Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2017, 02:50 AM

65 posts, read 54,023 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm someone who is new to driving in snowy/icy weather as I am from much warmer places. I am moving to Pittsburgh soon and am looking to get a car since I have to commute to work.

A couple of questions:
  • is FWD or 4WD a must for the hills and snow?
  • Would you recommend 4 or 6 cylinders? Which would be better for climbing hills (esp. icy hills)?
  • Sedan or SUV? SUVs sit higher so is a higher center of gravity more dangerous? Or do SUVs have better longevity since the salt doesn't damage engines and transmissions?
  • Any other tips or advice for owning a car and driving in the snowy/icy weather?

Thank you!

Old 07-19-2017, 04:52 AM

4,240 posts, read 4,888,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noblerare View Post
Hi, I'm someone who is new to driving in snowy/icy weather as I am from much warmer places. I am moving to Pittsburgh soon and am looking to get a car since I have to commute to work.

A couple of questions:
  • is FWD or 4WD a must for the hills and snow?
  • Would you recommend 4 or 6 cylinders? Which would be better for climbing hills (esp. icy hills)?
  • Sedan or SUV? SUVs sit higher so is a higher center of gravity more dangerous? Or do SUVs have better longevity since the salt doesn't damage engines and transmissions?
  • Any other tips or advice for owning a car and driving in the snowy/icy weather?

Thank you!
Hello welcome to Pittsburgh!

4wd is not a "must" but doesn't hurt to have it. Honestly, it doesn't help that much unless you are stuck in very deep snow.

I have a 4 cylinder SUV and it does fine. However, a larger engine will help but again, not required.

I'd definitely suggest an SUV, especially if you are concerned about it. Cars do fine most of the time but the few times a year we get a more than 3 or 4" it's nice to have the SUV. As for the salt, occasionally in mid winter, we will get a 50 degree thaw day and bingo use that day to wash the salt off your car.

Don't over think driving in the snow. Sure it can be concerning at first, but take your time and you will be fine

Old 07-19-2017, 06:11 AM

6,357 posts, read 5,012,834 times
noblerare, specifics are very important here.

do you know where you will be living? i mean, localized to cross-streets and not generalized areas like North Hills, South Hills, etc.

And, do you know where you will be working? Again, specifics are key.

Someone can say "Pittsburgh is tough driving in winter", but here is why specifics are important: if you are in the Beechview neighborhood, you will be well aware of the (in)famous car slaloms down steep, icy hills. But then again, some neighborhoods across the East End of the city do not have that issue.

Chances are, a 4wd will be unecessary - less so than being prepared with time, patience, and common sense. Again, your choice of neighborhood will have to do with how difficult it may be to get around in winter.

Welcome, by the way!

Old 07-19-2017, 07:26 AM

1,491 posts, read 1,447,129 times
subarus are great cars and do excellent in all types of conditions/terrain. the forester or crosstrek have more ground clearance if thats a concern for you, but any subaru would be just fine if you are not interested in going full SUV.

as szug-bot mentioned, the exact location is a big factor here. Some areas are very steep and not easy for the city to maintain. beechview and the south side slopes are two very tricky neighborhoods to navigate in a snowstorm. But a lot of neighborhoods are pretty easy. The city is very good about getting at least the major evacuation routes cleared in a timely manor. They do tend to over use salt in this region, so you will notice a lot of rusted out fenders on cars 7+ years old which is a shame. Also, the suspension and under carriage of cars tend to rust as well, making some repairs a real pain for your mechanic.

welcome to pittsburgh

Old 07-19-2017, 07:35 AM

12,529 posts, read 17,454,969 times
I have a Mazda 3 and with 4 snow tires I have no problem at all. Whatever you drive, put snow tires on ALL 4 wheels, makes a big difference.

Old 07-19-2017, 08:24 AM

3,733 posts, read 5,935,409 times
Not necessary to have an SUV. I used to have one and the only time I used the 4WD was in 2010 during a big snow, which is rare. Other times, my 4 cylinder front-wheel drive is fine. It's not Minnesota.

Old 07-19-2017, 09:29 AM

112 posts, read 160,792 times
I have to chime in on Subaru as well. I got a crosstrek last fall and it was amazing in the winter. We didn't get much snow but when we did, my car handled it like a champ.

Old 07-19-2017, 09:33 AM

1,701 posts, read 1,587,748 times
Where is work, and where do you plan to live? I wouldn't worry unless you plan to live in a really hilly location -- areas like Stanton Heights are more likely to need 4WD I would imagine.

Old 07-19-2017, 10:57 AM

4,357 posts, read 6,499,037 times
For the most part Front Wheel Drive cars are adequate for the Pittsburgh region. Four wheel comes in handy when living on a more rural road or an area that gets plowed later.

Real problem was typically Ice. The ability to be both warmish and cold makes ice an issue when rain transitions to snow. Just use common sense and avoid driving in that.

Good Tires make the difference.

Old 07-19-2017, 11:06 AM

2,195 posts, read 2,573,168 times
I have a Subaru and it is my second. I have gotten around just fine in assorted other 2 and 4 wheel drive vehicles but hands down the Subie is my favorite. The only one that made me nervous was a little Hyundai accent that was just too lightweight to be able to grip the road well with more than a dusting of snow. Not just for snow but it also really handles the heavy rain water ponding on the roads and highways issues we often get. I have yet to hydroplane in a Subaru.

Now for me owning a car is mostly for weekend use to get outside of the city. Since I work with Horses I sometimes need to be able to get into some areas where snow and rough country are a bigger concern. If it were not for that I could get by where I live without a car at all. I have all of the shopping I need within a 3 mile radius and my job as well. Busses run regularly where I am too so I can get pretty much anywhere in the city that way.

As above posters noted it might be best to figure out where you expect to live before deciding what kind and how much care you need to invest in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh