Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2007, 11:10 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,045,902 times

Advertisements

If anyone has lived or visited New England these last 20-40-odd years, you'll know that it, too, was hit hard and many communities blighted nearly out of existence.

While many of these cities by comparison are much smaller than Pittsburgh, several have seen a rebound.

Take a look at Providence, RI. Much of the industrial outlets in and near were first relocated to the South, then East--very East like Formosa, etc. leaving people jobless and feeling hopeless.

However, in the last ten-some years, Providence has seen a resurgent population, a reclamation of housing stock, and commercial property, all of which has benefited the overall city and state population.

It took a great deal of energy, planning, cooperation and commitment, but it is happening. If people would take an active and positive role in Pittsburgh it is possible for this beautiful city to be re-born. Now a city, just like a seedling, takes time to grow but grow it does.

Every single person I know in Pittsburgh is engaged in civil affairs, community activities, attending meetings, joining forces, and trying to make their homes better. I see the blight. I don't have rose-coloured glasses. I have been involved in various communities. But I remain not optimistic, but hopeful that cities like Pittsburgh can be rebuilt and reclaimed.

Old 01-07-2007, 01:25 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,045,902 times
Chinenjim, I've seen many of those areas with my own eyes, I didn't need the pictures!

My daughter moved to Pittsburgh about four years ago--her husband is from Pittsburgh. Believe me, they are making a life, have one child, another on the way, both are well educated, and are doing well--not great, but well. They are much better off than when they lived in Burlington (VT), NYC or the year they escaped to South America.

We each chose what is in our best interest. A city like Pittsburgh gives them flexibility they didn't have elsewhere.

Let's just agree to disagree, okay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinenjim View Post
Pittsburgh cannot and will not be reclaimed, unless you bulldoze the whole place and start from scratch. Look at the pictures I posted and tell me "how could hell be any worse"?
Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh