Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 12:42 PM

4,177 posts, read 2,953,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost_In_Translation View Post
I beg to differ. There are roads in the south hills that run by hundreds of livable houses that have dozens of potholes and that's neglecting the alleys which are practically reclaimed by nature. I know the run-off projects and while admirable, are drops in the bucket compared with the crumbling infrastructure all around the city proper. Roads are falling on housing in the south hills.

Contractor clears landslide debris in South Side Slopes | Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
I live in the glorious East End and the roads have never been better. Even the LED streetlights are becoming more common. South Hills to me does not equal the city proper. Are you referring to the Southside hill tops? If so those areas are a decade behind places like Larimer. Once it gets to a point of no return community groups can brain storm and come up with ideas for the blank slate. I never thought Larimer would come back but it is on its way. It is centralized and well connected to public transit and urban amenities.

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.4643...8i6656!6m1!1e1

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.4636...8i6656!6m1!1e1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2017, 12:46 PM

2,277 posts, read 3,958,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins2 View Post
I live in the glorious East End and the roads have never been better. Even the LED streetlights are becoming more common. South Hills to me does not equal the city proper. Are you referring to the Southside hill tops? If so those areas are a decade behind places like Larimer. Once it gets to a point of no return community groups can brain storm and come up with ideas for the blank slate. I never thought Larimer would come back but it is on its way. It is centralized and well connected to public transit and urban amenities.

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.4643...8i6656!6m1!1e1

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.4636...8i6656!6m1!1e1

Congratulations...your east end elitism knows no bounds...

Old 04-25-2017, 01:08 PM

969 posts, read 771,435 times
Quote:
Congratulations...your east end elitism knows no bounds...
The East End represents an outsize percentage of the city's population, land area, jobs, hospitals, universities etc. Are you really suggesting that each area gets an equal amount of attention and funding?

Old 04-25-2017, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdv8 View Post
The East End represents an outsize percentage of the city's population, land area, jobs, hospitals, universities etc. Are you really suggesting that each area gets an equal amount of attention and funding?
given that there is extra funding apparently for playing political games with housing on the east end, maybe the south hills should be considered for cash influx to improve its infrastructure and encourage investment for displaced east end tenants...or we can let the edges of Pittsburgh wither to focus on the trendy areas.

Old 04-25-2017, 01:19 PM

Quote:
given that there is extra funding apparently for playing political games with housing on the east end, maybe the south hills should be considered for cash influx to improve its infrastructure and encourage investment for displaced east end tenants...or we can let the edges of Pittsburgh wither to focus on the trendy areas.
Homewood, Larimer, and most of Garfield are far from trendy. These communities along with the Hill District and Bloomfield have individuals that are heavily invested in the communities and work hard to address complex issues. This did not happen overnight.

Old 04-25-2017, 01:26 PM

969 posts, read 771,435 times
Quote:
I agree completely. Neglected areas need focus, but calling people East End elitists because we are engaged is goofy. Like Mr. wpipkins keeps saying, it takes community involvement and organized voices and the East End groups have done that.

Old 04-25-2017, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins2 View Post
Homewood, Larimer, and most of Garfield are far from trendy. These communities along with the Hill District and Bloomfield have individuals that are heavily invested in the communities and work hard to address complex issues. This did not happen overnight.
This whole topic started with talking about east liberty and penn plaza. You've pivoted to general affordable housing in these areas when apparently your argument about the poor people in East Liberty got shot down. As long as the city is not favoring development in one area over another to the detriment of truly affordable areas, the PPP's can do whatever development they want, but I see lots of city hall dollars pouring into the google uber areas and neglecting the less interesting residential areas because they are being squeaky wheels about redevelopment. It's a short sighted view that will perpetuate long term issues in the city.

Old 04-25-2017, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdv8 View Post
I agree completely. Neglected areas need focus, but calling people East End elitists because we are engaged is goofy. Like Mr. wpipkins keeps saying, it takes community involvement and organized voices and the East End groups have done that.
Specifically I called pipkin elitism because he said he didn't consider the southern hilltop city proper and appeared very dismissive of the issues there.

Old 04-25-2017, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Specifically I called pipkin elitism because he said he didn't consider the southern hilltop city proper and appeared very dismissive of the issues there.
You referred to the Southside hill top communities as the South Hills. The South Hills are south of the city proper. Mt. Lebanon and Upper Saint Clair are the south hills. Smoke and mirrors?

Old 04-25-2017, 01:53 PM

41,018 posts, read 18,186,657 times
Quote:
This whole topic started with talking about east liberty and penn plaza. You've pivoted to general affordable housing in these areas when apparently your argument about the poor people in East Liberty got shot down. As long as the city is not favoring development in one area over another to the detriment of truly affordable areas, the PPP's can do whatever development they want, but I see lots of city hall dollars pouring into the google uber areas and neglecting the less interesting residential areas because they are being squeaky wheels about redevelopment. It's a short sighted view that will perpetuate long term issues in the city.
Could always raise the taxes in that area to help the situation. After all, if more money is being used there and those voices are so concerned, the same residents shouldn't have issue with giving more to help the situation/s they have issue/s with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh