Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2017, 11:52 PM

5,005 posts, read 5,594,804 times

Advertisements

Going to be in Pittsburgh next Sunday.

First question: One of the big aspects of Pittsburgh I am looking forward to exploring is the terrain. Of course, doing the Duquesne Incline strikes me as a must, but what other ways could I check it out? I was thinking about driving thru the Fort Pitt tunnel into downtown also (even if not coming that way), driving up (or walking up, if parking is nearby) Canton Avenue, and perhaps doing several flights of steps. Of course, I also noticed in pictures though, that some of the more impressive ones are from the many dense houses on the hilltops of the South Side Slopes area. The photographs of the masses of houses on hillsides there is stunning. Is there anywhere one could view that effectively (including in South Side Slopes area itself?)

Second question: While in town, we are planning on checking out a Pirates game. So, I was curious about the parking situation, on a summer Sunday. Is it possible to find a parking garage downtown charging <$10? I was hoping to park somewhat close to Market Square, explore downtown for a little bit (perhaps take in some cool architecture and grab a bite to eat), then head across the Roberto Clemente for first pitch. Is it possible to find that anywhere? Any specific recommendations?

Thanks all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2017, 05:35 AM

130 posts, read 121,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
Going to be in Pittsburgh next Sunday.

First question: One of the big aspects of Pittsburgh I am looking forward to exploring is the terrain. Of course, doing the Duquesne Incline strikes me as a must, but what other ways could I check it out? I was thinking about driving thru the Fort Pitt tunnel into downtown also (even if not coming that way), driving up (or walking up, if parking is nearby) Canton Avenue, and perhaps doing several flights of steps. Of course, I also noticed in pictures though, that some of the more impressive ones are from the many dense houses on the hilltops of the South Side Slopes area. The photographs of the masses of houses on hillsides there is stunning. Is there anywhere one could view that effectively (including in South Side Slopes area itself?)

Second question: While in town, we are planning on checking out a Pirates game. So, I was curious about the parking situation, on a summer Sunday. Is it possible to find a parking garage downtown charging <$10? I was hoping to park somewhat close to Market Square, explore downtown for a little bit (perhaps take in some cool architecture and grab a bite to eat), then head across the Roberto Clemente for first pitch. Is it possible to find that anywhere? Any specific recommendations?

Thanks all!
There are several suggested routes for walking tours of the south side slopes. There are a lot of different options. One of the more unique sights would be talking a look at the stair mosaic at 27th and Josephine.

The North Side has some good terrain, as well. Maybe consider driving up Rialto to Troy Hill and getting a coffee at Pear and the Pickle.

Street parking is free on Sunday. If it were me I'd just drive around downtown and find a spot (usually doesn't take me very long). From any point downtown you're not really looking at longer than a 10 minute walk to the Clemente Bridge. Finding a <$10 garage spot shouldn't be hard downtown, though.

Old 07-10-2017, 09:10 AM

1,701 posts, read 1,587,748 times
I'm not sure if driving through the Fort Pitt tunnel is a great use of time unless you really love tunnels. The view is pretty cool, especially if you zoom through late at night and see the city all lit up, but depending on your timing it can get really backed up if there is any amount of traffic. Your plan to explore the Southside slopes and Market Square makes more sense to me.

Pear and the Pickle is a nice recommendation if you want to see the North side, though be warned that the drive up Rialto is very steep -- just something to be aware of if you don't entirely trust your brakes. Depending on your idea of cool architecture you might check out Penn Brewery and the old Heinz Factory close by. Another nice area is the restaurants along Western Ave, which are a little quieter than downtown and have great brunch options. It's not a bad walk from Western Ave (say, Benjamin's burger bar) to the Pirates stadium, and the campus at CCAC has surprisingly great architecture -- they have taken over some gorgeous old mansions. There's also a very nice HH Richardson church in this area (Emmanuel Episcopal church) -- not as splashy as Allegheny Courthouse, but still worth a look if you are a fan of historic bricks from the late 1800s.

Old 07-10-2017, 09:14 AM

271 posts, read 329,845 times
Garage parking downtown on the weekends is $5 (this is the usual evening/weekend flat rate). The only exception on game day are the garages at Ft. Duquesne and Sixth and Ninth and Penn.

If you want to explore Market Square beforehand, one good option is the Third Avenue garage (PPA | Third Avenue Garage). This will put you on the back side of Market Square, and you can walk straight through Market Square, onto Sixth street and across the Clemente bridge. Then, you can hop on the Parkway fairly easily after the game.

Old 07-10-2017, 09:23 AM

6,597 posts, read 8,916,294 times
I'd definitely hit the North Side if terrain is your primary interest.

Start with Troy Hill to get a feel for some of the crazy compact residential areas we have.

From there head up East Street to get to my favorite bit of winding hilly road to drive in Pittsburgh:
Milroy Street between East Street and Perrysville Avenue.

From there it's a very quick drive up Perrysville to get to Riverview Park, which would be worth it even if all you do is stay in your car and drive the main loop, but if you want to get out and hike the trails you can really get a good feel for the regional terrain. Lots of hills and small creeks/run-offs.

I agree that the Ft. Pitt tunnel view isn't really necessary, especially if you're going to do the incline, but if you're heading to Canton Avenue you'll wind up going through the tunnel anyway.

Old 07-10-2017, 09:51 AM

3,704 posts, read 2,636,756 times
Being a lover of hills, I suggest:

Rialto Street to Troy Hill - check out come of the cemeteries in Troy Hill for even greater views
Spring Hill - there's another cemetery up there with the best view of downtown
West End Overlook

At the west end circle there's a back way up to Duquesne Heights that leads to Mt. Washington .. don;t know the name of the road

Southside Slopes - there's a little baseball field off Arlington Avenue near the fire station. Park your car and have a picnic with a great view.

Brighton Heights

Possibilities are endless...have fun.

Old 07-10-2017, 09:58 AM

4,692 posts, read 8,988,628 times
As others suggested, Troy Hill and Spring Hill have great views (North Side). Also check out the Fineview overlook.

Old 07-11-2017, 04:05 PM

2,195 posts, read 2,572,366 times
You could get up close and personal with the terrain by taking a hike in Frick Park. Falls Ravine trail is gorgeous and Riverview trail gives some really great vistas. The AllTrails app will help you find your way around.

Old 07-11-2017, 05:00 PM

2,860 posts, read 1,878,274 times
1. Go to Duquesne University. The University has a pedestrian bridge going from campus, crossing over the Boulevard of the Allies, and then going down stairs to the 10th St Bridge/Armstrong Tunnels.
The bridge is in front of #42 in the bottom right corner of the map.

This will give you a nice view (across the Mon and the 10th St Bridge) of the South Side Flats and Slopes. Probably the best vantage point for what you're asking for.

2. On the South Side, go from Carson St to the end of S 15th St (drive away from the river and towards the hill). The road dead-ends, there is a church and an old Polish school (red brick). At the end of the street is a pedestrian bridge crossing the railroad tracks - you have to go up about 3 flights of stairs from street level to get to the bridge level. This will give you a nice view of the Flats and also of Downtown and Uptown (the neighborhood where Duquesne is).

Old 07-12-2017, 12:27 PM

Location: Just East of the Southern Portion of the Western Part of PA
1,272 posts, read 3,692,796 times
The parks on Mt. Washington have some nice trails that perfectly fit your needs:

Books, Adventure and Life: A Short Hike in Emerald Park (The George and Guy Loop)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh