Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2017, 04:12 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times

Advertisements

He's got a lot of competition.

http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign...-trump-in-2020
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2017, 04:23 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,879,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcider View Post
Good point. Yes it was there long before the suburbs learned of it from Marty Grifffin
The homeless population on the northside (& other areas) has certainly very visibly grown as have the issues associated that such a population brings. I believe the main criticism of the mayor besides the burgeoning homeless numbers itself is the general feeling that he's fine with it so long as it's not an issue in say Point Breeze.

I don't think he's the 'worst mayor ever' but he's also not a particularly good one thus far as his actual accomplishments have been very minimal which is a shame as I had high hopes when voting for him in the last election.

Old 07-11-2017, 05:11 PM

3,298 posts, read 3,887,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
I believe the main criticism of the mayor besides the burgeoning homeless numbers itself is the general feeling that he's fine with it so long as it's not an issue in say Point Breeze.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins2 View Post
That permanent homeless camp has been on the Northside all of my life. This is nothing new. Peduto at least had the heart to relocate the individuals instead of bulldozing and throwing away homeless peoples belongings.
I would rather see the people live in permanent shelters and given mental health therapy, including rehab options. The northside camp choice seems to be the most cost effective and the least problematic for the favored neighborhoods.

Old 07-11-2017, 05:15 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times
Quote:
The homeless population on the northside (& other areas) has certainly very visibly grown as have the issues associated that such a population brings. I believe the main criticism of the mayor besides the burgeoning homeless numbers itself is the general feeling that he's fine with it so long as it's not an issue in say Point Breeze.

I don't think he's the 'worst mayor ever' but he's also not a particularly good one thus far as his actual accomplishments have been very minimal which is a shame as I had high hopes when voting for him in the last election.
Yep, we are becoming super liberal and with that comes a host of problems like a TON of homeless people moving in and more crime. Wish I could just avoid the city all the time these days, but it is what it is. I think Pedudo isn't all that great, but I liked Murphy and many people didn't like him much.

Old 07-11-2017, 05:46 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,879,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
I would rather see the people live in permanent shelters and given mental health therapy, including rehab options. The northside camp choice seems to be the most cost effective and the least problematic for the favored neighborhoods.
Exactly; if you're choosing to be homeless then you have obvious mental issues that should be dealt with. If you're not choosing to be but are because of life circumstances then food, shelter & other assistance would be phenomenally helpful & if drugs are the issue then again, assistance is needed. Shoving people off into a camp is both detrimental to the homeless & the residents & I don't know how anyone can support such a policy

Old 07-11-2017, 06:34 PM

2,768 posts, read 1,581,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enough_Already View Post
Not from where I sit. He has done a terrible job. He is more interested in creating a national image for himself than he is doing what is good for the city. What good that is happening is in spite of him.
I just wish he'd put some freaking road signs around the city!

How is there no sign directing out-of-town drivers the way to Rt. 28 when you come out of the Fort Pitt Tunnel, and still no signage for 28 when you cross the Fort Pitt Bridge, and still no direction to 28 when you get to the Fort Duquesne Bridge?

There are signs for 376, 279, and 65, but no signage for 28.

Old 07-11-2017, 07:43 PM

3,110 posts, read 2,915,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmonburgher View Post
I just wish he'd put some freaking road signs around the city!

How is there no sign directing out-of-town drivers the way to Rt. 28 when you come out of the Fort Pitt Tunnel, and still no signage for 28 when you cross the Fort Pitt Bridge, and still no direction to 28 when you get to the Fort Duquesne Bridge?

There are signs for 376, 279, and 65, but no signage for 28.
Because you have to get onto 279 before you get onto 28. There are also no signs for 22 on the Ft Pitt Bridge because you first have to travel on 376.

I also believe that would be a state level issue, not a mayoral issue.

Old 07-11-2017, 07:46 PM

3,110 posts, read 2,915,413 times
Quote:
Exactly; if you're choosing to be homeless then you have obvious mental issues that should be dealt with. If you're not choosing to be but are because of life circumstances then food, shelter & other assistance would be phenomenally helpful & if drugs are the issue then again, assistance is needed. Shoving people off into a camp is both detrimental to the homeless & the residents & I don't know how anyone can support such a policy
What policy? To place homeless people in camps? Where is that a policy? You cannot force treatment, so you can offer assistance and keep forcing them to move around, but you can’t make them not be homeless. I believe their stance is they will not kick them out of that area, and throw everything they own away while they can work with them to get them the help they need. That help though cannot be forced.

Old 07-11-2017, 08:14 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,598,215 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
What policy? To place homeless people in camps? Where is that a policy? You cannot force treatment, so you can offer assistance and keep forcing them to move around, but you can’t make them not be homeless. I believe their stance is they will not kick them out of that area, and throw everything they own away while they can work with them to get them the help they need. That help though cannot be forced.

I spend a lot of time around the Northside's homeless population; I make a point of engaging with them, talking to them, and talking to the people who work at the facilities around here (esp. Light of Life). Aside from just generally agreeing with PghYinzer, I just want to add that yes, mental illness is a huge problem for a large percentage of these people, but there's a lot more to it too -- drug abuse is sadly also rampant. All that can really be done, short of outright incarceration (which I would very strongly oppose), is to make the resources freely available. That's what is being done. Nobody likes the fact that the camp exists, but it's not some grand plan on anyone's part (including Peduto's). It's just the reality of a city, and every city has some version of this, and there are things we can do to help individual people but there's always going to be some that slip through the cracks -- not because anyone wanted them to slip through, but because they have individual agency and will live as they live. It's sad and it's hard to watch, but I honestly do think there are smart people working hard to improve the situation for everyone, as much as it can be improved, in the cases that are not damaged beyond repair.

Old 07-11-2017, 08:20 PM

12,390 posts, read 7,092,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prnlvsxy View Post
I've never heard a Republican say they would vote for Biden.

Dems said there was going to be a large numbers of Republicans that were going to vote for Hillary, I got a good laugh over that one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh