-2017, 01:23 PM

14,352 posts, read 17,017,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky329 View Post

The first one looks way overpriced to me considering what it is. But the second is a grand old house with double (or triple) lot, so I don't think they amount they are asking is exorbitant.

Personally, I'd go for this or this more though. Both need some work, but have a lot more intact as well.

Old 01-23-2017, 01:38 PM

1,577 posts, read 1,282,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
The first one looks way overpriced to me considering what it is. But the second is a grand old house with double (or triple) lot, so I don't think they amount they are asking is exorbitant.

Personally, I'd go for this or this more though. Both need some work, but have a lot more intact as well.
the open floor plan style fetches a good amount these days. similar one just sold in upper brighton heights for upper 200's.

Old 01-23-2017, 01:57 PM

140 posts, read 166,149 times
Crafton's business district has mostly been gutted (particularly by the senior highrise, wolberts, and the fire station), but there is still a decent variety of stores/restaurants/etc in the area..

The borough's website actually has a bunch of pictures from 1938 that shows the in-tact business district..
Photo Gallery - Crafton Borough

Also, as noted, Crafton is very walkable & has a very eclectic mix of homes.. Below are my personal favorites:

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.4375...7i13312!8i6656
This one always catches my eye! Such a unique house..

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.4398...7i13312!8i6656
This one is like a gingerbread house!

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.4271...7i13312!8i6656
Living on a dirt road a convienent 4 miles from downtown!

Old 01-23-2017, 03:46 PM

153 posts, read 114,955 times
Crafton is close to 79 and also 376 at Greentree. It is very close to downtown. It is about ten minutes to entry of south side outside of rush hour It's also close to Mt. Washington even closer to Carnegie. Of course, a ways from the east. Crafton is a west suburb...about 1 sq mile in size. Nice housing and some pretty streets with big trees.

Old 01-23-2017, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plink View Post
Crafton is close to 79 and also 376 at Greentree. It is very close to downtown. It is about ten minutes to entry of south side outside of rush hour It's also close to Mt. Washington even closer to Carnegie. Of course, a ways from the east. Crafton is a west suburb...about 1 sq mile in size. Nice housing and some pretty streets with big trees.
the traffic coming into town during games and work shift changes is to brutal for me... I just can't be more than 5 minutes late to the hospital or I'm docked so distance and traffic is paramount

Old 01-24-2017, 09:20 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,527,671 times
I think Crafton has some very nice houses. I think a lot of the houses are exactly what a lot of buyers are looking for but for the location. Crafton is clearly cheaper than most of the city. Not sure if the savings is enough to make people pick Crafton over the city. If your budget is 300,000 and you want an older home you have a lot of options in the burbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh