Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2017, 03:38 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,614,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky329 View Post
if your white yes.. but young black people are killed all the time there and nobody ever gets caught and the media forgets about it the next day... If somebody was murdered in Mt. Lebanon TONS of media and TONS of cops.. Get real man
The reason why there's so much more publicity about a murder in Mt. Lebanon (or Squirrel Hill, or Fox Chapel for that matter) is because it's such a RARE occurrence. Meanwhile there are numerous homicides annually in Homewood---sometimes numerous murders per month. It's called being desensitized. "Murder in Homewood" on the 6 PM news isn't going to elicit much shock to anyone, really, which is why the media doesn't provide it with as much attention. There has to be some sort of aura of intrigue around a case in order for the media to go into a frenzy. The Hill District, for example, hasn't had many homicides at all over the span of the past two years or so (maybe two), so even if there's a murder in the Hill District nowadays it will catch people's attention.

Less media coverage doesn't mean the police care any less about solving a case, though. I'd challenge you to prove to me that a detective cares any less about a case (s)he's working in Homewood than a case (s)he's working in a more affluent neighborhood like Lawrenceville or the Mexican War Streets. Do you have any insider information to substantiate this assertion, or are you just espousing popular anti-police sentiment based upon racial and socioeconomic lines? If you're going to point out the lower homicide clearance rate in neighborhoods like Homewood vs. more affluent neighborhoods also bear in mind that witnesses tend to be more forthcoming in these more affluent neighborhoods.

Last edited by SteelCityRising; 05-16-2017 at 04:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2017, 04:25 PM

1,440 posts, read 4,417,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
"Murder in Homewood" on the 6 PM news isn't going to elicit much shock to anyone, really, which is why the media doesn't provide it with as much attention.
Have to agree with this. Every morning it seems KDKA radio mentions another shooting/murder in Homewood or similarly distressed neighborhoods. This is usually right after a lead story involving a sports score and just before traffic and weather. And that's the end.

Old 05-16-2017, 04:30 PM

325 posts, read 323,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazzwell View Post
Have to agree with this. Every morning it seems KDKA radio mentions another shooting/murder in Homewood or similarly distressed neighborhoods. This is usually right after a lead story involving a sports score and just before traffic and weather. And that's the end.
exactly, I am a realist.. and some people need to wake up and realize that "SOME black lives matter" and people in Homewood aren't it.. when more attention is paid to a crime it attracts more cops, better detectives etc.. Have you ever watched the wire..?

Old 05-16-2017, 07:52 PM

697 posts, read 778,153 times
Thanks, for the info, Eshaton.

We like the Wheel Mill on Hamilton.
I've been wanting to go to Everyday Cafe, the coffee shop that opened a few months ago.
My friend from Point Breeze likes the hardware shop; said the guy who usually is there is awesome.
I've always been a fan of Love Front Porch. Awesome community resource. Feel free to donate!

Old 05-16-2017, 09:33 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,973,648 times
Quote:
if your white yes.. but young black people are killed all the time there and nobody ever gets caught and the media forgets about it the next day... If somebody was murdered in Mt. Lebanon TONS of media and TONS of cops.. Get real man
It has NOTHING to do with police! I am so tired of this crap! It is all about neighborhood cooperate with police and people do NOT cooperate because of fear. There have been countless articles about this. White people come forward and want justice. It is what it is, but stop making crap up. If a neighborhood doesn't care, then don't expect others to.

Old 05-17-2017, 07:36 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,697,252 times
Quote:
Probably a true statement. The Pittsburgh Marathon runs through Homewood and I suspect that's the only time many of us visit there. A really cool record shop is there and of course, you're really close when you visit the East End Food Coop for overpriced organics. The Mayor needs to focus on this neighborhood a bit more than the East End bike laners.

Old 05-17-2017, 08:22 AM

271 posts, read 332,106 times
I take my dogs to the Golden Bone Pet Resort for day care and boarding, which is technically in Homewood West (it's on the corner of Fifth and Hamilton). Highly recommended for pup care.

Old 05-17-2017, 08:38 AM

325 posts, read 323,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
It has NOTHING to do with police! I am so tired of this crap! It is all about neighborhood cooperate with police and people do NOT cooperate because of fear. There have been countless articles about this. White people come forward and want justice. It is what it is, but stop making crap up. If a neighborhood doesn't care, then don't expect others to.

dumb

go to carrick and see if that statement is true

Old 05-17-2017, 04:23 PM

912 posts, read 1,732,687 times
Showcase BBQ on Frankstown Ave is the best BBQ I've had in Pittsburgh.

Old 05-17-2017, 05:31 PM

2,109 posts, read 2,159,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYO View Post
Showcase BBQ on Frankstown Ave is the best BBQ I've had in Pittsburgh.
What style of BBQ is it? I've had a lot of trouble finding good Texas-style brisket. I may give this a try.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh