Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2017, 10:01 AM

3,291 posts, read 2,772,549 times

Advertisements

I thought everyone knew by now that these lists are just marketing bait for the publishers? If they don't switch the rankings around and create some controversy, then they wouldn't make the headlines on various websites, which is their goal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2017, 10:26 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
Another click bait story that puts Pittsburgh right up there. Guess we are great again. Thank goodness.

The 12 cities where you can live large on $60,000

Old 02-12-2017, 07:59 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,802,909 times
Also after 5 years here, yes the cost of housing is less. But Pittsburgh is really getting as expensive as any other city however the wages are not there.

Groceries are more expensive here than in the Poconos, eating out again, is as expensive as any other metro area. Clothing is also as expensive. I went to a diner on Long Island last week for breakfast and it was about the same cost for 2 as First Watch is.

Old 02-12-2017, 08:13 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
Groceries are more expensive here than in the Poconos, eating out again, is as expensive as any other metro area. Clothing is also as expensive. I went to a diner on Long Island last week for breakfast and it was about the same cost for 2 as First Watch is.
Hmm, some suggestions. Aldi and Trader Joes are very reasonable and Aldi is really changing a lot for the better. Eating out is about the same here as in most any metro? I agree, we are on par with even NYC. I don't know about clothing, since we don't tax it in our state, so aren't we saving on clothes here?

The real estate market is pretty brisk in Pittsburgh, but I have been looking at other areas for relocation and prices are pretty high everywhere it seems. I can't believe how expensive it has gotten down south, which used to be so cheap. Geez!

I have a feeling you are moving back. I think you did well for your kids though. They seemed to thrive here and that is important.

Old 02-12-2017, 08:26 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,802,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Hmm, some suggestions. Aldi and Trader Joes are very reasonable and Aldi is really changing a lot for the better. Eating out is about the same here as in most any metro? I agree, we are on par with even NYC. I don't know about clothing, since we don't tax it in our state, so aren't we saving on clothes here?

The real estate market is pretty brisk in Pittsburgh, but I have been looking at other areas for relocation and prices are pretty high everywhere it seems. I can't believe how expensive it has gotten down south, which used to be so cheap. Geez!

I have a feeling you are moving back. I think you did well for your kids though. They seemed to thrive here and that is important.
Yes, our kids definitely thrived here and I would do it again in a heartbeat. I cannot complain about that one bit. Yes, I will be moving once our youngest graduates.

Old 02-12-2017, 04:55 PM

1,223 posts, read 1,042,845 times
Toledo #71 is better than New York #80. I don't want to knock Toledo, or any other city, but what exactly am I supposed to glean from these lists?

Old 02-12-2017, 05:49 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,036,357 times
These lists were always pointless. People lost their minds when Pittsburgh was rated highly on a few lists. It was always a crock, though. Pittsburgh has always been an interesting, authentic place. It doesn't need fake validation. I feel like it just attracted attention from people who chase trends.

Old 02-12-2017, 05:57 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PreservationPioneer View Post
These lists were always pointless. People lost their minds when Pittsburgh was rated highly on a few lists. It was always a crock, though. Pittsburgh has always been an interesting, authentic place. It doesn't need fake validation. I feel like it just attracted attention from people who chase trends.
Agree, and have said so in past.

Old 02-13-2017, 05:20 AM

6,358 posts, read 5,055,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PreservationPioneer View Post
Good point, but when this city started making lists, they (the lists) were not as ubiquitous as they are now. Am I right - at one time there was the Rand McNally most liveable cities, then maybe Money, and Fortune, with the last two having a different criteria.

Now there are so many. So I do not agree it was "always a crock", but "fake validation"? Yes, nowadays that is what it seems to be. Yet sometimes we revel in places we admire (San Francisco, for example) when they rate high in some kind of list.

Old 02-13-2017, 07:19 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
Good point, but when this city started making lists, they (the lists) were not as ubiquitous as they are now. Am I right - at one time there was the Rand McNally most liveable cities, then maybe Money, and Fortune, with the last two having a different criteria.

Now there are so many. So I do not agree it was "always a crock", but "fake validation"? Yes, nowadays that is what it seems to be. Yet sometimes we revel in places we admire (San Francisco, for example) when they rate high in some kind of list.
Yes, it's always been a crock. I think you misjudge how ubiquitous these lists were "back in the day". I have an old Rand-McNally "Places Rated" from . . . .1985! That's before some of you were even born, I'm sure. Even then, people disagreed with the methodology. (How can you say Champaign, IL has a better climate than Denver, etc.) [The Places Rated guys admitted they biased towards 'mild' for climate, but they seemed to just take the numbers on paper and not look into it IRL.] Before the internet, there was the mass media. When I was a mother of young kids, Parents magazine was always doing lists of "best places to raise a child", etc. Travel magazines did "best places" to travel for this, that, and the other. Interest magazines, bicycling for example, did articles about "best places" to bike. Hiking, other activity mags did the same. And it's easy to finagle the criteria to make it show anything you want. Plus, many of these "lists" go for geographic balance, so some of the strangest places get ranked as "best".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh