Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2017, 08:53 AM

4,768 posts, read 5,439,118 times

Advertisements

I drove from Myrtle Beach to Buffalo, New York Niagara Falls. I was blown away at many hills and tree Pittsburgh had. I didn't go to Downtown Pittsburgh, but I thought it was neat from the areas I did see. Pennsylvania is just flat out beautiful with so many mountains.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2017, 09:57 AM

6,358 posts, read 5,053,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwarrior View Post
I drove from Myrtle Beach to Buffalo, New York Niagara Falls. I was blown away at many hills and tree Pittsburgh had. I didn't go to Downtown Pittsburgh, but I thought it was neat from the areas I did see. Pennsylvania is just flat out beautiful with so many mountains.
A relative from Calgary said the same when she visited here a few years ago!

Old 05-23-2017, 11:18 AM

140 posts, read 166,173 times
Glad to hear that you enjoyed passing through . Pittsburgh is very hilly & allows for some super cool statistics:

Pittsburgh has over 700 sets of city-owned stairs! These stairs contain 44,645 risers, which accounts for 24,108 vertical feet according to their wikipedia page:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steps_of_Pittsburgh

Climbing all of these stairs would be like:
-Taking the stairs to the top floor of the US Steel tower 28.665 times
-Taking the stairs to the top floor of the Sears Tower 17.8 times
-Taking the stairs to the top floor of the Empire State Building 19.69 times
-Taking the stairs to the top floor of the Burj Khalifa 12.569 times

Unfortunately, Pittsburgh still needs to invest in 4921 vertical feet of stairs (8436 risers) to meet the height of mt Everest. Mayor Peduto, if you're reading this, I want to climb Pittsburgh's mt Everest!! Please make more stairs!!!

Also,
Pittsburgh has one of the steepest streets in the world (if not THE steepest street!).. This street is called Canton Avenue:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canton_Avenue

Last edited by BMan_152; 05-23-2017 at 11:32 AM..

Old 05-23-2017, 12:30 PM

130 posts, read 122,523 times
Speaking of stairs...I have always wondered why there isn't more community investment in some of the hundreds of sets of stairs we have. It would be so cool to have something similar to the mosaic steps in San Francisco (16th Ave Tiled Steps Project - San Francisco). Even just simple things like maintaining interesting landscaping around the steps would be a cool project to undertake. So many public stairs, even in nice areas, tend to be overgrown and covered in litter/graffiti. These steps are one of the assets Pittsburgh has that makes it a unique place--it would be a really great thing to invest in and showcase.

Old 05-23-2017, 12:42 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,979,609 times
Most of our public stairs are basically abandoned. I've had to skip over crumbling steps, duck under a fallen tree, avoid weeds growing up through them, and trust my balance due to hand rails that have collapsed.

Old 05-23-2017, 12:43 PM

1,653 posts, read 1,585,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust Belt Kid View Post
Speaking of stairs...I have always wondered why there isn't more community investment in some of the hundreds of sets of stairs we have. It would be so cool to have something similar to the mosaic steps in San Francisco (16th Ave Tiled Steps Project - San Francisco). Even just simple things like maintaining interesting landscaping around the steps would be a cool project to undertake. So many public stairs, even in nice areas, tend to be overgrown and covered in litter/graffiti. These steps are one of the assets Pittsburgh has that makes it a unique place--it would be a really great thing to invest in and showcase.
Oakley Street Mosaic Steps Public Art Project | South Side Slopes Neighborhood Association

But it's good to remember, when you ask "Why doesn't the community do something about this?", you are part of the community. Some time back, someone asked why the City didn't do anything about step maintenance, I posted a link to a volunteer project to assess step condition.
This is over now, but roll up your sleeves, there's plenty of work to go around.

Old 05-23-2017, 01:29 PM

4,362 posts, read 6,531,023 times
I used to use several sets of city steps. Mostly they were in useable condition but once in a while, like any road, the go into a state of disrepair or become over grown by fast growing weeds and plants.

They are a wonderful item to have in a neighborhood such as South Side Slopes and even Mt Washington. I regularly used the Steps rising from 10th Street up to Hartford Street. I would continue through and across the 10th street bridge and through the Armstrong tunnels to get to work.

Now it's a distant memory to me... I hope those steps don't become that.

Old 05-23-2017, 09:38 PM

1,705 posts, read 1,388,881 times
What you missed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBAn9BwqYyw

Old 05-24-2017, 04:42 AM

6,358 posts, read 5,053,234 times
oh wait...this lovebombing - acceptable with this forum's protocol? Or are those people gone and we CAN discuss something positive that we do appreciate????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh