Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2017, 06:54 AM

440 posts, read 549,789 times

Advertisements

I have a full time job .... However, looking to fill some free time and make some extra money to pay off lingering debt.

My working hours are evening (7- 12) and 24/7 on the weekends. YES, not exactly an employers ideal version of availability.

EVERY time, I apply to a job SPECIFICALLY asking for those hours of availability ( even in job title description) -- They require you to work day light or multiple shifts.. MIND BLOWING when you ask for a person to work a set schedule but require them to work another.... Happen about 5 times so far.

So any idea if this is even possible and if so , any idea on which industry or companies .. anything will be a help.

THANK YOU
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2017, 07:00 AM

6,358 posts, read 5,056,374 times
It sounds like they are not thinking it through. I honestly do not believe there is anything sneaky about this. They might be using old script when/where they place an ad. Or, the person placing the ad is not actually the hiring manager/supervisor.

The worst thing to do is to stop looking. Five is nothing to frown at - that is probably not even the average for job opportunities that do not logistically work out for an already-employed person.

I have worked two jobs for 8 years now, and will move on from the non-career one soon because it is not worth the anguish. It may be a mistake just for the reason you cited, but I think nowadays part-time jobs with hours flexible enough for an already employed person are gone. They seen to desire mostly people who will make that part-time job central to their life, instead of a supplemental income on free time.

Hang in there, and kudos to you for wanting to work harder to meet your debts.

If I see anything, I will pass it on to you. You are...north side, if I recall?

Old 02-05-2017, 08:06 AM

3,595 posts, read 3,394,276 times
Did you look at fedex and ups package handler jobs, i think they had a night and early morning schedule with just a few hours a day.

Old 02-05-2017, 02:35 PM

1,304 posts, read 3,036,171 times
I'm not sure as to the type of part-time job that you are seeking, or in what locales, but in the North Hills, there seem to be a substantial number of openings in retail and fast food. If you're looking to work in a restaurant, however, serving and bar-tending opportunities are going to be scarce for you because the hours that are seeking are also the prime money-making times for experienced full-time/flexible hours personnel. Your best hope of finding a part-time position, for the evening and weekend hours available in your current schedule, is to look for positions with certain shifts that are not nearly as desirable to most employees.

Old 02-06-2017, 04:53 AM

684 posts, read 419,767 times
What about Uber or Lyft? You can set your own hours there.

Old 02-06-2017, 05:08 AM

708 posts, read 578,148 times
What about hotels/motels in the area, they always need night clerks. Also, mini marts at gas stations are open 24/7 too.

Old 02-06-2017, 05:41 AM

684 posts, read 419,767 times
Also pizza delivery driver

Old 02-06-2017, 05:45 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times
Bartender? Waitstaff?

Old 02-06-2017, 06:56 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,156,239 times
Uber or Lyft, waiter, or bar-tending could all be good options. The best thing with ride sharing is you make the hours so you wouldn't have to worry about pleasing an employer but the drawbacks are the usage on your car and I think they have age requirements for the car as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
View detailed profiles of: