Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2022, 03:38 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUILD PENN SQUARE View Post
at what point does the developer of the new whole foods in east liberty contact google and say, those old buildings you're showing where all the eldery low-income people lived, yeah we threw them out and tore those buildings down, that plan you're showing is inaccurate.
Let's keep in mind, those buildings were way old and outdated. They are now living in the luxury building we as taxpayers built for them. They live well above what SCR lives in that actually works hard for a living.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2022, 05:39 PM

4,177 posts, read 2,957,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Let's keep in mind, those buildings were way old and outdated. They are now living in the luxury building we as taxpayers built for them. They live well above what SCR lives in that actually works hard for a living.
That’s condescending. For all you know SCR could love his home and not feel that way. He is not renting an apartment in a dated mid century high rise in the Turtle Creek Valley….or worse Mon Valley. Where exactly do you think the displaced seniors moved to? Luxurious complexes in what neighborhood? How much did you pay?

Old 12-28-2022, 08:03 PM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins2 View Post
That’s condescending. For all you know SCR could love his home and not feel that way. He is not renting an apartment in a dated mid century high rise in the Turtle Creek Valley….or worse Mon Valley. Where exactly do you think the displaced seniors moved to? Luxurious complexes in what neighborhood? How much did you pay?
They most likely moved to the brand new high end places in Larimar and around East Liberty that would cost $500k or $3K to rent, but free to some.

Old 12-28-2022, 08:20 PM

4,177 posts, read 2,957,958 times
Quote:
They most likely moved to the brand new high end places in Larimar and around East Liberty that would cost $500k or $3K to rent, but free to some.
This is another one of your made up racist scenarios that are far removed from the truth. “ they most likely” as if you knew.

Old 12-28-2022, 08:45 PM
gg

Quote:
This is another one of your made up racist scenarios that are far removed from the truth. “ they most likely” as if you knew.
Then educate me. The newer complex across from Fire Side Public House on the corner of Broad and Larimar, what are those? With the nice balconies and such. Those would be so expensive if someone had to work and pay for them. Unaffordable for. most in such a location.

Old 12-29-2022, 07:25 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Quote:
Quote:
I love my home. I am not in love with my neighborhood.

I do the bare minimum to give back to my neighborhood by walking around with a rolling garbage can picking up litter a few times per week. Other neighbors try to coax me into blowing up 311/911 to report illicit activities/affairs as I witness them when I am picking up litter, but I happen to know those same neighbors face harassment/retaliation from those they tattle against. This is why I elect not to do so, much to the chagrin of erieguy who would call 311/911 daily for every little issue in my neighborhood and then act shocked when he would be retaliated against. Instead as I witness disputes and drug transactions and traffic violations and whatnot I just pretend I didn't see them. I already know many of my neighbors hate the police anyways, so I don't want to be responsible for calling 911 and bringing a cop into a neighborhood where they aren't wanted. I would hazard a guess to say there are a lot of people in my neighborhood with felonious records who wouldn't take kindly to someone squealing on them.

Obviously the dregs of Marshall-Shadeland moved here because they were gentrified out of the expensive Lower North Side neighborhoods like the Mexican War Streets/Central North Side, East Allegheny, Manchester, etc. If we work hard to gentrify Marshall-Shadeland, too, then where are those dregs of society supposed to move? Brighton Heights is more expensive. Bellevue and Avalon are more expensive. Ross Township is more expensive. There is a waiting list for public housing projects on the North Side. As someone who was gentrified myself out of the nicer neighborhood of Polish Hill by wealthier whites (despite the East End progressives on here implying it is only gentrification if rich whites displace poor Blacks) I am a bit sensitive to gentrification. The poor have to live somewhere, and like it or not my neighborhood disproportionately houses them thanks to a few suburban slumlords who gobble up properties and make them all Section 8 rentals.

Old 12-29-2022, 07:51 AM

41,016 posts, read 18,207,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post

I do the bare minimum to give back to my neighborhood by walking around with a rolling garbage can picking up litter a few times per week. Other neighbors try to coax me into blowing up 311/911 to report illicit activities/affairs as I witness them when I am picking up litter, but I happen to know those same neighbors face harassment/retaliation from those they tattle against. This is why I elect not to do so, much to the chagrin of erieguy who would call 311/911 daily for every little issue in my neighborhood and then act shocked when he would be retaliated against. Instead as I witness disputes and drug transactions and traffic violations and whatnot I just pretend I didn't see them. I already know many of my neighbors hate the police anyways, so I don't want to be responsible for calling 911 and bringing a cop into a neighborhood where they aren't wanted. I would hazard a guess to say there are a lot of people in my neighborhood with felonious records who wouldn't take kindly to someone squealing on them.

Obviously the dregs of Marshall-Shadeland moved here because they were gentrified out of the expensive Lower North Side neighborhoods like the Mexican War Streets/Central North Side, East Allegheny, Manchester, etc. If we work hard to gentrify Marshall-Shadeland, too, then where are those dregs of society supposed to move? Brighton Heights is more expensive. Bellevue and Avalon are more expensive. Ross Township is more expensive. There is a waiting list for public housing projects on the North Side. As someone who was gentrified myself out of the nicer neighborhood of Polish Hill by wealthier whites (despite the East End progressives on here implying it is only gentrification if rich whites displace poor Blacks) I am a bit sensitive to gentrification. The poor have to live somewhere, and like it or not my neighborhood disproportionately houses them thanks to a few suburban slumlords who gobble up properties and make them all Section 8 rentals.
Love the assumption. Couldn’t be paid to live in such a neighborhood to begin with. However, instead of constantly complaining about it I would certainly look to do something my situation, as complaining does nothing. And great stuff how you brought up before wanting gentrification in your neighborhood, as you’ve complained about gentrification for so many years, along with getting a gun while for so many years saying one doesn’t need a gun because of feeling safe in the city. Quite the hypocrisy.

Keep blaming others when you made your own choice. How do you know they’re suburban and slumlords?

Last edited by erieguy; 12-29-2022 at 08:03 AM..

Old 12-29-2022, 07:58 AM

6,358 posts, read 5,055,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Love the assumption. Couldn’t be paid to live in such a neighborhood to begin with. However, instead of constantly complaining about it I would certainly look to do something about it, as complaining does nothing. And great stuff how you brought up before wanting gentrification in your neighborhood, as you’ve complained about gentrification for so many years, along with getting a gun while for so many years one doesn’t need a gun because of feeling safe in the city. The hypocrisy is great stuff.
im not adding much to the conversation, except to say that on the surface, Marshall-Shadeland does not look bad overall. There are some beautiful old(er) type homes, and some better kept streets there.

that was my starting point on looking for a house now numerous years ago. good decision to avoid it, but the neighbors were gleeful, i think, when i was there visiting with the real estate agent. i am not sure, but i believe they hold their breath, hoping ratchet redneckian types dont move in next door.
not that they knew ME....im a bad mo-fo after all and will shoot anyone who looks at me the wrong way!

M-Sh was overall probably much much nicer decades ago - with its easy access to the central business district and lower North Side, and you can get to the North Hills w/ relative ease. And again, there are some nice properties there and some streets are lucky to have 'better' residents who actually care for it.

Old 12-29-2022, 08:28 AM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post

Thanks for the update. I feel for you, but you did purchase a home and that is pretty impressive. So many younger folks don't get to that level.

I wish. you lived in a better area though. If the government is handing things out, one would think a person working hard and trying should get some benefit.

Wishing you the best and hope you are safe there. MS makes the news for shooting VERY often and every time I read about them, I hope you are okay. Hopefully the shootings aren't close to your home.

Old 12-29-2022, 09:15 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,030,476 times
Quote:
Even split...... There are large housing developments in the pipeline all over East Liberty and Larimer. Some are market rate while others are subsidized. East Liberty will always have a black component. Sorry to burst your bubble.
Yeah, just about every large scale new development south of East Liberty Boulevard (other than the building at the corner of Penn and Highland) is at least mixed income, and most are still majority black. These units are income protected for decades and the tenants aren't going anywhere, and there are plans for additional mixed income properties as of yet.

The more single family blocks north of there will eventually be as white as Highland Park, but as a whole I don't see East Liberty falling below 30% black.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh