Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2017, 01:14 PM

8 posts, read 6,045 times

Advertisements

I used to live in manton way between milbridge and beltzhoover sts in the 60s and attended grandview school my mum was English and we went to live in England in 1966 due to my mum being terminally ill her idea being that her folks would look after me and my 3 sisters when she was gone . I learnt many years later that she always regretted leaving Pittsburgh and I to this day still miss my time there. I am hoping that maybe in a year or 2 I may visit Arlington heights and have a look at my old home area. does any one have any memories or info of the manton way area. thanks jb
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2017, 03:01 PM

14,362 posts, read 16,918,642 times
That is not Arlington Heights, that is Allentown. There is only one house remaining on that alley - I dunno if it was the one you grew up in.

The neighborhood itself is pretty blighted and high crime these days, but there are some signs of resurgence on the nearby business district on E Warrington Avenue. Things like an upscale Italian restaurant and a coffeeshop.

Old 01-28-2017, 03:16 PM

6,357 posts, read 5,022,037 times
Eschaton, are we to assume that entire street HAD BEEN homes? It's crazy to think the foundations may still be there, and so cellars with personal belongings/artifacts. wow.

It's makes me feel bad for this guy. John Bailey - chances are you an older person, so do not get offended if I ask whether you are well-versed in online mapping. Google maps (google.com/maps) will clearly show you the street level view where there are tiny prairies of grass where houses likely stood - and where yours was situated.

Maybe a visit will be worthwhile - there might be buildings in the area that remain, which could be associated with fond memories for you.

Old 01-28-2017, 09:47 PM

14,362 posts, read 16,918,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
Eschaton, are we to assume that entire street HAD BEEN homes? It's crazy to think the foundations may still be there, and so cellars with personal belongings/artifacts. wow.
It's not the only house on Manton Way, but it's the only house between the two streets the OP mentioned. There are still a ton of them east of Arlington Avenue.

Looking on the historic parcel maps there were more houses on the street in the past. However, Manton Way was a "catty corner" alley for most of those blocks, meaning there really weren't that many alley houses.

Old 02-13-2017, 07:02 AM

thank u all for ure replies I lived in a block of 2 houses just further along from the sole house, they were facing the 2 derelict garages and further along still a houses back yard gos into manton way from millbridge st. we gave the people of that house our dog cause we could not take him I always remember him stood up to the fence and watching us leave very sad indeed. it was wishful thinking that my house would still be there ( looked on google street maps ) and yes our house had a basement so who knows what could be down there from later tenants. I don't remember it being that crime riddled when I was there just remember it being a great place to grow up. before we moved there we lived in an apartment I just remember there being lots of blocks of apartments maybe that was Arlington heights ? couple of names I remember from round there were the ketterings and the ratcliffes I know its a long shot but maybe sum 1 remembers those names. there was also a car repair shop across from our house and the owner was a guy called George. I also remember going swimming to an outdoor pool in the summer down off east warrington ave. oddly enough we moved to a town in England called warrington !! spooky once again thanks for all the info god bless u all john bailey

Old 02-13-2017, 02:09 PM

595 posts, read 596,744 times
You were right about the pool - however the pool that was once behind the Warrington Rec Center has been replaced with a playground. This happened in either 2013 or 2014 - however the pool appeared to have been closed for quite sometime before this (at least a decade).

Unfortunately I'm not able to verify any of the other details. Arlington Heights was definitely a large block of apartments, but it was a few miles away.

I kind of wish I could have seen the area back in the 1960s. I only live a mile from there and pass down Warrington coming home from work every day.

Old 02-14-2017, 06:43 AM

thank u so much ip brought back so many memories looking at the pic of warrington rec. there was another outdoor pool which was a lot further away called reems I think do u have any info on that ? I got a shiver down my spine when u said u drive past there every day. I lived all over the usa as my father was in the usaf but Pittsburgh is the only 1 I miss and I hope to return 1 day. another memory of my time was going to a supermarket way past allen st and walking down manton way with the trolley full of food. I recall going on the incline which was a big thrill for me and seeing the circus at the civic arena my buddies mom worked there at the time ( mrs ratcliffe) and one day she brought a monkey home true !! I only have fond memories of my time there in the 60s there always seemed to be plenty to do . I know when we arrived in England I kept asking when are we going back for a long time . I remember as I got to my teenage years that I would be sent for by the military as there was still conscription then and that would have suited me as it was a way of getting back home . take care john bailey

Old 02-14-2017, 08:57 AM

595 posts, read 596,744 times
I actually live only a few blocks away from Ream's Pool. It still exists and is still open! That area has been much more stable and is much more intact, even though a tornado hit that section pretty good back in 1998. It's hard

Though I swear that traffic light at the corner of Virginia and Merrimac might be 100 years old, haha.

Old 02-14-2017, 01:40 PM

hi ip well it proves the old saying that its a small world thank u so much for the links brought back a lot of memories of walking up there ( I never told my mom though lol) ure rite that lite does look a little dated like me lol, as I said earlier I really want to visit there and just walk around the my old neighbourhood perhaps one day. another thing I remember is the 1st pizza take away opening on east warrington ave and the queue was soooo long but it was worth. it if u can send me any more info I would be most grateful, I also remember a 5 and dime opening down near manton way on e warrington ave very exciting I was never out of there looking at all stuff. take care and many thanks . john bailey

Old 03-22-2017, 04:00 PM

325 posts, read 321,054 times
Medical Examiner: 2 Bodies Found In Allentown Home « CBS Pittsburgh

what a shame
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh