Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2017, 11:58 AM

1 posts, read 767 times

Advertisements

Hey all, my wife and I are moving to Friendship in mid August, and now that we finally have an address we're trying to get pre-k sorted out for our 3 year-old (turning 4 in Sept). We are, of course, past the initial application deadlines for just about everywhere. We've been waitlisted for the PPS pre-k at Woolslair, Montessori, and Obama; the Waldorf School hasn't returned our email, and we're waiting to hear about availability at CMU's program. I'm also going to look into Temple Beth Shalom, Stephen Foster, Shady Lane, Carlow, and La Escuelita. Thanks to everyone who answered previous threads to get me this far!

But in many ways "Little Tots Academy"--on Friendship across the parklet from the hospital--seems like a reasonable option. I'd love to be able to walk to pickup and dropoff, and it seems to be affordable (which is both good and potentially suspicious). But I've only found a couple of reviews (positive), and not much mention of it anywhere else. Anyone have any experience with this place, or at least hear anything that you could pass along? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2017, 11:59 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,957,035 times
I don't know anything about this particular daycare facility, but in Pittsburgh, not having a waiting list is probably a bad sign.

Old 07-13-2017, 12:53 PM

4,359 posts, read 7,527,671 times
If you are willing to stroke a check to the Waldorf School or Carlow then I would at least explore the private schools and some of the Catholic Schools. (Winchester, Shadyside, St. Edmunds, Kentucky Ave. School, St. Bedes and Sacred Heart)

Also, Shadyside Presbyterian Church has had a preschool for years.

Old 07-17-2017, 08:16 AM

3 posts, read 3,467 times
Hi there, I am a former child care director (worked in the North Side) and have worked in the field for many years a teacher and supervisor. I know work in the field as an Early Childhood advocate. Maybe I can help a bit.

In Pennsylvania all child care facilities have to be licensed by the state, and there is a voluntary quality rating system called Keystone STARS. You can view the quality level and inspections from my center by using the Child Care Compass tool. It looks like the center that you are asking about is not in the state quality system. Some programs are very high quality but don't participate in the system but it's super beneficial (grants for materials, professional development for staff, additional subsidy rates and education awards for staff) so the majority of programs that are high quality choose to be a part of the system. Programs that reach high quality ratings --Keystone STAR 3 or 4 have met requirements for staff education, child assessments, curriculum, and classroom materials.

All of the other programs that you listed are considered to be high quality either through Keystone STARS or the national system NAEYC.

Usually if a program's rates are low it means that they either have a good bit of outside funding (like from a church) or they are cutting costs in other ways like having staff that don't have a lot of formal education or providing staff with a decent wage or benefits which leads to lots of staff churn lack of consistency in care.

Good luck! Let me know if you have other questions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh