Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2017, 08:42 AM

14,360 posts, read 16,870,700 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcider View Post
Do the old guys still play Bocce in Bloomfield? Bloomfield would be my suggestion, the Italian grocery etc. Otherwise Max's Allegheny Tavern is the most authentic (by its age, location, etc) German bar as you're likely to find.
There's still a Bocce court at the park tucked behind the Bloomfield Bridge tavern. Whether it's used I don't know.

But yeah, Bloomfield still has two Italian groceries, a bunch of Italian restaurants (even if most of them are terrible) and a number of other Italian-owned businesses. I think the Jewish influence in Squirrel Hill on Murray Avenue is a bit stronger still, but it's close.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2017, 09:16 AM

130 posts, read 121,127 times
They have a bocce tournament during little Italy days but I'm not sure if those old timers get together on the regular anymore.

It's a shame that there aren't better Italian options in terms of sit down restaurants. Groceria Italia is great for a hot take out lunch, but once Stagioni left for the South Side it left a void.

Old 04-20-2017, 12:59 PM

9,310 posts, read 12,905,441 times
In response to the sundry ethnic restaurant shoutouts: S&D Deli, Jozsa Corner, and Max's Allegheny Tavern are all credited. Bloomfield Bridge Tavern was a disappointment. I sorely miss Rosie's Pierogies. I went to their Pittsburgh Mills perimeter location, which had cafeteria-style service and a small sit-down area, for Sunday dinners. They also had a retail location in Plum, which I never went to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
There's still a Bocce court at the park tucked behind the Bloomfield Bridge tavern. Whether it's used I don't know.

But yeah, Bloomfield still has two Italian groceries, a bunch of Italian restaurants (even if most of them are terrible) and a number of other Italian-owned businesses. I think the Jewish influence in Squirrel Hill on Murray Avenue is a bit stronger still, but it's close.
Squirrel Hill feels much, much more Jewish to me than Bloomfield does Italian. Squirrel Hill is still over 40% Jewish. Bloomfield is now less than one quarter Italian and (being mindful of ACS margins of error) may no longer be the most Italian neighborhood in City limits. Squirrel Hill is also highly unique as a desirable, fourth-generation, in-city Jewish enclave that has healthy representation of Jews from all denominations, including no denomination.

Speaking of food, I used to think I disliked Pittsburgh-style Italian food (which doesn't include nouveau/gourmet places like Piccolo Forno or Lidia's, which I love) because I'd had the bad luck of eating it at places that served a bad to mediocre rendition. The best I'd probably had was La Tavola, which was a solid eh.

Then, I ate at Legends of the North Shore, which is now my favorite home-style spot (the chicken Romano being my favorite). I've heard Alla Famiglia is good, too, but haven't been.

Old 04-20-2017, 01:16 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,825,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
Speaking of food, I used to think I disliked Pittsburgh-style Italian food (which doesn't include nouveau/gourmet places like Piccolo Forno or Lidia's, which I love) because I'd had the bad luck of eating it at places that served a bad to mediocre rendition. The best I'd probably had was La Tavola, which was a solid eh.

Then, I ate at Legends of the North Shore, which is now my favorite home-style spot (the chicken Romano being my favorite). I've heard Alla Famiglia is good, too, but haven't been.
My favorite Pittsburgh-style Italian food story concerns a restaurant that, fortunately, no longer exists. It was called D'Amico's, and it was on Liberty Avenue in the heart of Pittsburgh's so-called Little Italy. The first time I ate there (1999), I asked for a bottle of San Pellegrino and was told by the waitress, "Oh, honey, we're not that kind of restaurant." "Well," I replied, "what kind of restaurant are you?" To which she responded, "Oh, let me bring you a can of Canada Dry club soda."

I only went back once, when Coupon King found a twofer in his Entertainment book. How glad I was to find Piccolo Forno not much later. And later, Lidia's. And later still, yes, Legends (courtesy of former forum member Eve Kendall). In fact, some friends took me to Legends for my birthday recently; I had chicken parm and the butter pecan cake. Thankfully, birthdays come but once a year.

Old 04-20-2017, 01:29 PM

1,577 posts, read 1,271,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
My favorite Pittsburgh-style Italian food story concerns a restaurant that, fortunately, no longer exists. It was called D'Amico's, and it was on Liberty Avenue in the heart of Pittsburgh's so-called Little Italy. The first time I ate there (1999), I asked for a bottle of San Pellegrino and was told by the waitress, "Oh, honey, we're not that kind of restaurant." "Well," I replied, "what kind of restaurant are you?" To which she responded, "Oh, let me bring you a can of Canada Dry club soda."

I only went back once, when Coupon King found a twofer in his Entertainment book. How glad I was to find Piccolo Forno not much later. And later, Lidia's. And later still, yes, Legends (courtesy of former forum member Eve Kendall). In fact, some friends took me to Legends for my birthday recently; I had chicken parm and the butter pecan cake. Thankfully, birthdays come but once a year.
make it out to cenacolo if you get the chance

Old 04-20-2017, 01:34 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,825,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul2421 View Post
make it out to cenacolo if you get the chance
This one? Sounds good. I've eaten Fede pasta in other restaurants. Thanks.

Cenacolo | Fede Artisan Pasta | North Huntingdon, PA

Old 04-20-2017, 01:39 PM

1,577 posts, read 1,271,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
This one? Sounds good. I've eaten Fede pasta in other restaurants. Thanks.

Cenacolo | Fede Artisan Pasta | North Huntingdon, PA
correct.

Old 04-20-2017, 02:10 PM

2,518 posts, read 2,072,225 times
Some years back La Prima had a scruffy small Italian man who served drinks. You had to know your order or he'd appear angry. If you got there early you may catch a group of well dressed men speaking in Italian and drinking espresso from those little cups, complete with a goon standing nearby in his matching Adidas track suit and bad toupee.

Old 04-20-2017, 04:00 PM

2,195 posts, read 2,571,741 times
There is a Russian grocery store on Murray ave in Squirrel Hill.

Old 04-23-2017, 03:53 PM

80 posts, read 83,415 times
D'Amico's in Bloomfield was awesome! I worked there for years as a waitress. It was owned by an Italian man, Frank D'Amico. All of the Italians in the neighborhood hung out at the bar drinking espresso and sambuca. There was an eccentric elderly Italian man who used to walk down Liberty Avenue who shouted "Bella! Bella!" at any woman who walked by. Bloomfield had a strong Italian community when I lived there from 2002-2004. Bloomfield might be totally Hipsterfied now, though.
I'd also suggest checking out Fredo's in Dormont Munch goes to Fredo's Deli. Greenfield also has an Eastern European/Russian grocery store.

Last edited by fjy3; 04-23-2017 at 04:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh