Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2017, 07:39 AM

7 posts, read 8,701 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I am planning to move with my family by july and looking for rentals. Plan is to rent for couple of years and eventually buy a new home. Here is the criteria

1. Best Schools - Elementary, Middle and High

My List

1. USC 2. Mt. Lebo 3. North Allegheny (Wexford) 4. Allison Park

2. Easy to commute to downtown

1. Mt. Lebo 2. USC 3. NA 4. Allison

3. Easy to get rentals

1. NA 2. Allison PArk 3. Mt. Lebo 4. USC

4. Buy new homes

1. NA 2. Allison PArk 3. USC 4. Mt. Lebo

There are other requirements, but i am not getting enough information on the below

Other factors - clubs for Extra curricular activities for kids - swimming, basketball etc
Grocery stores, Shopping malls, Social life etc

Based on the above criteria

Can you please suggest me which ones to pick ? Thanks in advance - Also appreciate if you could give me feedback about Bowerhill three aparments in Mt. Lebo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2017, 07:41 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,698,423 times
If money is no object definitely Mt. Lebanon. Many areas you can walk to.

Old 04-12-2017, 07:52 AM

189 posts, read 166,168 times
Agree that Mt. Lebo ticks most of your boxes. There are other rentals in the area besides Bower Hill Three. Many houses are also rented, you would be advised to check with a realtor on this. I can't speak to your North Hills options but both USC and MTL have plenty of grocery stores and other shopping as well as lots of activities for kids and families.

RE Bower Hill Three, its a high rise building near the St. Clair Hospital. The schools are Hoover Elementary and Jefferson Middle. I'm thinking is more retired and older people but there are likely some families as well. Its in a less walkable area to the Lebo commercial districts, about 2 miles from both the Beverly Road shops and Uptown.

Old 04-12-2017, 08:16 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,030,476 times
Note that Allison Park and Wexford are not municipalities - they are the names of zip codes. You need to find out what township/school district the homes in question are in. I think all of Wexford is either in Pine-Richland or North Allegheny. Most of Allison Park is in Hampton Township (which has its own school district) but parts are in West Deer (Fox Chapel area), Shaler, or McCandless (North Allegheny again).

Last edited by eschaton; 04-12-2017 at 08:52 AM..

Old 04-12-2017, 08:51 AM

3,595 posts, read 3,393,123 times
I live in usc, the schools are unbelievable. There are more activities for kids than any other district that i know of. Mt lebo and usc are both excellent areas to raise a family. The main difference between the two communities is mt lebo has more of a city neighborhood vibe where usc has a sleepy suburb feel to it. Rentals are hard to find in usc compared to mt lebo and both are a sellers market, when buying a home you must act quickly. If you choose the south hills i would recommend using the light rail for your commute to pittsburgh until you get use to the area.

Old 04-12-2017, 05:30 PM

1,139 posts, read 2,496,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I think all of Wexford is either in Pine-Richland or North Allegheny. Most of Allison Park is in Hampton Township (which has its own school district) but parts are in West Deer (Fox Chapel area), Shaler, or McCandless (North Allegheny again).
I think Wexford falls into both Pine Township (Pine-Richland Schools) and Marshall Township (North Allegheny Schools). West Deer is in the Deer Lakes Schools.

Old 04-13-2017, 07:34 AM

I think all the above mentioned areas are expensive. I am looking for a 3 BR and looks like all these locations have a very limited 3 BR rentals and they range from 1600 - 2400

Old 04-13-2017, 07:36 AM

That is one of my worry. I dont want my kids to grow in a place where all their neighbors are adults and no friends to play with. That is the reason why, some people say that wexford and other north allegheny has young crowd and kids will have more friends to play with. Is it true?

Old 04-13-2017, 07:37 AM

South hills do you mean South Fayette? if yes, then how is South Fayette school district compared to all the other mentioned above. Do you think i should consider it as South Fayette has good 3 BR rental options and rent is also less compared to other places mentioned above

Old 04-13-2017, 07:43 AM

4,362 posts, read 6,532,538 times
I would concentrate my search with Mt Lebanon first before any others. I can not imagine a better education experience and the community that comes with it is a bonus. Easy commute, rentals - should also look at homes too. Just look there first before abandoning it and expanding the search.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh