Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2017, 07:47 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,747,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
I wonder how many of these high end housing have high end mortgages, are people living beyond their means etc and keeping up with the jones.
Probably not many. Pittsburgh had the lowest personal debt per capita of any major metropolitan area in 2010, and I doubt that it's changed significantly since.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2017, 03:06 PM

4,212 posts, read 3,297,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krogerDisco View Post
A comprehensive rail system.
Right now The T just covers downtown and the southside. It should go east, west, and north. North to Cranberry with a regional extension to Butler. East to Monroeville with a regional extension to Greensburg. West to the airport with a regional extension to Weirton. And regional lines to Kittanning and Washington.

A comedy club
Might need some support from a foundation to keep it going. Return something like Funny Bone back to Station Square. Need to redouble the effort to make Station Square a tourist destination. Local improv is good but what is needed is a place to attract the comedians touring the country.

A hostel
There is "Not Another Hostel" but last I checked, you have to jump through a lot of hoops to be able to stay there. This might also need foundation support to keep it going.
Pittsburgh has the Improv, which is the most respected "chain" comedy club in the country. Outside of NYC and Los Angeles, Pittsburgh comedy seems to be on par with most other US cities.

The T has 26 miles of track, not bad for a city the size of Pittsburgh. I agree it needs an east/west line into Shadyside.

Old 02-14-2017, 03:32 PM

4,177 posts, read 2,958,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
Pittsburgh has the Improv, which is the most respected "chain" comedy club in the country. Outside of NYC and Los Angeles, Pittsburgh comedy seems to be on par with most other US cities.

The T has 26 miles of track, not bad for a city the size of Pittsburgh. I agree it needs an east/west line into Shadyside.
The east and west busways serve that purpose. Shadyside has two stops along the busway. The Negley Station as well as the East Liberty Station.

https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=en...m7Cm4Qpx8IczAO

https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=en...97BhsQpx8IazAK

Old 02-14-2017, 07:14 PM

2,109 posts, read 2,159,791 times
Quote:

It is most certainly not on par with Portland, Seattle, San Fran, Philly, or Boston, just to name a few. Many nationally known comedians don't tour at the Improv, instead favoring locally-owned clubs.

Old 02-14-2017, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsStanwix? View Post
It is most certainly not on par with Portland, Seattle, San Fran, Philly, or Boston, just to name a few. Many nationally known comedians don't tour at the Improv, instead favoring locally-owned clubs.
So I live in San Diego (though I am typing this from 42nd street in L-ville) where we have The Comedy Store, the sister location of the world's premier comedy club, The Comedy Store in West Hollywood, and a few others. On the weekends, we'll get a middling national comedian, usually throughout the week it's local people. That's what the Pittsburgh Improv is, and most comedy places around the country. At the Comedy Store in Hollywood you could pay $15 to get in to see 16 national comedians and maybe Louis CK or Chappelle drops in by surprise (on a Tuesday). I imagine it's similar at the Cellar and Carolines in NYC. The point is, comedy is mostly in NY and LA, not even as much in Chicago anymore. I know SF has the sketchfest, but I'd need to see some proof that overrated Portland has anything out of the norm or Seattle either. Most cities have the one club that gets the national talent, then big acts like Amy Schumer will do an arena (like she did in PGH), then the rest is local. That's what Pittsburgh has. I think Pittsburgh should get something the UCB theatre here though.

Old 02-14-2017, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsStanwix? View Post

Also, there are Improv clubs in Irvine, Brea, and Ontario....they routinely get better acts than San Diego does despite those cities being a fraction of the size.

Old 02-15-2017, 07:17 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,982,581 times
Quote:
26 miles is good on paper, but it's so limited with it only going one direction. If it was five ~5 mile spurs from downtown it would be the same amount of track, but way more robust of a system.

Old 02-15-2017, 11:13 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,530,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
I am not looking for a partner ; have been married for a very long time. I am talking about parents of kids that are in the school with our kids, neighbors who live across the street etc. I am also talking about the fact that most people have their extended families living here and spend a lot of time with them, so it is harder to have a social life or make the effort to get to know outsiders in a social setting.
Part of my wife's family was from Ireland. One of their hobbies is being "Irish". A few friends are the same way. Being from Ireland is definitely a plus too many in Pittsburgh. I realize that you have kids but the Harp and Fiddle (an Irish Pub in the Strip District) is like a private club in that when you go there everyone seems to know every one.

Old 02-15-2017, 12:16 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,546,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobrob View Post
Part of my wife's family was from Ireland. One of their hobbies is being "Irish". A few friends are the same way. Being from Ireland is definitely a plus too many in Pittsburgh. I realize that you have kids but the Harp and Fiddle (an Irish Pub in the Strip District) is like a private club in that when you go there everyone seems to know every one.

You should join the Irish center near Greenfield. It'a a poorman'a country club.

Old 02-16-2017, 11:17 AM

11,058 posts, read 12,452,032 times
Why is rail necessary? We are very quickly leaving the age of train transit within cities. Come to the east coast and live for 6 months. It's really not all it's cracked up to be. Not to mention, the drain on the capital of the region is so incredibly massive. Who knows what else could have been done with the hundreds of billions of dollars! The state really ruined inner city transportation about 100 years ago. Now we are stuck not knowing what the best way to get around actually is since it's all state owned and socialized.

Pittsburgh should count itself lucky they haven't fallen prey to the magic bullet of light rail that everyone wants you to think is so amazing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh