Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 09:24 AM

1,577 posts, read 1,282,945 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost_In_Translation View Post
That's great and all and private groups should be able to develop whatever they want, but letting older homes rot in less trendy areas (like the middle and upper hill) while subsidizing further development in hot areas further drives parts of the city down while benefiting a select few lucky families. Are the residents of Knoxville and upper hill not deserve safe housing. Why do east liberty residents deserve it?
what are the east liberty citizens benefiting from? the renters are getting kicked out. the owners took a risk and bought the property. i do agree that homeowners in other areas could benefit from the property appreciation but some would complain about that as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2017, 09:28 AM

2,277 posts, read 3,960,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul2421 View Post
what are the east liberty citizens benefiting from? the renters are getting kicked out. the owners took a risk and bought the property. i do agree that homeowners in other areas could benefit from the property appreciation but some would complain about that as well.
A few residents would get brand new low cost housing while the rest get kicked out. Some winners and a lot of losers and the middle class property owners foot the bill for the affordable housing portion because the development company wouldn't build them without kickbacks.

Old 04-25-2017, 10:39 AM

994 posts, read 901,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins2 View Post
Please show me where there is a sizable number of rentable 3 bedroom family homes near public transportation. If there were homes available they would have been rented by those in need. There are a lot of vacant homes and these homes along with others would not pass inspection.
How do you define affordable? How do you define near public transit? What kind of inspection are you talking about?

Old 04-25-2017, 10:41 AM

994 posts, read 901,027 times
Quote:
Most of those homes are not in the city of Pittsburgh. I would never move my black family to Belle Vernon, Donora, New Castle, Natrona, Tarentum, California or Sharon PA. Where in the hell would I go to church, shop, get a haircut or communicate with like minded individuals. Not to mention those communities are drug infested and are far removed from the urban job centers. I am thinking from a black perspective.
It isn't other peoples' job to provide housing where you can communicate with other like minded individuals. Perhaps if we didn't have decades of well intentioned but ultimately poorly decided affordable housing in the city, there would be more of the things you desire in those areas.

Old 04-25-2017, 10:54 AM

41,016 posts, read 18,204,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainDewGuy View Post
It isn't other peoples' job to provide housing where you can communicate with other like minded individuals. Perhaps if we didn't have decades of well intentioned but ultimately poorly decided affordable housing in the city, there would be more of the things you desire in those areas.
Exactly.

Old 04-25-2017, 11:32 AM

4,177 posts, read 2,957,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainDewGuy View Post
There are people that feel like it is their duty. The people protesting are not necessarily the people that are in need of affordable housing. This is a battle that they chose to fight. These people make it their job to be the voice of the voiceless among us. That voice lit a fire under the city government to fast track redevelopment projects. It forced city government to find the money needed to finance these projects.

Old 04-25-2017, 11:39 AM

Quote:
It forced city government to find the money needed to finance these projects.
Meanwhile our roads and sidewalks crumble, our sewers continue to degrade and spew into the rivers, our parks go unmowed and minimally kept and our police and fire departments shrink and remain under funded. I think we need more big picture thinking and less reactionary east end favoritism.

Old 04-25-2017, 11:49 AM

4,177 posts, read 2,957,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost_In_Translation View Post
Meanwhile our roads and sidewalks crumble, our sewers continue to degrade and spew into the rivers, our parks go unmowed and minimally kept and our police and fire departments shrink and remain under funded. I think we need more big picture thinking and less reactionary east end favoritism.
Our roads are better than they have ever been in my lifetime. Equity when it comes to street paving coupled with better paving materials has improved our roads. Most of the newer projects have some type of green component to mitigate the storm water runoff. Pittsburgh is in the process of developing natural storm water run off systems to prevent contamination of our rivers while Cleveland simply built a billion dollar hole in the ground. Homewood has a new storm water run off rain garden built among the ruins. Our city parks look better than ever and are well maintained.

Rosedale Runoff Reduction Project | Nine Mile Run Watershed Association

Old 04-25-2017, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Our roads are better than they have ever been in my lifetime. Equity when it comes to street paving coupled with better paving materials has improved our roads. Most of the newer projects have some type of green component to mitigate the storm water runoff. Pittsburgh is in the process of developing natural storm water run off systems to prevent contamination of our rivers while Cleveland simply built a billion dollar hole in the ground. Homewood has a new storm water run off rain garden built among the ruins. Our city parks look better than ever and are well maintained.

Rosedale Runoff Reduction Project | Nine Mile Run Watershed Association

I beg to differ. There are roads in the south hills that run by hundreds of livable houses that have dozens of potholes and that's neglecting the alleys which are practically reclaimed by nature. I know the run-off projects and while admirable, are drops in the bucket compared with the crumbling infrastructure all around the city proper. Roads are falling on housing in the south hills.

Contractor clears landslide debris in South Side Slopes | Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Old 04-25-2017, 12:31 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,543,209 times
Quote:
There are people that feel like it is their duty. The people protesting are not necessarily the people that are in need of affordable housing. This is a battle that they chose to fight. These people make it their job to be the voice of the voiceless among us. That voice lit a fire under the city government to fast track redevelopment projects. It forced city government to find the money needed to finance these projects.
AKA an astroturf movement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh