Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2017, 09:29 AM

12,529 posts, read 17,530,226 times

Advertisements

Definitely see a need for bicycle repairmen in the future, per Bicycle Bill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2017, 11:18 AM

2,277 posts, read 3,958,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
I've never heard this term used on a macro level. It makes sense for a personal budget, but not for comparing one person's salary to another's. The location, size, and condition of your housing is a choice. I am not richer than my coworkers because I live in a cheap house, I'm just spending my wages differently than them.
I assume that is talking about inflation of various housing markets. An equivalent $1k apt in another town rose 3% more than Pittsburgh, thus affecting relative wages. If you didn't have to spend the money on housing, you could spent it on something else. I agree that as an absolute measure it doesn't matter, but maybe on a relative scale it does?

Old 06-28-2017, 12:24 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,970,959 times
Post-rent comparisons between cities makes sense. But comparing post-rent wages between knowledge-workers and blue collar workers within Pittsburgh doesn't make sense to me.

Old 06-28-2017, 01:44 PM

2,277 posts, read 3,958,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
Post-rent comparisons between cities makes sense. But comparing post-rent wages between knowledge-workers and blue collar workers within Pittsburgh doesn't make sense to me.
Maybe its the wording, but I thought they were comparing city to city not blue-collar to white collar. Sorry, its confusing.

Old 06-28-2017, 02:12 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,665,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
Perhaps we should we look into basic incomes for people in certain sets of industries that are no longer needed?
Like buggy-whip makers? I thought the idea was that one type of work replaces another. People have been talking about the evils of "automation" since the 1960s, at least. Probably since the industrial revolution, really. Right now, unemployment is very low; in some states it's at an all time low.

Old 06-28-2017, 04:38 PM

6,357 posts, read 5,047,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Like buggy-whip makers? I thought the idea was that one type of work replaces another. People have been talking about the evils of "automation" since the 1960s, at least. Probably since the industrial revolution, really. Right now, unemployment is very low; in some states it's at an all time low.
You're right. I think what is happening is a residual of what was the once great United States. No more can you fly by the seat of your pants, party as a kid, then finally shape up and make a comfortable life for yourself. Those days are long gone, but the expectations for quality of life are not.

that statement (paraphrased) comes from a older friend who was in his 20s in the 1970s. he notices, and is probably right, that competition and struggle start at a very early age. with good reason - fewer and fewer crumbs of the economic pie.

this parallels what ive said on this forum before...there are too many people having too many kids who are or will be competing for too few decent jobs that are not in high demand or not specific to a technical or natural science field of study.

this is why i am very uncomfortable with the great emphasis on academic sports, especially at early high school age, and for less economically advantaged inner city kids. i think that has been changing, thankfully, with more recognition of scholarly pursuits.

Old 06-28-2017, 04:43 PM

3,110 posts, read 2,913,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Not that I disagree with what you said, as I feel like people should have some plans for their future and some general understanding of the state of the world and the impacts it could have on those plans, but how many buggy-whip makers were there when we stopped needing buggy-whips? I would imagine there is a greater proportion of workers that are finding themselves without a path forward today than there ever were buggy-whip makers.

Old 06-28-2017, 05:25 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,665,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
Not that I disagree with what you said, as I feel like people should have some plans for their future and some general understanding of the state of the world and the impacts it could have on those plans, but how many buggy-whip makers were there when we stopped needing buggy-whips? I would imagine there is a greater proportion of workers that are finding themselves without a path forward today than there ever were buggy-whip makers.
I was just giving an example. "Buggy whips" is a commonly used term for stuff that is obsolete. Only 2% of people farm any more, whereas 100 years ago 27% were farming.
https://www.agclassroom.org/gan/time...rmers_land.htm

Old 06-28-2017, 08:02 PM

12,529 posts, read 17,530,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
You're right. I think what is happening is a residual of what was the once great United States. No more can you fly by the seat of your pants, party as a kid, then finally shape up and make a comfortable life for yourself. Those days are long gone, but the expectations for quality of life are not.

that statement (paraphrased) comes from a older friend who was in his 20s in the 1970s. he notices, and is probably right, that competition and struggle start at a very early age. with good reason - fewer and fewer crumbs of the economic pie.

I agree with your friend, that definitely applied to me. Got out of college in the mid-70's during a mild recession. Took a labor job at US Steel in the Monroeville Research Lab starting at 12K with every benefit you can think of. Even got a bonus 120 bucks for taking my vacation in April, Spring Break, Baby!

$12,000.00 in 1974 had the same buying power as $62,709.61 in 2017
Annual inflation over this period was about 3.92%

Try finding a job like that today as a laborer basically just cleaning up after people, not gonna happen. The steel industry is never coming back to what it once was, automation will see to that.

Old 06-29-2017, 05:07 AM

6,357 posts, read 5,047,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post

Try finding a job like that today as a laborer basically just cleaning up after people, not gonna happen. The steel industry is never coming back to what it once was, automation will see to that.

Well, there are other reasons besides automation...other parts of the world caught up, developed formidable middle classes, and have made it economical to have foreign companies invest in their labor markets. Generally speaking.

Automation is our friend, though. So is birth control.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh