Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2017, 07:47 AM

81 posts, read 99,965 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm considering a move to Pittsburgh. One question I have is about Lyme Disease. I've read online that the number of cases of Lyme has grown significantly in Allegheny County in the past few years, but I can't seem to find stats about Pittsburgh and its suburbs specifically. Is Lyme a growing problem in your area? Do you know anyone who's had it? Do you find ticks more often nowadays?

I would be renting an apartment, unsure where. I don't plan to hike deep in the woods or do any gardening, but I would be walking my dog in the area parks. Is this a concern?

Thanks everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2017, 08:09 AM

4,240 posts, read 4,917,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellabella2 View Post
Hello,

I'm considering a move to Pittsburgh. One question I have is about Lyme Disease. I've read online that the number of cases of Lyme has grown significantly in Allegheny County in the past few years, but I can't seem to find stats about Pittsburgh and its suburbs specifically. Is Lyme a growing problem in your area? Do you know anyone who's had it? Do you find ticks more often nowadays?

I would be renting an apartment, unsure where. I don't plan to hike deep in the woods or do any gardening, but I would be walking my dog in the area parks. Is this a concern?

Thanks everyone!
It's a HUGE problem. Most have little knowledge about lyme but it's a serious problem. My roomate contracted it and we live right next to Downtown Pittsburgh.

However, checking for ticks when you've been outside in city Parks or the surrounding woods will help prevent it. Know the signs (bullseye rash, random vomiting, weight loss) and see a doctor if you have any of these symptoms and ask for a blood test.

FWIW, you actually have a higher chance of getting lyme in the coastal northeastern cities due to the climate there (warmer and more thaws in the winter). Philadelphia and Washington are the two worst major cities for lyme.

Old 02-07-2017, 09:43 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,152,053 times
I did find this map from the CDC about prevalence by year. The disease is much more common here than 10 years ago.

https://www.cdc.gov/lyme/stats/

Old 02-07-2017, 10:24 AM

Location: The Flagship City and Vacation in the Paris of Appalachia
2,773 posts, read 3,857,133 times
Ticks and Lyme Disease are becoming more common across the U.S. and they seem to be spreading at a rapid pace as the climate changes. It seems that the only places that are relatively immune for now are deserts or mountains.

Lyme disease

Old 02-07-2017, 10:41 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,969,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by speagles84 View Post
It's a HUGE problem. Most have little knowledge about lyme but it's a serious problem. My roomate contracted it and we live right next to Downtown Pittsburgh.

However, checking for ticks when you've been outside in city Parks or the surrounding woods will help prevent it. Know the signs (bullseye rash, random vomiting, weight loss) and see a doctor if you have any of these symptoms and ask for a blood test.

FWIW, you actually have a higher chance of getting lyme in the coastal northeastern cities due to the climate there (warmer and more thaws in the winter). Philadelphia and Washington are the two worst major cities for lyme.
This.

Old 03-08-2017, 04:01 PM

81 posts, read 99,965 times
Thank you everyone for your feedback!

Old 03-08-2017, 04:23 PM

3,711 posts, read 2,696,101 times
No epidemic of anything in Pittsburgh. Lyme or otherwise. You're good to go!

And I'm outside running over 2 hours a day on trails, by the rivers, etc. Really it's no problem at all..

Old 03-08-2017, 04:58 PM

2,860 posts, read 1,899,604 times
^ Bad advice. It is certainly something to be cognizant of.

Allegheny County Health Department - Timely Topic

Old 03-09-2017, 02:31 PM

Location: Just East of the Southern Portion of the Western Part of PA
1,272 posts, read 3,707,362 times
I use 100% Deet as a cologne. The ladies really seem to like it in Pittsburgh...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh