Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2017, 11:37 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,022,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkTransplant View Post
It's interesting that this is the same developer that is supposedly doing that renovation too, but I haven't seen much activity since last Fall. There were some news articles about a plan to make the bank into a brewpub, but change happens slowly on the Northside...

Priory owner plans brewpub and event space for historic East Deutschtown bank - NEXTpittsburgh
Building permits went out for the new-construction hotel portion earlier back in January. Thus I think we'll start seeing more activity here relatively soon, provided the financing is together.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2017, 09:12 AM

I checked this week's zoning report, and look what I found...

Quote:
Date of Hearing: May 25,2017
Time of Hearing: 10:20
Zone Case 204 of 2017

512-514 E Ohio St

Zoning District: LNC
Ward: 23
Council District: 1, Councilperson Darlene Harris
Neighborhood: East Allegheny
Applicant: Robert Baumbach
Owner: October Real Estate Holdings LLC

Renovation of existing building with addition for use as restaurant (general) with 3 dwelling units above and renovation of existing buildings in the rear for use as 3 apartments. Use of side lot as accessory structures and uses for the restaurant.
So, there you have it. 512/514 East Ohio are to be merged, with the first floor containing a restaurant, which will presumably have some outdoor seating in the "alley" to the right. Above there will be three apartment units, and they plan to use both of the existing buildings for three units of apartments as well.

All this, of course, is presuming it gets past zoning. If you have time on May 25th maybe you should head down to the hearing to find out more.

Old 05-08-2017, 01:53 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,598,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post

So, there you have it. 512/514 East Ohio are to be merged, with the first floor containing a restaurant, which will presumably have some outdoor seating in the "alley" to the right. Above there will be three apartment units, and they plan to use both of the existing buildings for three units of apartments as well.

All this, of course, is presuming it gets past zoning. If you have time on May 25th maybe you should head down to the hearing to find out more.
Awesome, thank you! Very glad Bob is listed as the applicant, as he's quite active in preservation around here and I'm a fan of his work -- I might indeed try to show up to the hearing if I can...

Old 05-09-2017, 03:56 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,600,575 times
Quote:
Ah, the old Spaghetti Warehouse will be a new brewpub, too. Interesting.

Back on topic, I really think Deutschtown is LONG overdue for a major development growth spurt. Most of the rest of the Lower North Side, Downtown, and the Strip are very expensive in terms of residential pricing, and it only makes sense for those areas to push their gentrification into Deutschtown.

Old 05-09-2017, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Back on topic, I really think Deutschtown is LONG overdue for a major development growth spurt. Most of the rest of the Lower North Side, Downtown, and the Strip are very expensive in terms of residential pricing, and it only makes sense for those areas to push their gentrification into Deutschtown.
It's pretty much already happened west of 279. The residential streets south of East Ohio are 99% filled in now (I think there's one vacant lot). The area north is rapidly filling in as well. And there's some real development activity happening in East Deutschtown now.

Streetviews of various infill houses. Many of them are difficult to discern from street level.

Avery Street
More Avery Street
Foreland (ugly/modern)
Suismon
More Suismon - and a new house being constructed as the shot was taken across the street if you pan
Tripoli (the yellow house is infill, shockingly)
James Street
More James Street

Old 05-09-2017, 09:53 PM

If anyone here is interested in East Deutschtown development -- there's going to be an Open House with Mr. Renovation soon; I believe it's Sunday 5/21 from 12-5pm but am still looking for confirmation. Kaffeehaus on Chestnut Street will be open for a preview, and several of the properties that they are working on will be open, including old houses that have been fixed up and also some new construction (I believe the "Tannery" buildings that just went up on Spring Garden Ave will be open.) I'll post an update on a new thread if/when I have more info.

But yes, this area is changing fast...

Old 05-10-2017, 08:54 PM

106 posts, read 218,275 times
Quote:

I heard it's going to be a higher-end pizza joint, e.g. wood fired. 514 looks to be largely demo-d and will open into courtyard seating. Hope it gets approved.

Old 05-11-2017, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baconlegs View Post
I heard it's going to be a higher-end pizza joint, e.g. wood fired. 514 looks to be largely demo-d and will open into courtyard seating. Hope it gets approved.
That's interesting, especially because there's going to be another snazzy pizza place going in on Federal Ave in between the Crazy Mocha and the Carnegie Library, by El Burro and Nana's. (Something that already exists in Mt Lebo and is adding a Northside location -- anyone know the name?) Two new pizza places within a one-mile radius is great for this neighborhood, since both E Ohio and Federal could use more options.

Old 05-11-2017, 09:16 PM

106 posts, read 218,275 times
Per the guys at Slice, it's Apizza Badamo, sorta NYC style. I think the eastO joint will be more in the Napolitano mold. Either way, I'm getting fatter

Old 05-11-2017, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baconlegs View Post
Per the guys at Slice, it's Apizza Badamo, sorta NYC style. I think the eastO joint will be more in the Napolitano mold. Either way, I'm getting fatter
Excellent -- nice to think the two will be different kinds of pizza, so the Northside will have both options. And yes, it's going to be pretty tempting to eat a lot more pizza once they both open up...I am a big Driftwood fan myself, and it's probably for the best that I can't always just indulge in their pizza, given that they are a food truck and usually not within walking distance from my place
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh