Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2017, 08:43 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,962,857 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
This is good advice. There are a handful of right-wing inner suburbs (Shaler, Whitehall) but for the most part every municipality that borders the city at least leans slightly left.

Haven't found a 2016 map by municipality, but here is 2012.

2016 map would look very different. Clinton overperformed Obama in rich areas, which is to be expected. She won Sewickley and Edgeworth. I'm pretty sure she won Fox Chapel and Oakmont. On the other hand, she did a lot worse in some of the rural backwoodsy parts of the county than Obama did.
She also did a lot worse in the new money suburbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2017, 09:03 AM

1,524 posts, read 1,312,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
This is good advice. There are a handful of right-wing inner suburbs (Shaler, Whitehall) but for the most part every municipality that borders the city at least leans slightly left.

Haven't found a 2016 map by municipality, but here is 2012.

2016 map would look very different. Clinton overperformed Obama in rich areas, which is to be expected. She won Sewickley and Edgeworth. I'm pretty sure she won Fox Chapel and Oakmont. On the other hand, she did a lot worse in some of the rural backwoodsy parts of the county than Obama did.
Thanks! That's exactly what I was looking for. And, wow, the north hills is red. This was an election that Obama won by 4 points. Once you're up in Wexford...as might as well be in Kentucky!

Old 05-15-2017, 09:09 AM

1,577 posts, read 1,282,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGH423 View Post
Thanks! That's exactly what I was looking for. And, wow, the north hills is red. This was an election that Obama won by 4 points. Once you're up in Wexford...as might as well be in Kentucky!
i mean most are still at least 35% the opposite party....not really the stark contrast people paint on here...let alone the fact the social and political views aren't always in line.

Old 05-15-2017, 10:30 AM

2,860 posts, read 1,900,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGH423 View Post
Once you're up in Wexford...as might as well be in Kentucky!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul2421 View Post
i mean most are still at least 35% the opposite party....not really the stark contrast people paint on here...let alone the fact the social and political views aren't always in line.
Absolutely. The suburbs are much more nuanced and diverse than many people, on this subforum particularly, give them credit for. Yes, there are Republican majorities. But the split is much more even than in the city. Looking around at results by precinct from Shaler, 2016 was an especially close Presidential race. In many of the Shaler precincts that Trump won, he didn't even top 50%.

Contrast this with some of the precincts in the City of Pittsburgh. 75 and 85% for Clinton were quite common to see. I saw one precinct that had 95% for Clinton.
If Wexford might as well be in Kentucky, then some spots of the City may as well be in Caracas.

Its so incredibly ironic to see the suburbs painted as intolerant, homogenic area with no diversity... when the data tells a rather different story.

Old 05-15-2017, 10:35 AM

41,016 posts, read 18,204,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyovan4 View Post
Absolutely. The suburbs are much more nuanced and diverse than many people, on this subforum particularly, give them credit for. Yes, there are Republican majorities. But the split is much more even than in the city. Looking around at results by precinct from Shaler, 2016 was an especially close Presidential race. In many of the Shaler precincts that Trump won, he didn't even top 50%.

Contrast this with some of the precincts in the City of Pittsburgh. 75 and 85% for Clinton were quite common to see. I saw one precinct that had 95% for Clinton.
If Wexford might as well be in Kentucky, then some spots of the City may as well be in Caracas.

Its so incredibly ironic to see the suburbs painted as intolerant, homogenic area with no diversity... when the data tells a rather different story.
Those painting that picture of the burbs obviously spend little to no time in them. I'd wager many of them never leave the city.

I still can't imagine anyone randomly engaging anyone about their political or religious views, especially ones neighbors. I couldn't care less what my neighbors think about either. However, no matter where you live, talking about politics and/or religion will mostly always cause an argument.

Old 05-15-2017, 10:44 AM

61 posts, read 71,019 times
There's always nuance to data- it's never the whole story, only a piece of the puzzle, but a helpful one to consider. For example, while I wouldn't paint all suburbs as intolerant, many people on this forum have expressed pretty dire views of urban neighborhoods, pointing to safety concerns, as if they're a war zone. Having lived in such a neighborhood for some time, I can say those fears are somewhat unwarranted, but I would never disparage someone for not wanting to live in a grittier neighborhood. Everyone has their own priorities, in terms of what's important to them in the place they call home. In terms of diversity, I can see socio-economic diversity & diversity of views in the suburbs, but they're clearly not racially diverse when the percentage of non-white people is less than 20%, so if that's important to someone, the suburbs make less sense. Everything's a tradeoff.

Old 05-15-2017, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Those painting that picture of the burbs obviously spend little to no time in them. I'd wager many of them never leave the city.

I still can't imagine anyone randomly engaging anyone about their political or religious views, especially ones neighbors. I couldn't care less what my neighbors think about either. However, no matter where you live, talking about politics and/or religion will mostly always cause an argument.
It may not be the norm there, but I am coming from a place where politics and social views are discussed pretty regularly. It is possible for people to disagree with someone else's views without being disrespectful.

Old 05-15-2017, 10:58 AM

1,701 posts, read 1,599,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daoise View Post
It may not be the norm there, but I am coming from a place where politics and social views are discussed pretty regularly. It is possible for people to disagree with someone else's views without being disrespectful.
I think you're looking for a neighborhood with what I might call 'street culture' -- the sort of place where people sit outside and talk to their neighbors pretty regularly -- and that's a big part of why I think you're a good fit for the city. Pittsburgh has a spectrum of city neighborhoods; some feel more "urban" than others, and some are actually like suburbs within the city, which surprised us at first. The lower Northside is the closest we have found to the urban neighborhood we had in Rogers Park in Chicago, which is a big part of why we're so happy here.

Old 05-15-2017, 11:03 AM

977 posts, read 567,485 times
OP,

If you truly do value diversity, then perhaps you should practice it yourself by trying to see the issues through the eyes of others. I know you said you don't want to debate issues politically, but you do seem to imply that those who disagree with certain of your stances are intolerable to you. Try to be tolerant of those people. Just to take one example, you claim that a pro-life person is intolerable to you. However, realize that the person who holds that view may not necessarily do so because he or she (and yes there are plenty of pro-life women) truly believes that life begins at conception, that this life deserves protection, and that those who have abortions truly are committing murder. It may well have nothing to do with control of a woman's body and everything to do with protecting children.

Consider that it is currently perfectly legal for a mother to carry a child for 9 months, actually go into labor, and just before the baby's head exits the birth canal, kill the child. Certainly there are people who are horrified by such an action and whose horror does not have one thing to do with controlling that woman's body, but rather by the fact that this is basically committing an act that if done literally a few seconds later, would be horrific to any sane human. Maybe just realize that these issues are not entirely black and white, that reasonable people can disagree about them, and that someone who does in fact disagree with you may well still be someone who is worthy of getting to know and even befriending.

Old 05-15-2017, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stremba View Post
OP,

If you truly do value diversity, then perhaps you should practice it yourself by trying to see the issues through the eyes of others. I know you said you don't want to debate issues politically, but you do seem to imply that those who disagree with certain of your stances are intolerable to you. Try to be tolerant of those people. Just to take one example, you claim that a pro-life person is intolerable to you. However, realize that the person who holds that view may not necessarily do so because he or she (and yes there are plenty of pro-life women) truly believes that life begins at conception, that this life deserves protection, and that those who have abortions truly are committing murder. It may well have nothing to do with control of a woman's body and everything to do with protecting children.

Consider that it is currently perfectly legal for a mother to carry a child for 9 months, actually go into labor, and just before the baby's head exits the birth canal, kill the child. Certainly there are people who are horrified by such an action and whose horror does not have one thing to do with controlling that woman's body, but rather by the fact that this is basically committing an act that if done literally a few seconds later, would be horrific to any sane human. Maybe just realize that these issues are not entirely black and white, that reasonable people can disagree about them, and that someone who does in fact disagree with you may well still be someone who is worthy of getting to know and even befriending.
If you actually read what I wrote, you would have seen that I believe it's a personal issue and not one anyone has any business dictating for another person. I would tolerate someone being pro-life. I won't tolerate someone insisting their personal choice in the matter should be everyone's choice.

It is completely false that is legal to abort a fetus at 9 months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh