Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2017, 09:22 PM

1,705 posts, read 1,388,284 times

Advertisements

https://www.forbes.com/sites/falonfa.../#19befeb02c03

Top 5 are:

Salt Lake City
Denver
Atlanta
Portland
Seattle

Odd that Seattle is not #1, since it already has Microsoft and Amazon. Apparently, Pittsburgh is not impressing Forbes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2017, 09:43 PM

2,109 posts, read 2,158,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krogerDisco View Post
https://www.forbes.com/sites/falonfa.../#19befeb02c03

Top 5 are:

Salt Lake City
Denver
Atlanta
Portland
Seattle

Odd that Seattle is not #1, since it already has Microsoft and Amazon. Apparently, Pittsburgh is not impressing Forbes.
Of those, I'd guess Denver. Pittsburgh isn't on the radar in the scheme of things. Surprised Austin isn't in the mix, but those seem like reasonable choices outside of SLC which I don't know too much about aside from the fact that skiing is close by and the alcohol laws are even more restrictive than PA.

Honestly, the next "Silicon Valley", that is, a location that has an unexpectedly large influence on the direction of the world economy, is likely to be outside of the US.

Old 03-30-2017, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsStanwix? View Post
Of those, I'd guess Denver. Pittsburgh isn't on the radar in the scheme of things. Surprised Austin isn't in the mix, but those seem like reasonable choices outside of SLC which I don't know too much about aside from the fact that skiing is close by and the alcohol laws are even more restrictive than PA.

Honestly, the next "Silicon Valley", that is, a location that has an unexpectedly large influence on the direction of the world economy, is likely to be outside of the US.
I agree that Austin should be there...and Boston.

Old 03-30-2017, 08:49 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krogerDisco View Post
I agree that Austin should be there...and Boston.
Well, they limited it to 5. I'm not so impressed with Salt Lake City, myself. Boston is Pittsburgh's "Eds and Meds" on steroids!

Old 03-30-2017, 09:07 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,879,034 times
Not sure why one would expect Pittsburgh to be on the list. We haven't really had any successful startups. Yes CMU is a big tech asset but our 'successes' have mainly been in the form of attracting small branches of some of the large established tech companies plus the uber testing grounds.

Old 03-30-2017, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
Not sure why one would expect Pittsburgh to be on the list. We haven't really had any successful startups. Yes CMU is a big tech asset but our 'successes' have mainly been in the form of attracting small branches of some of the large established tech companies plus the uber testing grounds.
Well, I would point out that Pittsburgh startups:

Nowait- bought up by Yelp

FacioMetrics- bought by Facebook

Argo AI- bought by Ford

Old 03-30-2017, 05:24 PM

1,223 posts, read 1,040,748 times
The next Silicon Valley? It's not going anywhere. All other areas of the US pale in comparison, and always have since the transistor was invented. https://www.entrepreneur.com/article/242159

There will be some decent tech ecosystems that spring up around the country, like Austin, the triangle, Boston, San Diego. But nothing that challenges the SF/San Jose area.

Old 03-31-2017, 09:12 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,323,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 216facts View Post
The next Silicon Valley? It's not going anywhere. All other areas of the US pale in comparison, and always have since the transistor was invented. https://www.entrepreneur.com/article/242159

There will be some decent tech ecosystems that spring up around the country, like Austin, the triangle, Boston, San Diego. But nothing that challenges the SF/San Jose area.
I was going to say the same thing, nothing is ever going to rival Silicon Valley. Sure there will be pockets here and there around the US and they will come up with cute names like:

Silicon Alley - New York City
Silicon Desert - Phoenix metroplex, specifically Chandler and Tempe
Silicon Hills - Austin, Texas and its suburbs
Silicon Forest - Portland, Oregon
Silicon Prairie - Metropolitan Dallas (primarily the northern region and its suburbs)
Silicon Mountain - Front Range Urban Corridor, Colorado (Denver, Boulder, Fort Collins, Colorado Springs)
Silicon River - Boston and Cambridge, Massachusetts
Silicon Slopes - Salt Lake City, Utah including Utah County (Provo, Utah) and Summit County (Park City, Utah) and surrounding areas

but in the end, there is only one Silicon Valley!

Old 03-31-2017, 02:20 PM

3,733 posts, read 5,962,766 times
Not sure I'd want to live anywhere that has the name "silicon" in it, though.

Old 04-01-2017, 07:20 AM

4,537 posts, read 12,397,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
I was going to say the same thing, nothing is ever going to rival Silicon Valley. Sure there will be pockets here and there around the US and they will come up with cute names like:

Silicon Alley - New York City
Silicon Desert - Phoenix metroplex, specifically Chandler and Tempe
Silicon Hills - Austin, Texas and its suburbs
Silicon Forest - Portland, Oregon
Silicon Prairie - Metropolitan Dallas (primarily the northern region and its suburbs)
Silicon Mountain - Front Range Urban Corridor, Colorado (Denver, Boulder, Fort Collins, Colorado Springs)
Silicon River - Boston and Cambridge, Massachusetts
Silicon Slopes - Salt Lake City, Utah including Utah County (Provo, Utah) and Summit County (Park City, Utah) and surrounding areas

but in the end, there is only one Silicon Valley!
Silicon Beach - San Diego

And I'm not talking about implants bouncing up and down in slow motion

San Diego has a major biomedical focus growing out of the UCSD medical school, plus an infant cybersecurity industry originally developing out of the US Navy as the customer, and then feeding off of Navy talent coming out of the service with all of their security clearances intact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh