Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 07:35 PM

8 posts, read 24,342 times

Advertisements

Can anyone recommend a good area (or street/intersection areas) within Mt. Lebanon that would be good area for my family of 4 (2 kids between ages of 4 and 7)? We're considering homes between the price of $250-$400. Currently we live in a neighborhood in MD with hardly any kids on our street, no sidewalks, very steep and narrow roads, and lots of heavy trees that are no good to be around when there is heavy wind, ice, or snow. We want a neighborhood that has children out and and about and not stuck in their homes playing videos all day long like many do here. Basically, we're looking for a more active lifestyle and Mt. Leb. seems to offer what we're looking for in terms of a more urban, family oriented neighborhood. Thanks for any feedback!

Last edited by springerjump; 03-09-2008 at 07:37 PM.. Reason: Changed title
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2008, 02:14 AM

3,131 posts, read 9,371,085 times
I don't think any of us are that familiar with Mt. Lebanon that we could recommend a street like you want. Why don't you visit and drive around and look or ask a realtor from that area?

Old 03-11-2008, 06:46 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,003,811 times
I don't know too much about Mt. Lebanon, but part of the lack of response may be there aren't many (or perhaps any) notable parts of it which don't fit your requirements.

Old 03-11-2008, 07:34 AM

269 posts, read 1,010,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springerjump View Post
Can anyone recommend a good area (or street/intersection areas) within Mt. Lebanon that would be good area for my family of 4 (2 kids between ages of 4 and 7)? We're considering homes between the price of $250-$400. Currently we live in a neighborhood in MD with hardly any kids on our street, no sidewalks, very steep and narrow roads, and lots of heavy trees that are no good to be around when there is heavy wind, ice, or snow. We want a neighborhood that has children out and and about and not stuck in their homes playing videos all day long like many do here. Basically, we're looking for a more active lifestyle and Mt. Leb. seems to offer what we're looking for in terms of a more urban, family oriented neighborhood. Thanks for any feedback!
Beverly Heights. Elementary school is in the neighborhood, so no need to walk on major roads to school. Streets include Crescent, Inglewood, Markham, Longuevue, Woodhaven, Seneca and a few others. The streets are tree lined and there are sidewalks. I would suggest LongueVue if you can spend $350-$400, as you will never want to move again if you do.

Old 03-11-2008, 08:50 AM

8 posts, read 24,342 times
Default Thanks!!!

Thanks everyone for your feedback. This is such an awesome site with wonderful forums. My husband and I are planning our annual trip to Kennywood. We are including time to drive around and consider neighborhoods. Funny, our potential realtor has an Aunt who sells real estate in USC. Small world it is indeed.

Old 03-11-2008, 09:27 AM

35 posts, read 159,848 times
I live in Mt. Lebanon and there will be many places that fit your description. Mt. Lebanon is definitely a walking neighborhood. Kids walk to school and to lunch. People are always out walking dogs and jogging … even in the freezing cold. Look at the streets near Morrison and Newburn. I know they fit your description but there are many others.

Old 03-12-2008, 09:31 AM

3,041 posts, read 11,883,491 times
Go a bit futher down rt 19 to Peter's Township. Many ex-mt Leboites move there because they want a bigger house lower taxes and still excellent schools. It's got TONs of kids and great activties and amenties as well.

Old 03-12-2008, 11:23 AM

269 posts, read 1,010,251 times
I agree with 5stones. Most people look at Lebo, decide they cannot get the house that they want, and then go to Peters.

If you can find the house and tax payment you want in Lebo, go for it. It's location is better if you need to go downtown. But if you work in the South, Peters is probably best.

Old 03-12-2008, 12:19 PM

487 posts, read 1,379,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by right-here-i-say View Post
I agree with 5stones. Most people look at Lebo, decide they cannot get the house that they want, and then go to Peters.

If you can find the house and tax payment you want in Lebo, go for it. It's location is better if you need to go downtown. But if you work in the South, Peters is probably best.
What is the housing like in Peter's Twp? Older (mid-century & back) homes like in Mt. Lebo? Or newer, suburban homes? Or some of each? Thanks.

Old 03-12-2008, 12:33 PM

3,041 posts, read 11,883,491 times
it has both. Older neighborhoods have nice redone homes that were built in the 50-60's.
Then there are few newish ones built in the 90's still with the big lots. Then you have alot of new building going on with smaller lots.

We liked it when we moved there because it was zoned for 1/2 acre and above lots. But times change and builders come in and bring money. So now you can have smaller lots with "open spaces" that are new. (and still building)

Peter's is very much suburbian. It doesn't have the "town feel" of Mt lebo. I love MT lebo the architecture etc...it is beautiful. But for our young family we found what we needed an affordable house on a big lot (with trees and yard) in an EXCELLENT school district with lower taxes.

SO, no it doesn't have the Charm of Mt lebo at all.

look up the houses on realtor.com zip is 15317 Peters township or Mcmurray and Venetia 15367 (?) I believe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh