Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2017, 07:33 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,154,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky329 View Post
I was just talking about how the south side is tanking for some reason.. tons of houses for sale for cheaper than they sold for 10 years ago and businesses closing left and right... the businesses I would add to the works are... Home Depot(wish there was space), chick Fila, a big nightclub/lounge with actual metal detectors like big cities, Apple Store, and a hooters would be a awesome start
I think the bars might be a big part of it. A lot of people do not like dealing with that neighborhood and getting around there, especially on the weekends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2017, 07:37 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,698,423 times
Overdevelopment. Allowing developers to shape and mold our historic city. Other failures doomed to occur if this administration goes unchecked.

Old 06-21-2017, 07:41 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,030,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
I'm certainly not an expert on development and market trends but I have been questioning all of the retail being placed in East Liberty for years. It seems like every ground floor of apartment developments has included retail despite plenty of storefronts already for lease.
My understanding is financing is easier to get for these new apartments if you include ground floor retail.

Anyway, it is getting better. I think East Liberty Place North only has one vacant storefront now, although East Liberty Place South is still totally vacant. The Walnut at Penn building now has two active stores, and it looks like they're rapidly fitting out the rest. Eastside Bond has a bank and a AT&T store, along with that frogurt place which should open up soon. I don't think there's any plans to add more retail space soon, unless LG's plan for the Penn Plaza site goes through (I noticed they just started demoing the second building this morning). But with what happened to Whole Foods, who knows if they would be interested in moving now?

Quote:
I think the bars might be a big part of it. A lot of people do not like dealing with that neighborhood and getting around there, especially on the weekends.
I don't think that's it, because the business district was doing much better say 7-10 years ago when the nightlife was at its peak. I think it's a combination of NIMBYs putting in parking zones which essentially cover all residential back streets (making it hard to park to shop during the day, and impossible for people who work in South Side to find parking) and the neighborhood being eclipsed by Lawrenceville in so many ways.

Old 06-21-2017, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalewskimm View Post
Overdevelopment. Allowing developers to shape and mold our historic city. Other failures doomed to occur if this administration goes unchecked.
What? You realize the South Side Works was mostly developed over a decade ago and replace a mill which had been abandoned for a long time, right? SSW has its issues but it is way better than the nothing that was there before.

Last edited by bradjl2009; 06-21-2017 at 07:57 AM..

Old 06-21-2017, 07:51 AM

3,110 posts, read 2,917,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
My understanding is financing is easier to get for these new apartments if you include ground floor retail.

Anyway, it is getting better. I think East Liberty Place North only has one vacant storefront now, although East Liberty Place South is still totally vacant. The Walnut at Penn building now has two active stores, and it looks like they're rapidly fitting out the rest. Eastside Bond has a bank and a AT&T store, along with that frogurt place which should open up soon. I don't think there's any plans to add more retail space soon, unless LG's plan for the Penn Plaza site goes through (I noticed they just started demoing the second building this morning). But with what happened to Whole Foods, who knows if they would be interested in moving now?

I don't think that's it, because the business district was doing much better say 7-10 years ago when the nightlife was at its peak. I think it's a combination of NIMBYs putting in parking zones which essentially cover all residential back streets (making it hard to park to shop during the day, and impossible for people who work in South Side to find parking) and the neighborhood being eclipsed by Lawrenceville in so many ways.

I believe Bonobos is open, or about to open, in the Walnut building, and I think Warby Parker is opening up somewhere in East Liberty. So that retail is filling out with unique to Pgh shops.

My personal take on South Side and its lack of appeal is the bars. It is not so much the bars themselves, but the crap that comes with them. The parking issue, the people, and the mess. I am at the age where I could comfortably afford a nice house in South Side, but who wants to deal with that when you have so many other options in the city. If I don't want to go out for an evening in a neighborhood, why would I want to live there? I don't want to have to shelter in place Thursday thru Sunday every week.

Old 06-21-2017, 07:54 AM

Quote:

It is good to hear the neighborhood is getting better. My criticism of East Liberty in recent years was that it did seem to feel a little empty at times in the commercial areas. With the decline in retail, I think we are getting to the point where what we think of for ground floor development might need to change pretty soon.

Quote:
Is it really that hard to find parking there during the day now? I still occasionally go there during the weekend in the evening and I don't have much of an issue finding spots on Carson (though you do have to pay until midnight though for them).

Old 06-21-2017, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
My personal take on South Side and its lack of appeal is the bars. It is not so much the bars themselves, but the crap that comes with them. The parking issue, the people, and the mess. I am at the age where I could comfortably afford a nice house in South Side, but who wants to deal with that when you have so many other options in the city. If I don't want to go out for an evening in a neighborhood, why would I want to live there? I don't want to have to shelter in place Thursday thru Sunday every week.
This is becoming an issue in parts of Lawrenceville as well. Some streets are pretty hard to find a spot on during the weekends though the smaller side streets people don't usually think of still tend to have spots.

Old 06-21-2017, 08:00 AM

29,745 posts, read 34,389,499 times
Quote:
"Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded."

Just a few years ago when my sisters would visit, we often went to the South Side Works after having brunch on Carson st. somewhere, then we'd go to H&M and Urban Outfitters (and the bookstore)--RIP to all of that.

Old 06-21-2017, 08:04 AM

325 posts, read 323,139 times
Quote:
I'm always shocked there's not a Mad Mex in South Side.

Hell, I'm shocked there's not one in Downtown or Lawrenceville yet either. The Shadyside one is always packed.
The reason y is because the one in Oakland is so close to hot metal

Old 06-21-2017, 08:06 AM

325 posts, read 323,139 times
Quote:

this is an opinion... but I respect your opinion.. from a person like yourself that knows Lawrenceville well what gives it the edge in your opinion.. because I don't see it really
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh