Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2017, 04:14 PM

2,947 posts, read 5,191,791 times

Advertisements

Just wondering if 93.7 The Fan is now the leafing local sports station in Pittsburgh?

It's been on the air 5-7 years now, at least? Any major competitor?

What was that station previously, a music station? What was/were the leading sports radio options before that?

Is 105.7 FM a sports station, or music and general talk also?
I know Mike Madden is on that station but I can't access it on the TuneIn app. Should I try the radio.com or iheartrafio apps or just the website itself?

Just looking fir Penguins talk on your local radio after your latest Stanley Cup win last night.

Who's the most knowledgeable or respected radio/tv personality on hockey and/or the Pens? Mike Madden? Mike Lange? Maybe local boy Steve Mears will be (who left NHL Network to work Pens TV on Root next year).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2017, 06:04 PM

3,298 posts, read 3,891,781 times
93.7 is the absolute worst sports radio station. The announcers spend most of their time talking about themselves and insulting the few callers they let on the radio live. Every once in awhile they will get around to discussing a game. I listen to 970 but mainly stream sports stations from Ohio and Philly.

105.9 is music and sports (penguins). 102.5 is music and sports (steelers).

Old 06-13-2017, 12:17 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,747,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
Just wondering if 93.7 The Fan is now the leafing local sports station in Pittsburgh?

It's been on the air 5-7 years now, at least? Any major competitor?

What was that station previously, a music station? What was/were the leading sports radio options before that?

Is 105.7 FM a sports station, or music and general talk also?
I know Mike Madden is on that station but I can't access it on the TuneIn app. Should I try the radio.com or iheartrafio apps or just the website itself?

Just looking fir Penguins talk on your local radio after your latest Stanley Cup win last night.

Who's the most knowledgeable or respected radio/tv personality on hockey and/or the Pens? Mike Madden? Mike Lange? Maybe local boy Steve Mears will be (who left NHL Network to work Pens TV on Root next year).
There are two Sports Talk radio stations in Pittsburgh, and 93.7 The Fan (KDKA, 93.7 FM) is the runaway ratings leader. It's owned by CBS Radio, so it's a CBS Sports affiliate, and its average Arbitron rating over the last four months is in the low 5's. It's the flagship station for the Pittsburgh Pirates Radio Network, though, so there won't be any Penguins talk in the evenings if the Pirates are playing. Your best bets to tune in would be during the morning, midday and afternoon drive time slots. The other Sports Talk station is ESPN Pittsburgh (WBGG, AM 970 / W292DH, 106.3 FM), which barely moves the needle, with Arbitron ratings near zero. ESPN barely covers the NHL in the first place, so there's probably no point in listening to them.

As for The X at 105.9 (WXDX, 105.9 FM, Alternative), it airs Mark Madden during the afternoon drive time slot, and his show is a combination of music and sports talk. It works well for branding too, because Mark Madden is an ardent Penguins fan, and The X is the flagship station for the Pittsburgh Penguins Radio Network. The station is owned by iHeartMedia, as are the ESPN Radio affiliates I mentioned above, and also WDVE (102.5 FM, Classic Rock), which is the flagship station for the Pittsburgh Steelers Radio Network. There is no program dedicated strictly to sports talk on WDVE, though. Ratings for The X have averaged in the high 3's over the last four months, and WDVE battles it out with 3WS (WWSW, 94.5 FM, Classic Hits) and 96.1 Kiss FM (WKST, 96.1 FM, Top 40) for ratings supremacy.

Speaking of Kiss FM, The Morning Freak Show with Mikey and Big Bob uploaded two live segments of their show to YouTube yesterday, during which they read several irate diatribes posted by fans of the Predators and other NHL teams on Facebook. If you like Schadenfreude, then you'll probably enjoy them.

Anyway, I hope this helps, because there's no point in listening to Sports Talk stations in Ohio or Philadelphia for Penguins talk, as somebody else recommended. Your best bet for focused Penguins talk is probably Mark Madden during the afternoon drive on The X.

Old 06-13-2017, 04:44 AM

6,358 posts, read 5,055,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post

Mark Madden is the best for Steelers and Penguins coverage and analysis. Sorry, I think his abusing the callers is entertaining. He's a miserable lout, OK, but his insight is poignant and interesting - aspects that would not occur to me. That is probably all schtick, anyway.

Old 06-13-2017, 06:16 AM

4,362 posts, read 6,532,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
Mark Madden is the best for Steelers and Penguins coverage and analysis. Sorry, I think his abusing the callers is entertaining. He's a miserable lout, OK, but his insight is poignant and interesting - aspects that would not occur to me. That is probably all schtick, anyway.
Madden is a tool, that he still is paid to work on air says a lot about Pgh sports radio. Seriously lacking.

Old 06-13-2017, 07:10 AM

41,016 posts, read 18,207,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slamont61 View Post
Madden is a tool, that he still is paid to work on air says a lot about Pgh sports radio. Seriously lacking.
His ratings dominate over the Fan. Few fans, especially Pirates fans want to hear the truth about their team when it's not positive. While I barely listen to any local sports talk, it's extremely hard to believe the Fan is still on the air other than broadcasting Pirates games.

Old 06-13-2017, 02:04 PM

4,362 posts, read 6,532,538 times
Dominate = No Competition.

Blame whom ever you want, Madden is not that good and would fail in most markets.

Old 06-13-2017, 02:08 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,207,721 times
Quote:

Blame whom ever you want, Madden is not that good and would fail in most markets.
Only if you consider The Fan, no competition.

So would most every local sports media figures here, but your complaint with Madden sounds more personal than business.

Old 06-13-2017, 02:10 PM

325 posts, read 323,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
93.7 is the absolute worst sports radio station. The announcers spend most of their time talking about themselves and insulting the few callers they let on the radio live. Every once in awhile they will get around to discussing a game. I listen to 970 but mainly stream sports stations from Ohio and Philly.

105.9 is music and sports (penguins). 102.5 is music and sports (steelers).
uhhh wrong.. I love the fan.. and its the FIRST and ONLY all sports all the time fm radio station.. put some RESPECK on the Fans name!

Old 06-13-2017, 07:48 PM

6,358 posts, read 5,055,067 times
Quote:

That's a subjective call, lamont! I think he IS good. He has kept my interest in sports when it has waned, actually. Like a lot of media, I have a limit to which I can listen to - and at this time of year (post-NHL, pre-NFL), I probably won't tune in until the day after the Steelers opener, but I enjoy Madden and think he is pretty good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh