Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2017, 11:41 PM

115 posts, read 98,980 times

Advertisements

This is good dirt. Cant wait for some pizza places up that way.

Fwiw- northside leadership council purchased that dump bar cuz (gardenview) because of all the riffraff, and members of the church being involved/sick of the incidents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2017, 11:18 AM

1,701 posts, read 1,586,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brother_rebus View Post
Fwiw- northside leadership council purchased that dump bar cuz (gardenview) because of all the riffraff, and members of the church being involved/sick of the incidents.
Interesting -- do you mean Schrim's Garden café, or something else? This article caught my eye 18 months ago, but nothing seems to be happening...well, a few of those old bars are being renovated I guess, but it seems to be going pretty slowly...would love an update if anyone knows more.

Beyond bar food on East Ohio Street on the North Side | Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Old 06-15-2017, 10:41 AM

14,360 posts, read 16,858,085 times
Bumping for a sad update. I noticed today that the Northside Leadership Conference has put in for a demolition permit for 510 East Ohio Street on the 12th. So while the other buildings in this cluster will be salvaged, this one will almost certainly be lost, absent a community intervention.

Perhaps the only silver lining is given they own the other vacant lots, it will result in a rectangular empty parcel which is roughly 32.5 feet by 110 feet, which is a reasonable size for market-rate infill when conditions improve further in the neighborhood.

Old 06-15-2017, 11:03 AM

Ugh. Thanks, eschaton. It's medium-sad...I mean, I wish they could tear down some of the truly ugly postwar buildings on the street instead, but at least 510 E Ohio isn't one of the truly spectacular Victorians either, but rather "typical" or "average" for the neighborhood. I'm not happy to see it go by any means, but I would be far, far more upset if we were talking about something like 503 E Ohio instead (current home of Main Office Loans), or the empty building next to it (in between the loan shark and the Goodwill) where the barbershop used to be.

Which other vacant lot do you mean? Is there any chance the little garden in between 510 and Arnolds would just expand into the footprint of the demolition and become something like a parklet?

Old 06-15-2017, 11:13 AM

14,360 posts, read 16,858,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkTransplant View Post
Which other vacant lot do you mean? Is there any chance the little garden in between 510 and Arnolds would just expand into the footprint of the demolition and become something like a parklet?
That parklet is what I'm referring to. It's not a true parklet - it's owned by the Northside Leadership Conference, meaning I'm presuming the landscaping is just beautification to make a vacant lot look better in the short to medium term. It's already been expanded once, when the alley houses on Emlin Street were knocked down around five years ago. I'm sure they'll just add the land from 510 East Ohio to the parklet. In the longer run, it could stay open space or be sold to a developer.

Interestingly, looking at old streetviews, 510 East Ohio Street was occupied by some sort of bar/restaurant as recently as ten years ago. It must have been in pretty terrible shape even then if only ten years of vacancy was enough to render it unsalvageable.

Old 06-15-2017, 11:22 AM

Oh, okay, that makes sense. The wrought iron gate with the sign "Deutschtown Blumengarden" made me think it was something more permanent/official, because someone must have invested something to put that sign up.

I get the feeling East Ohio used to have a lot more dive bars...I can't exactly say I regret that they are being replaced by more family-friendly spaces like Arnold's Tea, but still a part of me does wish I had come to Pittsburgh earlier and seen it for myself, especially when I was ten or twenty years younger and much more likely to actually go out and enjoy dive bars.

Old 06-15-2017, 12:53 PM

2,518 posts, read 2,070,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkTransplant View Post
Oh, okay, that makes sense. The wrought iron gate with the sign "Deutschtown Blumengarden" made me think it was something more permanent/official, because someone must have invested something to put that sign up.

I get the feeling East Ohio used to have a lot more dive bars...I can't exactly say I regret that they are being replaced by more family-friendly spaces like Arnold's Tea, but still a part of me does wish I had come to Pittsburgh earlier and seen it for myself, especially when I was ten or twenty years younger and much more likely to actually go out and enjoy dive bars.
Eh, they weren't the kind of dive bars you'd go to unless you were from the area or looking to buy drugs. E. Ohio street was a completely different scene not even 20 years ago.

Old 06-15-2017, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcider View Post
Eh, they weren't the kind of dive bars you'd go to unless you were from the area or looking to buy drugs. E. Ohio street was a completely different scene not even 20 years ago.
Yeah...the part of me that would have wanted to check it out wasn't exactly the most responsible part, or the smartest.

Old 06-15-2017, 01:01 PM

3,733 posts, read 5,928,590 times
It's changed a lot. I lived on Avery St. from 1988 to 99 and there was a nuisance bar on the corner of E. Ohio and Middle whose patrons were always causing trouble. For perspective, there were some new people who had moved to Avery from Brooklyn and Baltimore who felt like they were living in the suburbs (kind of).

Old 06-15-2017, 01:09 PM

Amazing...I love Avery street now, but I bet it has changed a lot...

By the way, as long as we're here -- looks like October development is finally moving ahead with the renovation of some brick homes along Middle Street, in between Suismon and Foreland. The old Pfennig's laundry place at the corner of Foreland and Middle Street is going to be torn down, but I think the rest of the block (near Northside Christian Healthcare) will be saved. It's a great move, because the block of Middle in between Suismon and Tripoli is one of the best in Deutschtown, and given that a house listed for $415k on Suismon is already under contract, I think these row houses will also be prime real estate. Not sure if they will be sold or rented, but my guess is sold. (Eschaton, do you happen to know more?)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh