Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2017, 04:56 AM

6,358 posts, read 5,055,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost_In_Translation View Post
. More than likely it means a/c, New fixtures (like dishwashers, washer/dryers in unit and stainless steel appliances) and upgraded flooring and electrical/internet/cable.

Renters are much less willing to accept more basic units nowadays.
Well, people are pansies anymore. Washing dishes is somehow lowbrow and shameful.

Old 06-02-2017, 06:05 AM

2,277 posts, read 3,960,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
Well, people are pansies anymore. Washing dishes is somehow lowbrow and shameful.
Ha, seriously, we were just fine living in thatch huts, sleeping on straw with all the other creatures of the world, today's youth are soft i tells ya!

Old 06-02-2017, 06:33 AM

969 posts, read 772,376 times
Quote:
It's just stupid to do something by hand you can have a machine do, as long as you can afford the machine.

Or maybe you were just joking?

Old 06-02-2017, 06:45 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,030,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xdv8 View Post
It's just stupid to do something by hand you can have a machine do, as long as you can afford the machine.

Or maybe you were just joking?
I'm guessing they were joking. But the average young, single person really doesn't need a dishwasher, when you consider that probably half of their meals are eaten out, and many seldom have company over to eat unless it's a significant other.

When I was say 25 I only had four of everything. Four plates, four bowls, four glasses, four sets of forks/knives/spoons, etc. The reason being that since I had so little of everything it gave me incentive to handwash my dishes and put them away within 1-2 days of being used, tops. I literally did not have enough stuff to fill up a dishwasher - it would have been a waste to use one. Though I know they have those micro dishwashers now for tiny apartments.

Old 06-02-2017, 09:55 AM

147 posts, read 182,889 times
Quote:
That doesnt even make sense. If we have appliances and tech to make our lives more easier and comfortable then I'm using them.

I dont have a dishwasher myself, but I use paper and plastic.

If I owned a home I would be buying a lot of expensive gear to make my life as comfortable as possible.

Old 06-02-2017, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost_In_Translation View Post
. More than likely it means a/c, New fixtures (like dishwashers, washer/dryers in unit and stainless steel appliances) and upgraded flooring and electrical/internet/cable.

Renters are much less willing to accept more basic units nowadays.
So "upscale" to you means updating living conditions that are on par with most other middle class Americans.

I have none of the above but I can see why someone would prefer central A/C here. It's hard to find rental properties that have it and if they do its usually over a $1k a month.

Frankly spending anywhere near $1k a month to rent is crazy.

Old 06-02-2017, 10:09 AM

6,358 posts, read 5,055,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strelok View Post
That doesnt even make sense. If we have appliances and tech to make our lives more easier and comfortable then I'm using them.

If I owned a home I would be buying a lot of expensive gear to make my life as comfortable as possible.
It makes sense! There is something good, humble, and personal about doing SOME work to care for your abode. I think dishwashers are so annoying - they are loud, they smell, and would make me lazy. I actually have one, and use it so rarely. I know I'm weird that way.

Old 06-02-2017, 10:25 AM

1,577 posts, read 1,283,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strelok View Post

you use paper and plastic but say spending $1k to rent is outrageous? okay....

Old 06-02-2017, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul2421 View Post
you use paper and plastic but say spending $1k to rent is outrageous? okay....
Paper and plastic in bulk is incredibly cheap, and there aint no scrubbing involved.

I prefer to be as lazy as possible.

Old 06-02-2017, 11:29 AM

969 posts, read 772,376 times
Quote:
It makes sense! There is something good, humble, and personal about doing SOME work to care for your abode. I think dishwashers are so annoying - they are loud, they smell, and would make me lazy. I actually have one, and use it so rarely. I know I'm weird that way.
Not to argue, but in case you were unaware not all dishwashers are loud and smell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh