Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2017, 08:16 AM

1,701 posts, read 1,598,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
You get out what you put in, if it's a waste, it's on you.
Yes. The question of how to pay for it is really tricky -- it depends on what resources are available to the student -- but there are still ways to keep the cost down and to parlay the degree into a good job.

For what it's worth, some of my very best students at Pitt are transfers from CCAC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2017, 08:24 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,367,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkTransplant View Post
Yes. The question of how to pay for it is really tricky -- it depends on what resources are available to the student -- but there are still ways to keep the cost down and to parlay the degree into a good job.

For what it's worth, some of my very best students at Pitt are transfers from CCAC.
A bit off topic, but there were a few posts this summer on my neighborhood message boards that really surprised me, from college students who had just graduated asking if anyone had a job for them and would like to see their resumes. So, here are a handful of young people with the wherewithal to finish school, but from the looks of it it never occurred to them to network, intern, volunteer, and use university resources all during their time on campus to put them in a good place to find a job. That's not the economy, necessarily, that's a lack of preparation.

Old 07-10-2017, 08:25 AM

3,110 posts, read 2,916,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
College is a waste in Pittsburgh unless a student is going to enter the healthcare field. Almost everyone I have met in Pittsburgh, outside of healthcare, is working in a position that they did not use their degree to obtain. To tie this back to the topic of the thread, Erie is going downhill because the city only has eds, meds, and tourism as the economic base. So yes, it matters when high paying jobs leave the city limits.
This just goes to show that some people don’t get degrees that align with job opportunities. They get degrees on what they hope to be someday, with no real plan or idea if that is even possible.

Old 07-10-2017, 08:36 AM

1,577 posts, read 1,282,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
This just goes to show that some people don’t get degrees that align with job opportunities. They get degrees on what they hope to be someday, with no real plan or idea if that is even possible.
obviously there is personal responsibility but shouldn't a schooling system have the best interest of the students finding jobs and not making money? why do they have degrees without jobs?

Old 07-10-2017, 08:39 AM

3,298 posts, read 3,888,515 times
It just shows what a scam college is for most. It is an antiquated governmental system. There is no reason why we can't streamline the system. Majors could be completed within 2 years. Half the college classes don't have anything to do with an individual's major. Paying $500+ for a worthless elective? Permanent employment for professors? Universities that accept over 90% of applicants? 46% of students graduate? There are better opportunities out there than getting into debt because of social stigmas.

Old 07-10-2017, 08:42 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,367,163 times
Quote:
It just shows what a scam college is for most. It is an antiquated governmental system. There is no reason why we can't streamline the system. Majors could be completed within 2 years. Half the college classes don't have anything to do with an individual's major. Paying $500+ for a worthless elective? Permanent employment for professors? Universities that accept over 90% of applicants? 46% of students graduate? There are better opportunities out there than getting into debt because of social stigmas.
It might be an antiquated system, and the student debt situation is a huge problem, but that leaves out the fact that education is valuable in itself. A university is not a trade school. Yes, many people probably don't necessarily need to go to college, but learning and expanding your knowledge is never pointless.

Old 07-10-2017, 08:56 AM

3,298 posts, read 3,888,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
It might be an antiquated system, and the student debt situation is a huge problem, but that leaves out the fact that education is valuable in itself. A university is not a trade school. Yes, many people probably don't necessarily need to go to college, but learning and expanding your knowledge is never pointless.
It's not pre-2005. Computers have changed the world. Physical libraries have almost become useless. Kids have instant access to knowledge with the ability to download books to kindles, googling topics on cell phones, and streaming educational programs or classes online. If someone isn't well-rounded, then it is their own fault they don't take the effort to educate themselves.

There are plenty of jobs in Pittsburgh but people have to start thinking outside of the box and stop listening to what the educational system is preaching.

Old 07-10-2017, 09:22 AM

3,110 posts, read 2,916,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul2421 View Post
obviously there is personal responsibility but shouldn't a schooling system have the best interest of the students finding jobs and not making money? why do they have degrees without jobs?
The school systems do not control the economy, or what jobs are being produced. The primary goal of that school is to produce an individual that is well educated in the subject the student chose. The best interest of the student, from the schools perspective, is providing that education in the subject the student chose.

As to why they have degrees that don’t have current jobs, I believe there are some people that are interested in learning. I dual majored in undergrad in economics and history. History alone wouldn’t have landed me a job, so I had to supplement it, but I truly love history so I should be able to learn about it. l

Universities are not career prep centers. If you do not want an education that expands beyond what you do on a day to day basis at your job, then don’t attend a university. Now there is an issue with jobs that don’t truly need a degree requiring them, but that again is not the university’s responsibility. But perhaps these companies want someone that is well rounded and educated in more than just knowledge of the job they will be doing.

Old 07-10-2017, 10:50 AM

1,701 posts, read 1,598,432 times
For what it's worth, I have a huge range of students -- some are very career oriented and come to office hours starting as freshmen to help work on their resume and get internships, etc etc. Faculty spend tons of time volunteering to help students find opportunities -- there are weeks in the Fall that I spend more hours writing letters of recommendation than I do prepping for class! Of course we also have many other students that don't put in this kind of time and effort...but there's only so much we can do, especially when the same students wo never talk to us about careers are usually the same ones who don't show up to class.

Old 07-10-2017, 10:52 AM

2,860 posts, read 1,899,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prnlvsxy View Post
That doesn't solve the traffic problem, but I'll look into that. Where in the Hill do you park?
Dinwiddie or Colwell

Quote:
The general education requirements need a serious reorganization. Ridiculous for students to be required to spend time taking things utterly unrelated to their major.
I was a History major and minored in Political Science. I wasted time, and limited money, having to take courses such as astronomy, meteorology, and mathematics to fulfill general education requirements.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh