Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2017, 12:45 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,598,215 times

Advertisements

As long as you're going out to Bellevue, you might as well push up to Sewickley if you can. You can get to Crafton really quickly from the North side FWIW -- just cut across the West End Bridge and avoid 376.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2017, 01:07 PM

1,524 posts, read 1,309,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul2421 View Post
i mean most are still at least 35% the opposite party....not really the stark contrast people paint on here...let alone the fact the social and political views aren't always in line.
That's true of 99% of the country - it isn't the stark contrast that's portrayed. Even Kentucky was 60/40 (a little more moderate than most of Wexford).

Old 05-15-2017, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daoise View Post
Thanks, everyone. This is really helpful. It'll ultimately boil down to what's available when I visit, but it sounds like some good potential choices would be:

North side (Mexican War Streets/Central North Side/Manchester)
Dormont
Mt Lebanon
Westview
Bellevue
Possibly Aspinwall/nearby areas

Crafton and Ingram have also been mentioned. I have 3 days to try to cover everywhere- both to look at houses and spend some time hanging out in coffee shops and walking around (if possible). I've already explored the East End pretty extensively during past visits.
That's an OK start but you should think about what area of Pittsburgh you want to be in. A lot of the places you've identified are the ones shaded blue in that map - they may have gotten like 52% Dem votes, whereas nearby places might have gotten 48%. I don't know anyone who would look at West View but wouldn't consider Ross or Shaler, for example. If I wanted to live in that general area just north of the city limits, I'd just pick whichever house I liked most.

Old 05-15-2017, 01:31 PM

61 posts, read 70,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGH423 View Post
That's an OK start but you should think about what area of Pittsburgh you want to be in. A lot of the places you've identified are the ones shaded blue in that map - they may have gotten like 52% Dem votes, whereas nearby places might have gotten 48%. I don't know anyone who would look at West View but wouldn't consider Ross or Shaler, for example. If I wanted to live in that general area just north of the city limits, I'd just pick whichever house I liked most.
It's hard, because I do have limited time, but I'll look at houses in the general areas mentioned, as best as I'm able to. For each, I'll need to look at a number of factors, such as ease of commute for my husband to a co-working space and the airport, proximity to autism service providers (I believe there are several hubs spread out among the areas), & school district services (sometimes smaller districts don't have their own providers and send kids to other districts for special education, depending on their needs). Our ideal place would also be urban, preferably walkable to a variety of stores, restaurants, and public spaces. We may not be able to figure out the best place (or find a house there) for the long term without living there for a bit, so there will be trade-offs to make and possibly a second move in the future, if the first spot isn't ideal.

Old 05-15-2017, 01:37 PM

1,577 posts, read 1,282,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daoise View Post
It's hard, because I do have limited time, but I'll look at houses in the general areas mentioned, as best as I'm able to. For each, I'll need to look at a number of factors, such as ease of commute for my husband to a co-working space and the airport, proximity to autism service providers (I believe there are several hubs spread out among the areas), & school district services (sometimes smaller districts don't have their own providers and send kids to other districts for special education, depending on their needs). Our ideal place would also be urban, preferably walkable to a variety of stores, restaurants, and public spaces. We may not be able to figure out the best place (or find a house there) for the long term without living there for a bit, so there will be trade-offs to make and possibly a second move in the future, if the first spot isn't ideal.
Best of luck in your search. I think everyone means the best on this forum. You seem to have a pretty good idea of what you want and should be able to narrow it down quickly! I am guessing you will have to compromise on the walkable part but will gain on the fabulous resources for your children

Old 05-15-2017, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul2421 View Post
Best of luck in your search. I think everyone means the best on this forum. You seem to have a pretty good idea of what you want and should be able to narrow it down quickly! I am guessing you will have to compromise on the walkable part but will gain on the fabulous resources for your children
Agreed. It's hard finding a home. I'm going through the same. I'm sure she'll have to compromise somewhere. The north hills is what I'm most familiar with. It most likely won't be as walkable or liberal as she wants but it's still a great area IMO.

Old 05-15-2017, 09:41 PM

3,298 posts, read 3,887,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fat lou View Post
Well, I don't get it. I'm damn conservative and I live in Lawrenceville. It isn't crushing my soul.

But here's something curious: no one has mentioned Penn Hills or Monroeville as possible places to live. Those are the most racially diverse suburbs, and don't liberals love racial diversity? In fact, all of the places recommended so far are as white as Iceland.
Amen. The same rich hipster neighborhoods are recommended on every thread. I see the pattern too. We have 100+ municipalities in this county and the same ones come up every time.

Old 05-15-2017, 09:59 PM

12,529 posts, read 17,536,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I experienced discrimination based upon my sexual orientation when I was growing up in rural PA, and, as such, I won't consider living in a socially conservative neighborhood today where I'd be risking a fist-fight with half the neighborhood if my same-sex mate and I walked hand-in-hand down the street.
Good point. I'd like to think you could walk down the street holding hands anywhere in the area, but that's probably not the case. But I do think you can find homophobes anywhere, rich or poor, black or white, suburban or urban.(had to throw that last one in)

Old 05-15-2017, 10:08 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,598,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
Amen. The same rich hipster neighborhoods are recommended on every thread. I see the pattern too. We have 100+ municipalities in this county and the same ones come up every time.
Please, tell me which neighborhoods that haven't been mentioned on this thread best fit the OP's needs. Not what you like, but what the OP has stated they are looking for. Not telling the OP to "open their mind" or change what they want -- not trying to get the OP to be more like you -- but actually making a suggestion that fits what the OP has described. I would love to know. I would love just one positive recommendation from you, without throwing shade at anyone, just being a friendly neighbor and telling us all how you would like to help the OP with your insights.

Old 05-15-2017, 10:12 PM

41,018 posts, read 18,189,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
Good point. I'd like to think you could walk down the street holding hands anywhere in the area, but that's probably not the case. But I do think you can find homophobes anywhere, rich or poor, black or white, suburban or urban.(had to throw that last one in)
Bingo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh